New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Here's Thom Hogan's take on the 58 f/1.4.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/nikon-lens-reviews/nikon-58mm-f14g-af-s.html

In two sentences

- Not as sharp as the Otis.
- Better than any of the 50mm offerings but not worth the price premium.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

I have a hard time spending $1700 on a fifty let alone $4K. After seeing the bokeh from the 58 I want it.....but have been resisting because of the price.

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:57 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Price wasn't too concern for me when choosing between both. I went with the overpriced plastic fantastic. No regrets...it's the look I was hoping for. Though it's great to see the otus push the limits.

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

VinnieJ wrote:
I have a hard time spending $1700 on a fifty let alone $4K. After seeing the bokeh from the 58 I want it.....but have been resisting because of the price.

I here you Vinnie ... at $900 I'd spring for it as I've been waiting for a lens like this for DX for a long long time (longer than a D400 even) ... at $1700, nope! Just too pricy

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:02 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
I here you Vinnie ... at $900 I'd spring for it as I've been waiting for a lens like this for DX for a long long time (longer than a D400 even) ... at $1700, nope! Just too pricy

I'd have no problem justifying that price.

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:05 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

As silly as it is, Kai's review is to the point.

http://youtu.be/NK6zbvrd2OQ

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:08 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

low325 wrote:
As silly as it is, Kai's review is to the point.

http://youtu.be/NK6zbvrd2OQ

He said it basically has a built in hood because of it's recessed front element just like Thom did. I have to admit I only use hoods with telephotos so it would work out well for me.

Edited on Jan 16, 2014 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:19 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Magical lens for portraits. I'm really enjoying it.

I guess it would be cool if the lens was made of chrome, or aluminum, or titanium. But I posted a video to YouTube where it sits next the 85 1.4G. They look and feel very similar to me. Rarely hear complaints about the plastic on the 85. I have great affection for both lenses - to me they are pretty. But maybe my opinion is jaded since they pay my bills. Frankly, ever Nikkor I own gives me satisfaction when I mount and handle it. Except maybe the wee little 60 macro.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

ohsnaphappy wrote:

I guess it would be cool if the lens was made of chrome, or aluminum, or titanium. But I posted a video to YouTube where it sits next the 85 1.4G. They look and feel very similar to me. Rarely hear complaints about the plastic on the 85. I have great affection for both lenses - to me they are pretty. But maybe my opinion is jaded since they pay my bills. Frankly, ever Nikkor I own gives me satisfaction when I mount and handle it. Except maybe the wee little 60
...Show more

i know the feeling. i actually like the looks and build of the nikkors. i havent had a paid gig in such a long time now since my family has doubled. and quite frankly i will probably just end up photographing my family and slowly move away from acquiring gear outside of nice glass. i probably should sell off all my studio stuff..

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

ohsnaphappy wrote:

I guess it would be cool if the lens was made of chrome, or aluminum, or titanium. But I posted a video to YouTube where it sits next the 85 1.4G. They look and feel very similar to me. Rarely hear complaints about the plastic on the 85. I have great affection for both lenses - to me they are pretty. But maybe my opinion is jaded since they pay my bills. Frankly, ever Nikkor I own gives me satisfaction when I mount and handle it. Except maybe the wee little 60
...Show more

I too am happy with all my Nikkors, and feel they have been worth the extra money ... but I have to weigh the cost of a lens to the alternatives and my untilization. I have a particularly sharp 50 f/1.8 D ... though the bhoken has some to be desired with busy backgrounds ... but hard to argue with a $100 lens that produces such great results. For my untilization and having 6 kids, $1700 is hard to swallow for this lens ... too bad, because it seems like it would suit my needs nicely. Oh hummm....

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:39 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

ohsnaphappy wrote:

...Show more

Glad to hear you enjoying your glass and making money using them. That is what a good workman does... learning to use the tools he owns to get the job done well instead of blaming the tools.

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:57 PM
dilla712

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

This is a really, really attractive option as a portrait lens for DX. But it's practically priced out of DX range.

Jan 16, 2014 at 03:15 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

I have been looking at the Nikkor 58 but with the new Sigma 50 coming, I think the pricing and performance on it might be better.

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:08 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

I will stick with my 50MM f1.8D for now.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Since I don't use that focal length a lot, I think my 50 1.8g is great to cover it. But I am sure the 58 1.4g is great for those who use that focal length a lot.

I am crossing my fingers for a new Sigma 135 1.8

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
I too am happy with all my Nikkors, and feel they have been worth the extra money ... but I have to weigh the cost of a lens to the alternatives and my untilization. I have a particularly sharp 50 f/1.8 D ... though the bhoken has some to be desired with busy backgrounds ... but hard to argue with a $100 lens that produces such great results. For my untilization and having 6 kids, $1700 is hard to swallow for this lens ... too bad, because it seems like it would suit my needs nicely. Oh hummm....

I would reserve judgement and mourning until after the Sigma 50/1.4 makes its debut. At US$1700, the 58's pricing seems overly enthusiastic of Nikon, even though it's lower than the initial rumors (? Nikon trial balloon?). At $1000, the thing would be flying off shelves and out-of-stock, everywhere and indefinitely.

It indeed renders bokeh lovingly and improves upon the NOCT's characteristics but I was expecting more acute central sharpness WO, along the lines of the Otus. Yes, I know the arguments against this, and as an owner of a NOCT, I understand. But it need not be so.

Jan 29, 2014 at 04:33 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thom Hogan on the 58 f/1.4

hijazist wrote:
Since I don't use that focal length a lot, I think my 50 1.8g is great to cover it. But I am sure the 58 1.4g is great for those who use that focal length a lot.

I am crossing my fingers for a new Sigma 135 1.8

I'm not sure a better lens exists for $200 ish than the 50 1.8 G

Jan 29, 2014 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.