New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D-800e Virtual Horizon feature question

DreamInColor
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D-800e Virtual Horizon feature question

* Fair Warning: New Nikon user here *

When using this feature by going through the Menu > Setup Menu > Virtual Horizon, a "level graphic" appears on the LCD screen (similar to my Canon cameras). However, I'd like to use this feature in the field without having to go through the menus (and when not working in Live View). After reading the manual, I've assigned the Fn button to turn on the Virtual Horizon function. However, when pushing the Fn button, the graphic does not display (nothing does) on the LCD screen. Rather, there's a "level" (simpler graphic consisting of dots which move to the left/right depending on camera pitch) available through the viewfinder. I don't find this as useful as the LCD screen. Am I doing something wrong, or is this working as designed? Is there a workaround to enable to have the graphic display on the LCD screen with a button "shortcut?"

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:47 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D-800e Virtual Horizon feature question

You have to use it in live view then. Which I do all the time.

I use it both ways. It's amazing how off a composition can be, as far as being level, when just looking through a viewfinder.

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:55 PM
DreamInColor
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D-800e Virtual Horizon feature question

ckcarr wrote:
You have to use it in live view then. Which I do all the time.

I use it both ways. It's amazing how off a composition can be, as far as being level, when just looking through a viewfinder.

Thanks. And yes, I'm constantly amazed at how off-level things are when I believe they are actually level -- especially when working in the dark!

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:57 PM
OccAeon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D-800e Virtual Horizon feature question

ckcarr wrote:
It's amazing how off a composition can be, as far as being level, when just looking through a viewfinder.

I agree. I use it all the time, because I apparently just suck at holding the camera level. The dual levels (horizontal and vertical) are one reason that I've considered upgrading to the D800.

Jan 15, 2014 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.