FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Johnny B Goode
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

I traveled to TN last September and got some excellent advice on places to visit from members here. In the middle of February I'll be flying to Seattle and driving down to visit my brother in Portland. As of right now it looks like I'm getting one day for my hiking and photography (2/14). I don't have the time to explore. We plan on leaving Seattle early on Valentine's day and driving down the coast. Any recommended routes or spots to stop would help. Looking to get into Portland around dinner time to have a nice dinner then off to my brother's home.

No need to give away the exact location of your secret spot. Just some awesome areas to explore.

Thank you in advance!

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:09 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Since neither Seattle nor Portland are on the coast, your coastal drive will take most of your daylight hours. If you take the direct route along I-5 you will save about 4 hours and go through some beautiful snow-capped mountains.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:57 PM
rjtmmt

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

It sounds as if you have already decided to drive the coastal highway from Seattle to Portland.
This will be a full day, especially with the shortened days of winter. If you are up for a real long day
you might want to consider taking a ferry across to the Olympic Penisula, and then taking the coastal
highway down. There are many small coastal towns that will serve you well., Many beach setting
You might also want to drive across and take pics of the bridge across the Columbia and stop \
in Astoria for some interesting views.
An alternative to the coastal route would be to head inland to Yakima to see the site where the
Rocky Mt Sheep and Elk winter. There should be over 1,000 elk and several miles away are variable
numbers of bighorn sheep. I would recommend driving hwy 12 which is very scenic, and beautiful
Mt. St. Helens views.
Either way you will enjoy. The coast will be slower and will take a very full day to just drive it
good luck

Jan 16, 2014 at 07:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Have you mapped out your drive yet? You said that you were going to be able to have one day to hiking and photography, but as already noted by others, if you choose to drive down the coast, your whole day will be spent driving down the coast without any time left for hiking and photography.

My suggestions...

1. Drive straight on the I-5 to Portland and head to Cannon Beach and shoot that beach. Then head back to Portland after sunset.

2. Drive straight on the I-5 to Portland and instead head west to Columbia River Gorge, spending the afternoon hiking around and photographing any number of waterfalls.

3. Drive straight on the I-5 and detouring to Mt St Helens as suggested by rjmmt.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Johnny B Goode
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Thank you. I've only driven I-5 once going from Portland to Seattle in the early hours of the morning to catch a plane. I only just decided to make the trip last week so the plans are sketchy at best. I thought HWY 101 looked like a fun twisty road along the coast, by no means a necessity but I thought it looked promising. I'll look up these recommendations! Thank you!

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:06 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Johnny B Goode wrote:
Thank you. I've only driven I-5 once going from Portland to Seattle in the early hours of the morning to catch a plane. I only just decided to make the trip last week so the plans are sketchy at best. I thought HWY 101 looked like a fun twisty road along the coast, by no means a necessity but I thought it looked promising. I'll look up these recommendations! Thank you!

Hwy 101 is a very fun twisty road, but you stated you wanted to do hiking and photography on that same day. I think the point all 3 of us were trying to make is it's one or the other really.

Either drive Hwy 101 with no hiking and perhaps a few quick snapshots out the window while driving, or take the I-5 to be able to get to Portland faster and then do a short side trip with the time saved so you can do the hiking and photography you inquired about.

Jim

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:15 AM
Johnny B Goode
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Makes sense. Which beach would be the one to go to where the cliffs, sand, and ocean meet? Might just do a day trip to the ocean from Portland or Seattle if need be.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Cape Kiwanda - Pacific City or Oceanside

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

JimFox wrote:
2. Drive straight on the I-5 to Portland and instead head west to Columbia River Gorge, spending the afternoon hiking around and photographing any number of waterfalls.

Jim

The Columbia river gorge is east of Portland.

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · assistance looking for locations in the Pacific NW

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I traveled to TN last September and got some excellent advice on places to visit from members here. In the middle of February I'll be flying to Seattle and driving down to visit my brother in Portland. As of right now it looks like I'm getting one day for my hiking and photography (2/14). I don't have the time to explore. We plan on leaving Seattle early on Valentine's day and driving down the coast. Any recommended routes or spots to stop would help. Looking to get into Portland around dinner time to have a nice dinner then
...Show more

If you want to do photography around Portland, do Multnomah Falls, Horsetail falls oregon and Vista House/Crown Point.

If you want to drive further, go to Mount Hood via Government Camp and shoot Lake Trillium, Ramona Falls, and mount Hood.

If you really want to go to the coast, go shoot Cannon Beach. (but you loose time, less hiking and diversity in photographs)

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.