New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Moving master pix database with Lr 5

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving master pix database with Lr 5

I've rooted around on this one, but can't seem to get a definitive answer. I going to move my entire collection of masters (note: not just the catalog) to a fast SSD. While the gains won't be enormous I think it will be enough to justify the cost.

Problem. How do I move the files so that Lr knows they've switched to another volume? Aperture was very good at this because you could just tell it to change volumes and it had no problem. Based on earlier experience Lr doesn't see to do this easily. I'm hoping not to have to build a whole new catalog and I certainly don't want to lose edits made in Lr so I've got to get it right.

Anyone who has completed such and action successfully, I would greatly appreciate your wisdom.

Robert

(BTW. Total collect size slightly <400GB. So no matter what it's going to take some time

Jan 15, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving master pix database with Lr 5

Ok , the easiest way I've found of getting LR to know about a drive is to import something to that drive .

So I just import 1 image into LR , and in the import dialogue I choose the new destination and create a folder name - in your case this could be LR MASTER FOLDER

Once that's done you can remove the imported image and the folder is still there as far as LR is concerned .
It's then a case of drag the folders (in LR) to this MASTER FOLDER .

Personally I'd say your whole set of raw images on an SSD is overkill . I very much doubt you'd see any day to day benefit . You may see (probably will) see faster imports and exports etc , but that's probably it

Enjoy

Jan 15, 2014 at 03:08 PM
SAng
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving master pix database with Lr 5

What I typically do: (1) move the files (outside of LR); (2) open LR, right-click on folder that got moved - there is a menu item to tell it where the new location is.

Edit: Above works especially well if everything is under one directory and you're moving it en masse to a new drive or under a different folder. If I am moving smaller sections of the catalog I have also used the method that Ian described. It works well, too.

Jan 15, 2014 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.