Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

mattdoebler

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Innovation has been relatively quiet at PCB since yhe Einsteins and PLMs came out a few years ago. Anyone want to speculate what PCB may be developing?

Jan 16, 2014 at 03:31 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

I bet within 12-18 months, they will have something similar to the Profoto B1's at less than half the price.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:49 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

That'd what I was thinking, but I don't see him trying to include ettl. Maybe a new and improved cyber commander as well.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Quote from PCB on 11/25/13 related to new products in the pipeline: "Still in progress. No problems, but vendor delays have put it out a couple of months from now. We'll announce when we have a solid delivery schedule. Actually, a couple of new products, with one being pretty major and one not so much."

Could it be an Einstein-like product with a self-contained power source? Battery technology has evolved since the Einstein was originally designed, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

A more powerful Einstein would be a welcome addition.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Battery powered Einstein would be major, although I would hope for something more like the Quadra/ranger system. A lighter kit that still packed a punch and had the power range and digital interface of the Einstein.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

A more powerful Einstein, and an Einstein ringflash please! The CyberCommander is just about perfect the way it is. The only change I would like to see is to be able to hide the unused channels/groups so you don't have to scroll through them to get back and forth.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM
saelee
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Quote from PCB on 11/25/13 related to new products in the pipeline: "Still in progress. No problems, but vendor delays have put it out a couple of months from now. We'll announce when we have a solid delivery schedule. Actually, a couple of new products, with one being pretty major and one not so much."

Could it be an Einstein-like product with a self-contained power source? Battery technology has evolved since the Einstein was originally designed, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch.

Where did you see that quote from? The last thing on his news feed on his website is the announcement of the Canadian Repair Center on 1-7-13.

The last update of a new product that I heard from him was an interview on the podcast TWIP, when he said he will release a bigger VML. He said it will be released in the new few months. This was back in Dec of 2011.

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:24 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

The quote is here

Jan 19, 2014 at 07:59 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

I really like my Einsteins and Cyber Commander. They interface really well together. I look forward to whatever new might be coming down the pipe!

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Something like the Quadras and the B1s would be awesome, but it's all a guess at this point. Just happy to know that they're always innovating and delivering gear at a great price.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM
saelee
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

BigIronCruiser wrote:
The quote is here

Thanks.

He said 2 months to 2 years.
Whatever it is, I hope it is worth the wait.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Bailey

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Emailed them and the response was nothing new at the moment.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:28 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

Rainbow colored strobes that emit a squirt of perfume every time fired.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:33 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

They told me they won't release anything ttl related and nothing like that is being designed. If a new product comes out, it will be 100% backwards compatible (like remotes and triggers they told me), but that is not anytime soon.
I like it that they keep it simple. TTL might be handy for some on-location shoots if it has to go fast tho...
PS: Paul Buff is also active on FM (saw some of his posts here).

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:50 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

playerofwar wrote:
PS: Paul Buff is also active on FM (saw some of his posts here).

Fred banned Mr Buff several years ago seemingly because (my impression) the guy's a prickly/genius/jerk. Unfortunate, because I'd probably be better off with his products than the Elinchrom system I chose. But all the drama was unfolding when I was researching a new system and I simply disliked the guy so went with another brand.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/997317/5?keyword=Paul,Buff#9510767

Feb 26, 2014 at 07:44 AM
pmiller228
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

I just want LED modeling lamps for my Einsteins + vml.

Feb 26, 2014 at 01:28 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

nolaguy wrote:
Fred banned Mr Buff several years ago seemingly because (my impression) the guy's a prickly/genius/jerk. Unfortunate, because I'd probably be better off with his products than the Elinchrom system I chose. But all the drama was unfolding when I was researching a new system and I simply disliked the guy so went with another brand.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/997317/5?keyword=Paul,Buff#9510767

I read the whole thread and Buff was as civil as anyone can be with such a troll. Man that guy is one of the most annoying people I've come upon. I am an Eli user so I have no bias with Buff products.

Feb 27, 2014 at 04:47 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

I hear you, hijazist.

I was just noting the thread wherein the ban occurred. The fuller context included many threads and apparently the behavior that lead to Fred shutting him down had been going on for quite a while. I don't recall much of the detail other than it turned me off in a hurry - and I think it's fair to say Mr Buff has a reputation for being a gifted engineer but a very abrasive, self-absorbed personality.

Nevertheless, his products, company and talent are admired by many and their customer service seems to be among the best (if not the best) in the industry.

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:41 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What does Paul Buff have coming down the pipeline?

The cybercommander has a hideous user interface and battery life and should be re-vamped. I've been using it for over a year. Love the functionality and it blows away anything else but in terms of usability it's pretty much a disaster. It's also a bit cheap. The switches are low quality and there have been many reports of problems with triggering and using them to ramp power up and down. (IMO of course...)

A big improvement could be gleaned by revamping the display to a lower power requirement allowing the use of NiMH batteries and improving battery life.

Having a software program which can configure the device and then download the configuration would be a huge improvement.

Again, I'll say I love the functionality, just think it could be improved.

I don't think they'll do any of this, however.

I think folks wishing for a higher powered einstein or B1 functionality are wrong. The einstein market segment is not the one with the most potential revenue IMO.

I think what you'll see is a redesign of the alien bee flash units to support remote flash and modeling power control. I'd like to see the radio built in but given the investment they have in the plug-in receivers they'll probably just put a slot in it for the remote receiver. That way, folks with existing cybers and triggers will now be able to configure the cheaper line. It's the cheaper line which is the biggest selling product from what I understand. The cheaper line is also the one that's under fire from the asian market that is now selling cheap flashes that - on paper - have equivalent capabilities with the addition of features remote power control.

Feb 27, 2014 at 09:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.