New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2014 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Fingerstyle78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

I just sold my pristine D600 on Ebay. The buyer got a very good deal for $1250.

I wasn't going to buy a replacement right away but then I see a D800 (the camera I've really wanted all along with a Vertax G12 battery grip for $1K Buy it now- seller rating- a big fat zero, but hey everyone has to start somewhere right?

I figure with Ebay buyer protection, using Bill me Later (fraud protection as well) through PayPal- secure with a third layer of fraud protection...what could go wrong. Well I guess I'll just have to find out.

Keeping my fingers crossed but also tempering my expectations. I just hope this doesn't turn into a giant headache. My general experience has been if it's too good to be true it usually is. BUT, every once in a while you might just get lucky.

Anyone have any encouraging stories about amazing deals they've gotten?

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Your in for a headache... guaranteed.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:10 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

No. You've just been scammed, and to be honest you're a complete fool because you know it too. You know it's not legit, and yes you now have a huge headache to deal with.

Sorry, but what a stupid and avoidable mistaker to maker!

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:13 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Sorry. Nobody here will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Obvious scam is obvious.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:15 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

'For parts'?

Do let us know how it goes though.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Well to be fair- I've never had a headache with ebay. If there is no tracking # and sig confirmation I'll be refunded by Ebay with buyer protection. If it does come and it's not as advertised- buyer protection. Every time I've ever asked to return an item or filed a case as a buyer Ebay has covered me and the buyer potection has worked. I've gotten my money (in this case credit) back each and every time. That's why I'm not very worried.

A friend of mine got a deal like this on Ebay as well on a Mark III. The fact that he got lucky was what enticed me to give it a try. With three levels of fraud protection I felt safe enough to take a shot at it. Any headache should be for the seller since PayPal has his bank account info and can slap him with a negative balance in order to return my money.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:31 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Look at it this way - if a seller can get $1,900-$2,000 for a camera why would a legitimate seller in his/her right mind would be willing to sell it to a complete stranger for $1,000 and then he/she will have to pay eBay fees and PayPal fees?

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

SAng wrote:
'For parts'?

Do let us know how it goes though.

Nope- listed as new and not grey market. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out regardless of the outcome.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:32 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

I don't know a lot about EBAY but I don't think they provide protection until a seller reaches a certain point of sales. This deal does seem to be to good to be true. Good luck.
I bought an 80-400 AF-D VR about 4 years after issue date for about 1/2 new price from a seller with 5 sales. Worked out okay

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:34 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

AGeoJO wrote:
Look at it this way - if a seller can get $1,900-$2,000 for a camera why would a legitimate seller in his/her right mind would be willing to sell it to a complete stranger for $1,000 and then he/she will have to pay eBay fees and PayPal fees?

++1

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:34 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

It will not work, and there are some ways that the seller can make life difficult trying to claim the buyer protection.

If it's too good to be true, it's a scam. Every time.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

good luck wit dat, guessing shutter count is <1000...congratulations...i guess..shoulda' listened to yer grandpappy on the old addage "if it's too good to be true"

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Post the link from the listing here.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

AGeoJO wrote:

I don't know. Any number of reasons.

1. Needs money fast. The post was up for about 6 minutes. There were 2 available- both gone within 6 minutes, mine paid for immediately.

2. Drug problem.

3. Wanted it off the internet as fast as possible for any number of reasons.

4. Angry wife selling husbands stuff for half it's value or doesn't know the value.

Long story short- Ebay guarantees the transaction so for that price I'm willing to find out if it's real or not. If it is, it's a heck of a nice score. If not I'll open a case, get my money back and buy something else down the line.

If I was a complete fool as a previous poster suggested I would have been looking on Craigslist and sending money via Western Union to some address in Africa. It's incredibly difficult to get away with a scam on Ebay, if not impossible. I've dealt with hundreds of sellers and hundreds of buyers, not been scammed once on either end.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:48 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

What's covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee

Most transactions on eBay.com are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Covered

Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing

A case is opened no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or for tickets, 7 days after the event

The purchase was made with the Pay Now option or an eBay invoice

One of the following payment methods was used:

PayPal

ProPay

Skrill

Credit card or debit card

Bill Me Later

The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with Bill Me Later)

Not covered

The following isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee:

Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn't as described in the listing. (See the seller's return policy for return options.)

Duplicate claims through other resolution methods

Items shipped to another address after original delivery

Vehicles (see the eBay Vehicle Protection Program), Real Estate, Business & Websites for Sale, Classified Ads, services, and some Business Equipment categories (see the eBay Business Equipment Purchase Protection).

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

MitchSC wrote:
I don't know a lot about EBAY but I don't think they provide protection until a seller reaches a certain point of sales. This deal does seem to be to good to be true. Good luck.
I bought an 80-400 AF-D VR about 4 years after issue date for about 1/2 new price from a seller with 5 sales. Worked out okay

I talked to a rep on Ebay who ensured me that they can't unlink their bank from their PayPal account, close PayPal account or Ebay account as long as there is an open transaction.

The rep ensured me that I would have no difficulty getting my money back (as I have done several times before) so long as I open a case in a timely manner- either on or abouts delivery date or on or abouts estimated delivery dates. She also ensured me that with 3 levels of fraud protection I am fully covered on this transaction.

If it works out it will be the best Ebay score I've ever gotten. Next in line was an acoustic guitar set of Brazilian Rosewood backs and sides (worth $500-600) for $150.00. I was nervous about that as well but it was real BRW and a smoking deal at that.

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:54 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Fingerstyle78 wrote:
I talked to a rep on Ebay who ensured me that they can't unlink their bank from their PayPal account, close PayPal account or Ebay account as long as there is an open transaction.

The rep ensured me that I would have no difficulty getting my money back (as I have done several times before) so long as I open a case in a timely manner- either on or abouts delivery date or on or abouts estimated delivery dates. She also ensured me that with 3 levels of fraud protection I am fully covered on this transaction.

If it works out it
...Show more

That's good to know. I'm probably thinking of the dark ages before PAYPal.

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:02 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

MitchSC wrote:
That's good to know. I'm probably thinking of the dark ages before PAYPal.

Yeah back when I was in college years ago, Ebay was new and a friend of mine bought a laptop for a great price, however what he received a box full of grass. That sucked for him and I never did find out what happened with that deal.

Those days were the hay days for scammers but these days Ebay has really got the whole process down with PayPal being linked directly to your bank account as a requirement for creating a seller's account.

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:09 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

Regarding the box of grass, I would suggest video documentation from when the parcel arrives to you opening it.

As for linking to a bank account, it is easy to setup a secondary account, link PP to that, and empty it out. PayPal can't do a thing then except cutoff the PP account, but by then the seller is gone.

So, if it arrives and you have any concerns, immediately open a Dispute with paypal and escalate to a Claim at the first possible moment - waste no time. When you escalate to a Claim, the PP funds are locked in the seller's account (if they are still there) until resolved.

PS: I would like to see the auction - would you be willing to share the link or the item number?

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:17 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Too good to be true? Best deal you've ever found

One time, just one time I did get an item for the 1/4 of the retail value on ebay, The seller had zero feedback but I requested contact information and they explained why they just wanted to get rid of the item. That being said I now only purchase on craigslist for large price used items now, and maybe fm in the future.

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.