Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

kris416
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Here are some shots from tonights game. I'm posting sheepishly after viewing Russ' post not too long ago!

I was trying to improve on my shots from my last post and took all your feedback into consideration when shooting tonight.

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:41 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

throwing in one more...

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Kris, the first two look a bit soft to me...I'd crop #4 portrait, no action, just a stock shot. #5 is decent, but I'm looking for the shots later, as he goes for the shot. #6 is good action-wise, but soft again.

What focus mode are you using? Single Pt or Dynamic?

I'm curious as to why you dialed in EV -1.0/+1.0? Especially since EXIF shows Manual? EV adjustments don't have any bearing in Manual mode.

Chris

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:30 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Chris:

1 I should have tossed, yes. Significant cropping happened there which degraded the picture.
2 may be suffering from too much noise reduction, I will have to double check that.
5 and 6 were the same sequence. I liked the physicality and expression in 5.

Funny thing is I was shooting vertical the entire game, then at half the client asked me to shoot more pictures in landscape!!?? I'm not sure why because he didn't have time to talk during the game but I've since emailed him asking why (politely, mind you.. help me help you) so I'm curious to see his response.

I'm using single point focus and the EV was just settings from a previous shoot... I didn't bother bringing back to 0 because I was in Manual (lazy!)

Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Kris,

Who was the client and what was the discussion when you were hired for the gig?

Sometimes things change mid stream and you have to adapt......I shoot most of the athletics for Laurier here in Waterloo. They understand that Basketball is a portrait crop sport for sales but also request that I shoot a few landscape for the website. They have it set up with the main story and picture being horizontal and a certain aspect ratio. Makes it a pain in the backside but at the end of the day they are the client.....

The critique of the images you posted was accurate by Chris so I a won't repeat that.

Trevor

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

kris416 wrote:
Chris:

1 I should have tossed, yes. Significant cropping happened there which degraded the picture.
2 may be suffering from too much noise reduction, I will have to double check that.
5 and 6 were the same sequence. I liked the physicality and expression in 5.

Funny thing is I was shooting vertical the entire game, then at half the client asked me to shoot more pictures in landscape!!?? I'm not sure why because he didn't have time to talk during the game but I've since emailed him asking why (politely, mind you.. help me help you) so I'm curious to see his
...Show more
ah, been there, done that (forgot to switch settings)

I *think* more of us are seeing requests for landscape shots for web use...my editor likes one of both as they've been trying to get their website and FB more active so I've been shooting landscape more myself, despite hoops being such a vertical game.

Chris

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Kris,

Definite improvement on framing given that you haven't cut off important parts of your subjects in these images. Check. Action might have been a bit stronger in your previous post, though #s 2 and 6 in this post are on par. You already have addressed #1, and while the timing on #3 is fine, the angle doesn't work for me. #4's framing is too loose to my eye given that the only potential provided by the space on either side of him is for distraction. I realize that a tighter crop may lead to some of the same problems you face with #1.

And then there's color, pop, clarity and those kinds of image-quality issues, none of which seems just right here (though maybe I'm wrong and #4 nails all of these things). I suppose your WB and exposure settings are the only things you can control that will affect these qualities of your images, so I don't know what might be going on unless you're having to work with poor-quality light.

All of which leaves you with a lot to think about, so let's boil it down.

1. Framing: You seem to have made a great adjustment to how you are shooting and this has led to better framing. Keep it up, but don't go too far the "other way" and frame so loose that major crops become common.

2. Action: You've demonstrated an ability for seeing and capturing good action. If you're shooting entire games and your timing is decent, this could be more a matter of which shots you are choosing to present here than a matter of not capturing good action. Just remember that action rules.

3. Cropping: This is related to framing, but some of it you control at the moment you make the image, and the rest you control when you are post-processing. Don't handicap yourself by framing too loosely when you are making the images, and pay attention to what you are trying to convey (and how the movement of the action relates to this) when you are making your crops.

4. Color, WB, etc: I'm not sure what to recommend here other than proper exposure, fast shutter speeds and the best WB setting you can come up with.

5. Culling: It's easy to overlook the significance of your ability to see good images among the many photos you take. I virtually guarantee that if a more experienced photographer went through your entire take from this game, s/he would identify as relatively strong a few photos you'd passed over. So pay attention to what you see in others' work that you like, 'listen' to what others here are saying about what works within an image and what doesn't, work into your game-time challenges/goals capturing images that are similar to what you believe to be 'strong,' and bring all of this to your process of sorting through your images in search of your best. Oh, yeah, and keep shooting and posting.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Trevor, Chris:
It's exactly that: for the website. Obviously it's not a problem, and I did adapt (see pic4 ) without any problem. The question just caught me off-guard. I'm an insanely easy going person so adapting etc for me isn't a problem!

Russ:
I KNOW! re: color/POP... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. While I partially blame poor lighting (especially as you get closer to the basket on either end), some people would argue that there is plenty of light and stop whining. I think I just need to continue to work on developing an eye for this, because at the time I'm shooting, things look good to me... Also they are cycling lights... so that's another issue to deal with.
If you want to cull the collection of so-called keepers, I have them on a google drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B9fKIk2Zie4jQnBHeXY3WWNuek0

I don't actually expect you to go through but it's there if you really want to judge my "culling"

Russ, Chris, Trevor: You guys rock... thanks so much for all this feedback. I greatly appreciate it and of course it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Kris,

I checked out the Power website and aside from the facebook group of images it does not look like they have a "house Photographer".

It might be worth talking to the client about renting the Mississauga Majors strobes for the games. I shot a Globe Trotters event for the CP at the Kitchener Aud and I rented the strobes for that event. I went in a day early and chatted it up with the guy who shoots rangers games and they are pretty open to renting them for events since they have them up there and typically only use them for hockey.

If you look at the shots from the London Lightning I would think they are using the London Knights strobes as he is shooting at 1/500 and ISO 1600. I have been in the Bud gardens and the light is good, but not that good.....

Just a thought.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:02 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Trevor thats a great idea but we are doing this for..... Free.

Im not spending a dime on this! Its a learning opportunity.

I still need to even learn about using strobes etc.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:06 PM
figo

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

#2 is my fav.
The rest of the set looks good.

Jan 18, 2014 at 09:10 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More (pro) basketball.. am I getting better?

Thanks Figo

Jan 18, 2014 at 09:41 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.