Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

I'm considering selling my 1DsIII and 1DIV and buying a 1Dx mostly for the better AF and better LCD screen. It would be a general purpose camera for sports, people and landscapes. My only two concerns is that I will be loosing a second (and back up body - I do have a T2i for that), and I will be loosing "pixels on a duck". Will I miss those duck pixels?

I occassionally make 20 x 30 inch prints.

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Richard Nye wrote:
... I will be loosing "pixels on a duck". Will I miss those duck pixels.

No.

After the dust settles for a while, you could pick up a 6D for a "real" backup camera.

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Ha! I bought the T2i with Tammy 17-50 lens for my "point and shoot".

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:44 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Shoot in raw......I used to shoot in raw with my D30 and make prints that size.....you won't miss the few pixels.....

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:56 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

In better light, under FL limited situations you may miss the 1D4's pixel density. Just depends on the conditions. In bad lighting the high ISO performance of the 1DX reigns supreme.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:08 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Having had 2 1Dmk4's and now having sold both for 1Dx's you wont miss a pixel or duck for one second.
Files are far more croppable without artifact buildup.
I shot mk4 and 1Dx side by side similar focal length to see if it was worth keeping a Mk4.
After about 2 days it was apparent that it wasnt so i sold it and bought a second X.
Loved my Mk4's but dont miss them for a second..

Jan 16, 2014 at 08:00 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Thanks dehowie. Canon says that even though there aren't as many pixels as 1DsIII (or pixel density of the 1DIV) the pixel quality of the 1Dx is higher, so the IQ of the photos is better. I guess it's the 1Dx for me. And I thought the 1DsIII would be my last camera...

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

NO you will not, anyone who says you will doesn't own the thing and is just regurgitating years of forum nonsense.

Even the FL limited scenarios, the 1DX produces better quality cropped photos than equivalent stuff from the older cameras. I don't have 1DsIII but I do have 5D2, 5D3 and 1DX and 1D4 so I at least can come to my own conclusions.

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:47 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Exactly, Geoff. Thankfully, those pixel-per-duck and camera "reach" discussions have subsided as of late.

Jan 17, 2014 at 08:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

I'd be very surprised if at ISO's below about 800 the 1Dx images looked better than the 1Ds3 ones (in RAW with decent processing).

Of course at higher ISO's the 1Dx would be vastly better and it has an LCD and a range of features and speed the 1Ds3 would die for, but at low ISO's I think the 1Ds3 would hold it's own for IQ

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

dhphoto wrote:
I'd be very surprised if at ISO's below about 800 the 1Dx images looked better than the 1Ds3 ones (in RAW with decent processing)...

I don't think they're particularly better, but you won't miss the 1DsIII after getting a 1DX. That's what I did. Of course, since then, I've replaced a 5DII with two 6D, and so I have most of the bases covered.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

jcolwell wrote:
I don't think they're particularly better, but you won't miss the 1DsIII after getting a 1DX. That's what I did. Of course, since then, I've replaced a 5DII with two 6D, and so I have most of the bases covered.

It looks a lovely camera but I have no need for one with my slow tripod based industrial work or business portraits. If I need high ISO I have both a 5D3 and a 6D. The new LCD would be nice though.

For sport and action guys I expect the 1Dx is fantastic, but the IQ (and pliability of RAW files) I get from my 1Ds3 is plenty for me.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

dhphoto wrote:
I'd be very surprised if at ISO's below about 800 the 1Dx images looked better than the 1Ds3 ones (in RAW with decent processing)...

jcolwell wrote:

dhphoto wrote:
It looks a lovely camera but I have no need for one with my slow tripod based industrial work or business portraits. If I need high ISO I have both a 5D3 and a 6D. The new LCD would be nice though.

For sport and action guys I expect the 1Dx is fantastic, but the IQ (and pliability of RAW files) I get from my 1Ds3 is plenty for me.

I agree, completely. I was very happy with the 1DsIII, but I was often limited by its max. fps and buffering, when using the 1DsIII alongside the 1DIV, for sports and other action stuff. What I really wanted was a high fps, full frame camera. The 1DX is exactly that. I figured I wouldn't miss the extra MPx compared to the 1DsIII, and I was right. OTOH, I've always had a 5D-series body kicking around, too.

After getting used to the excellent low light AF and high ISO performance offered by the 1DX, I abandoned using flash for many event situations where I previously used it. That's why I picked up my first 6D to replace my 5DII; as FF backup for low light event photography, plus smaller, and etc. The 6D silent shutter is so 'soft' and innocous, that I bought a second 6D to replace an X Pro-1 for intimate events, and so now I use my full lineup of f/2.8 L II zooms with the two 6D's, plus an X100s for the really quiet times.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:39 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

dhphoto wrote:
but the IQ (and pliability of RAW files) I get from my 1Ds3 is plenty for me.

Yes, I love the "pliability" of the 1Ds3 raw files. I can push them in post quite a bit before the IQ starts falling apart. Same with the 1Dx? Better? Worse?

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Staklo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

As a former 1Ds3 user who loved that camera and bought it when it was first released, I decided to skip the 1DX and I'm using the 5D3 as my primary until the next generation high(er) MP studio body comes out. For me, the 5D2 and 1DX both followed the 1Ds3 too soon to justify cost of replacement or upgrade, and now the 1DX has been out too long, a replacement can't be too far off. So the 5D3 is doing me quite well in the interim, and I'm really liking the higher ISO range and other new stuff since the 1Ds3 and it should make a great backup body down the road. If you can find a used 1DX for the right price, it probably will serve you (and any ducks you come across) just fine, but I would not buy new at this point. I'm sure others can (and have, quite nicely) speak from actual pixel comparisons, my view is more from the practical budget standpoint.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

I own all those 3 cameras. And I don't "miss more pixels on a duck" when shooting with the 1DX

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

OP,

I made the same trade off as you (sell 1DsIII and 1DIV, buy 1Dx). It was wrenching to do. I'm still in the preliminary stage because a bad bout of flu has kept me down, and I clearly don't have control of the AF system though progress is being made. I can say categorically in action shots at ISO 6400 the 1Dx is all over the 1DIV. Since I'm often forced to go that high in the venues I shoot, that's a big plus. As for replacing the 1DsIII, I haven't been well enough to even care so that's on hold.

The following will sound a bit weird but here goes. I've owned or used ever 1D() except the first two. I loved them all. The 1Dx feels like a different camera not a continuation of the previous lineage. My hands accept the body ok though there are a few differences and I was surprised at how much I noticed the slightly greater weight. Muscle memory I think and not a big deal. The controls are mostly the same and while the menu system has been throughly rearranged most of what I'm use to is there. It's in the actual execution of the shot where I start to wonder if Canon hasn't slipped something fundamentally new into what is basically the same old black box. Shutter sound, speed of AF acquisition, light gathering in the viewfinder particularly in the dark corners of the gym, the whole framing of the picture and how quickly it presents, these all seem different to me and I think better.

I could of course be full of it has I've been downing a lot of cough syrup lately so I'm not willing to bet on my first impressions. Also It could all just be cognitive dissonance (or confirmation bias as it's labeled in another thread), but I really don't think so as I don't need or care about proving anything to anyone. I expected a camera that would be incrementally better as all of the previous models have been. I'm not sure this is. I have to get well and to get out and do some landscape work before I'll stand up and yell about this. My hypothesis is that I'm going to want more to work with in my landscape and "art" work, (maybe a 6D? maybe a 5DIII?) but who knows?

Am I a singular and weird outlier here or has anybody else noted a phenomena similar to this? (This is not a scientific and/or measurable thing at least not yet for me.)

Robert

Jan 17, 2014 at 02:18 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

OntheRez wrote:
OP,

I made the same trade off as you (sell 1DsIII and 1DIV, buy 1Dx). It was wrenching to do. I'm still in the preliminary stage because a bad bout of flu has kept me down, and I clearly don't have control of the AF system though progress is being made. I can say categorically in action shots at ISO 6400 the 1Dx is all over the 1DIV. Since I'm often forced to go that high in the venues I shoot, that's a big plus. As for replacing the 1DsIII, I haven't been well enough to even care so that's on
...Show more
Robert, I have a similar sense about the 1DX, after using it for a year and a half. Every one of the 1D series was solid and responsive, but this one has a quality to the sound that's "better", AF results that seem not only accurate but more what I "want them to be", and also raw files that allow just that much more tweaking and end up just that much cleaner than previous generation DSLRs. IOW, subjectively it's very enjoyable to use, and the objective results are great. I end up with files I prefer to those I get from the 1DIV even for FL limited distant shooting. Someday there will be a 30 or 40 MP replacement, and if I can manage to buy one I'll get spoiled by that, but right now the X still feels really special. Considering how quickly digital cameras tend to seem dated, I'd say that's something. I have a 5DIII and love it, but do the 1DX files seem inferior because of the "missing" pixels? Nope.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Staklo wrote:
As a former 1Ds3 user who loved that camera and bought it when it was first released, I decided to skip the 1DX and I'm using the 5D3 as my primary until the next generation high(er) MP studio body comes out. For me, the 5D2 and 1DX both followed the 1Ds3 too soon to justify cost of replacement or upgrade, and now the 1DX has been out too long, a replacement can't be too far off. So the 5D3 is doing me quite well in the interim, and I'm really liking the higher ISO range and other new stuff since
...Show more

I'm thinking of selling both my 1D4 and 1Ds3 and buying a used 1Dx. I can do that for about $200. I thought about selling only my 1Ds3 and buying a used 5D3 (and keeping my 1D4), that would cost me about $500. I like the 1D form factor better and I thought I would miss that if I bought the 5D3. I like to buy used and stay with newer technology to minimize the $$ impact.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:17 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will I miss more pixels on a duck?

Richard Nye wrote:
I'm considering selling my 1DsIII and 1DIV and buying a 1Dx mostly for the better AF and better LCD screen. It would be a general purpose camera for sports, people and landscapes. My only two concerns is that I will be loosing a second (and back up body - I do have a T2i for that), and I will be loosing "pixels on a duck". Will I miss those duck pixels?

I occasionally make 20 x 30 inch prints.

It does make a difference, but not very much with the cameras you are discussing. It's a difference more important if you are focal limited, either by choice or by financial necessity, and under some circumstances (high ISO, etc.) more "pixels on the duck" may be a negative. Information on these links involve careful observations of images from the 1D MkIV, 1DX, and 5D MkIII in case you're interested.

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-1dx-field-review-and-impressions/

http://www.dougbrownphotography.com/2012/04/03/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-1d-mark-iv-high-iso/

Brian M.

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.