FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

SebastianS
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

Hello-

I was hoping to get some input here... I have a Sigma 35mm 1.4 that I got last May. It must have gotten a bit jarred in my bag or something, but now the metal ring (the black ring with the white alignment dot, not the chrome lens mount) is loose. There is play radially from the black ring back towards the chrome mount ring, and also linear play from front to back. Both of these loose tolerances are about 1mm. It's most detectable when the lens is mounted to the body, but also very obvious when its not mounted.

I tried snugging up the four small cross-drive screws on the chrome barrel and that didn't do anything.

Any advice? I really don't want to send this into Sigma. There is a mark from back in June that I know Sigma will blame for this problem, and I assure you the problem happened very recently and not when the mark was made.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks
Seb

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM
deadhumpy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

I recently bought a used sigma 35 with the same problem. I sent it in and they repaired the lens for free. Lens handles like it's brand new, no problems.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM
kimralphio

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

I had the same problem with my Sigma 35mm 1.4 (Canon Mount) which was bought in June 2013. I did the following based on some instructions that I found on the web for the same problem on the Sigma 30mm 1.4:

There are four screws on the camera end of the lens that when removed allow the metal mount plate of the lens to pop off. Carefully lift the mount plate and tilt it back as it is still connected to the lens body by a flat cable (for the contacts). There under the gasket were three more screws that held the metal ring (with alignment dot) to the lens body - you'll need to lift several pieces of thin metal to expose the screw heads. I tightened them all up and reassembled the lens and this has fixed the play.

Hope that helps someone and avoids having to send the lens back to Sigma.

Apr 10, 2014 at 06:12 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

I have the same exact issue with a canon mount dg hsm a. It cropped up yesterday. I'll be sending it in. I don't want to tear apart a $900 lens

Jun 01, 2014 at 06:55 AM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

send it back I have had great luck with their support.

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:39 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

Wow. 4 straight. I'm gonna check on mine. Thanks for the heads up!

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

Just here to bump this. Found out this started happening a few weeks ago to my copy of the 35 Art.

Also having focusing issues with this lens where sometimes it's just plain soft - no true sharp point of focus. So I assume this could be related to that.

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:18 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

Sigma support is excellent. I had a turn-around of eight days with my 35A now perfect.....no claim of the familiar Nikon refrain of "impact damage".

Oct 06, 2014 at 10:29 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

ariel777 wrote:
Sigma support is excellent. I had a turn-around of eight days with my 35A now perfect.....no claim of the familiar Nikon refrain of "impact damage".

Yup... it takes impact to damage a Nikon lens while the Sigma just falls apart by itself

Oct 07, 2014 at 02:18 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

AMaji wrote:
Yup... it takes impact to damage a Nikon lens while the Sigma just falls apart by itself

So far my Sigma lenses have required less repair than my Nikon lenses

Oct 07, 2014 at 02:21 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

JHerr wrote:
So far my Sigma lenses have required less repair than my Nikon lenses

Good for you. I wish I could have said that too, but I can't. Enjoy while it lasts.

Oct 07, 2014 at 10:34 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

My Sigmas are repair free,including the 35 ART.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:55 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

AMaji wrote:
Good for you. I wish I could have said that too, but I can't. Enjoy while it lasts.

So far my 85 1.4 Sigma has lasted for 3 years without an issue which is longer than any of my Nikon lenses.

Oct 09, 2014 at 03:52 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

Like I said, I am glad for you.

Oct 09, 2014 at 08:21 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

"So far my 85 1.4 Sigma has lasted for 3 years without an issue which is longer than any of my Nikon lenses."

You must be pretty hard on lenses. I've owned 20 or more Nikkor's over 30 years and only recently replaced a motor on my 70-200vr after 9 years. And that had about 300,000 click on it. All brands fail from time to time, but my track record, and I'm sure most others is pretty solid with Nikkor. You don't see too many Sigma's being used by NASA

Oct 09, 2014 at 09:40 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

>You don't see too many Sigma's being used by NASA

That might change once they get the repair bills for IMPACT DAMAGE that their lens receive while sitting completely safe in a impact proof box.

EVERYTHING IS IMPACTED

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:35 AM
NazgulKing

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

JHerr wrote:
>You don't see too many Sigma's being used by NASA

That might change once they get the repair bills for IMPACT DAMAGE that their lens receive while sitting completely safe in a impact proof box.

EVERYTHING IS IMPACTED

Every bloody forum I go to, you always have someone who has an axe to grind, and goes around to every thread that turns out like this about his experiences etc.

Honestly, it's tiresome, and if you want a nice story, here's one: I know someone who had a Sigma DP1. Guess what? The entire lens assembly fell apart. He of course didn't bother getting it repaired.

Sigma's lens mechanics and QC has always been shaky, and even the much glorified Art series still has a pretty large variance in the MTF measurements, as evidenced by Lensrental's own testing. If you got a good copy, good for you, and if you didn't, then well, sucks to be you.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:47 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

NazgulKing wrote:
Every bloody forum I go to, you always have someone who has an axe to grind, and goes around to every thread that turns out like this about his experiences etc.

Honestly, it's tiresome, and if you want a nice story, here's one: I know someone who had a Sigma DP1. Guess what? The entire lens assembly fell apart. He of course didn't bother getting it repaired.

Sigma's lens mechanics and QC has always been shaky, and even the much glorified Art series still has a pretty large variance in the MTF measurements, as evidenced by Lensrental's own testing. If you got
...Show more

Nikon's QC has been shaky too in the last few years.

You see these stories on every bloody forum because Nikon has been getting worse and angering more and more of their customers - enough to fill every forum.

People wouldn't complain as much if Nikon started honoring their warranties again or stopped charging people for repairs that are due to faulty design / manufacturing.

Oct 12, 2014 at 01:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

AMaji wrote:

Comments like this are useless and counter productive.

I currently own/use 3 different Sigma lenses:

150/2.8 Macro OS. Outstanding macro product. Owned previous version on both C and N mounts over a period of 10 years.

17-70/2.8-4 C on my D7000 that is in constant use and I had it previous version too. My favorite DX lens.

My most recent acquisition, the 120-300/2.8 S. Heavy as it is it has done its duty well in some challenging environments.

Now, admittedly, sigma has had less then stellar moments. They are, it seems though, having a renaissance in design and production. They are supporting their product better too. If they produce a lens that interests me I won't hesitate.

My only statements to the op is it would be in your best interest to have sigma give it the once over. i assume you purchased it new and is currently under warranty. It would take a bit more of "a bit jarred or somthing" to affect it in a padded camera bag I think. is it a mark or a dent?

i have a friend who also owns the 17-70 and managed to take out the mounted filter under the lens cap and put a divot right next to front lens element while in the padded daypack. works normally too after a mild cleanup. how? not enough facts in evidence.

Edited on Oct 12, 2014 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2014 at 06:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 35mm 1.4 loose barrel

JHerr wrote:
Nikon's QC has been shaky too in the last few years.

You see these stories on every bloody forum because Nikon has been getting worse and angering more and more of their customers - enough to fill every forum.

People wouldn't complain as much if Nikon started honoring their warranties again or stopped charging people for repairs that are due to faulty design / manufacturing.

and then there is the end user who never does anything wrong.
the stories told with revisionist filtering. its always the gear.

and in this case i am not saying it is. not enough facts in evidence.

Oct 12, 2014 at 07:28 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.