Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

Dan's superb thread on confIrmation bias and his post on why he started with canon, prompts for a poll on why you started on canon / brand of your choosing. The intent of this thread is to capture why we choose a particular system. Careful R&D? Friend/Family recommendation?

To Kick it off, I picked canon in 2004 simply because it was on a package sale @ Local sams club and canon was running triple rebates on lenses when you buy a body.
( I had *very* incorrectly assumed that 300D kit plus splurging for a 70-200 f4 & 17-40 would have me set for life)

How about you?

Edited on Jan 15, 2014 at 06:37 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

I started with original Rebel Film 22 years ago. Updated to a2E. then when first digital rebel came out, it was again the only affordable digital slr (at 1000 13 years ago, its amazing what you get for your money these days), and the rest is history.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

About the same- I was biased toward Canon for whatever reason, and getting a used T1i as a starter kit sealed the deal.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

From a digital stand point the only dslr in town at the time was the famous D30 which was Canon's first venture into what we all know now. Not certain that classifies as R&D but that was the path and for me it still is.
Well... there is this outlier that has found its way into my fairly large Canon collection, the Sony a7r. Hmm... and what will happen next?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

"None of the above" --

I was a die-hard Nikon user in the MF days.... Built like tanks, priced like fighter jets, and reliable like an abacus, nothing was better than the Nikon F series in 35mm. Then... in the mid 1980s, AF came on the scene.... at first, I ignored it as a passing fad designed to separate amateurs from their money... Nikon did the same.

Around 1990, the Canon EOS-1 came out and EVERYONE stopped laughing and took notice.... except Nikon. I waited around for about a year to see what Nikon would come out with. The F4 was an unqualified POS which confirmed what everyone was saying: Nikon's head was buried firmly in the sand (or somewhere in their anatomy) and would be for a decade yet to come.

In 1992, I quickly sold my pair of F3s, most glass, switched to Canon and never looked back. My first Canon was an EOS 630 followed by an A2E. When the EOS 1N came out, I was able to afford a used EOS-1. Couple of years later, I traded the 630 and A2E for an EOS-3. I used the 1 and the 3 until 2006 when I went digital 100%.

I still have a Nikon F2 and a few lenses that noone was interested in buying back in 1992. Every now and then I air them out....... At a recent street art festival, I was shooting with the F2 and some youngsters wondered when Nikon came out with new retro dSLR.... I could not laugh hard enough..... little did I know that a few months later, Nikon would come out with the DF......

Edited on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

My brother had a 10D, which I liked quite a bit. My dad shot on an AE-1 for years. So, maybe a mixture of family history and my own preferences.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

None of the above for me.

I had a bad experience with Nikon service and my 8008 in 1990 and switched to an EOS 10S. I was shocked at how much better Canon cross point AF and USM lenses were--Nikon wasn't using cross AF points yet and used a screwdriver thingie to drive AF--and actually got along with the Canon control interface and metering better. I loved the old Nikon manual gear and only recently sold off my last FM3A, FE2 and half dozen MF primes. If I was richer I probably wouldn't "pick" a DSLR system. I like them all and would love to shoot with a Pentax K3, Oly E-M1, D800, DF, M9, etc.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

My wife and I did an Africa trip and my fully manual Pentax Spotmatic just couldn't compete with the Canon, Nikon and Minolta film systems of the day. A lady on the trip had an Elan IIE and a 100-400 among other lenses. She also took the best images of the trip. I soon had my own Elan and some starter lenses. Didn't get the 100-400 until my 10D days but I wanted that lens from the start and it was Canon. So initially others recommendations but supplemented by my research. I've stuck with Canon because I've been generally happy with their products and service.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

I shot Canon SLRs beginning in 1977. Test reports that I read at the time made the A1 seem like the choice for me compared to Nikon, Minolta, and Pentax models of similar cost. I tried it and it felt right, felt comfortable. When AF began to mature and I wanted to go that route, it seemed to me that the EOS system was the best performer, with motors in each lens. In spite of the new lens mount meaning that my FD equipment gave me no advantage in sticking with the brand (compared to starting afresh with Nikon), I settled on Canon EOS. When the D30 came out, I decided it was time to transition gradually to digital. Being able to use my lenses across film and digital bodies was handy for the short time that I kept using 35mm film (I was using mostly medium format film for weddings, etc.).

IOW, it was basically a series of happenstance situations that led me to being thoroughly invested in the Canon system. If I had started from scratch at some different time, I might easily have chosen a different system, but I don't think that matters. I try to gain some mastery of my gear, and get the best use out of it that I can. Current Canon gear is pretty amazing (and so is Nikon, and so are Zeiss lenses, I'm quite sure - I just don't happen to use them yet because of my personal history).

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

As it turns out in 1996 when I went to buy a Nikon F90, the shop didn't have any and convinced me to buy a Canon EOS 5 instead. I was dubious at first but he insisted Canon was a good brand (I basically knew nothing about photography). Turned out to be a great camera and glad I went Canon rather than Nikon.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

I did extensive research before buying my first DSLR and went to the store prepared to buy a Canon. After handling several cameras I discovered that I had trouble seeing through the Canon viewfinder with my glasses. Nikon viewfinders have a slightly different layout and I could see the whole viewfinder better (I'm not talking about adjusting the diopter).

I had to redo all of my research and bought a Nikon.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:45 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

Where is . . . "significant other shot canon and I shot Nikon and decided to switch to share on glass before getting to vested one way or another, just to end things and end up with a woman who prefers Nikon but chose canon because it ended up better in the end" option . . .

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

The 300D was a revolution in price and performance...sold. And Canon stayed on top for a good long time, too. Even when I divested most of my Canon gear and tried all NEX last year, I came back and bought into Canon again, the 6D and 24-105 combo is still a great deal, and all my copies of the 24-105 have been real sharp. Canon lens lineup is amazing, the only area I feel they lack is an answer to the Nikon 14-24.

Back in the film days, I had both a Nikon SLR and a Canon SLR, slight preference was to the Nikon...until I slipped on ice and killed that body. My Elan IIe (eye control) never worked well with my glasses, but others loved that feature, surprised it has not shown up in another body.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:51 PM
bradf35
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

I work as a medical technologist in a medical lab. Photography seems to be a common hobby among MT's. I took an interest, and everyone in my lab had Nikon's and jokingly talked about Canon being crap. I bought an XSi just to be different.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

my friend had Canon with all those white lenses... I couldn't borrow if I went dark side... so I went with Canon

/r
Andy

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:27 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

My first digital camera was a Canon G2 (daughter still uses it, great camera) and when I went to get a DSLR, I just went with Canon cuz it was the same brand and the batteries and CF cards were interchangeable.
Glad I went where I did, buddy uses Nikon and I like the feel and ergonomics better of the Canon.

No matter what brand you own.......Take it out and shoot something with it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

This poll is slanted toward how people select cameras now, but I went with Canon in 1987; in the first month or so that the EOS system was available. I walked into a big camera store here in the San Francisco Bay Area and looked at what was available. I noticed and liked the newly introduced Canon EOS system and just purchased an entire kit on the spot ... no research or analysis required in those days. You relied on your own assessment of products. Prior to that I had been shooting Nikon. I can still remember the store and the purchase; it was a totally great experience. Definitely a good decision and really enjoyed the camera and lenses that I purchased that day.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

No vote here, there was research beginning in 2004, a chance meeting on a lacrosse field; well the sidelines. A Canon 20D with a big lens, friendly photographer shooting for the other side. T90 and 300 my kit, we chatted, he let me hold his rig and the ergonomics of that body felt amazing, I wanted one.

But work got in the way, eventually eased off and a chance meeting in a Sammy's camera in 2007 convinced me to seriously think going digital. A nice gentleman, his Harley parked outside, needed the sensor cleaned on his 20D. I glanced a 40D in his bag, asked how he liked it, he attached a 70-200 f4L IS to it and handed it to me, said give it go.

Even in the not well lit store, the balance, AF speed, everything was perfect. After some time with an EOS3, enjoying AF lenses, visits to a few websites, all the good reviews, a few chats with KR, selling some film gear; EOS and old FD, I went Digital.

A roll back to Cal's Camera; in Newport Beach, where my 1st Canon was purchase; 1978, an A1 with a few primes, the same salesman/mentor, got the sale. That new camera/lens aroma was fantastic. The magic felt when buying my 1st A1 kit was back, a 40D with grip, 70-200L, my 1st digital body, 1st L lens, wow.

It wasn't until 2012 that a used 50D joined the fray, recently a 7D and 1DMk2N; I missed that pro body feel, having sold a 1V and gear to fund the 40D kit. I've no desire to switch teams, 1978 was many moons ago, Canon hasn't disappointed at all.

You say Canon, I just we have a lot of very good history

Edited on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:54 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

Purchased a Canonflex R-2000 in 1964 /65. An F1 in the mid 70's and other than a 2 year affair with Nikon I have stayed the course. Jim

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Scotts007
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why did you pick your DSLR "system"?

I started with my dads old EOS 650, and when the shutter decided to not work properly anymore, I bought a friend's D30, because I could use my dads lenses on it. That was in 2003, and is when my photography hobby truly began. Bought a couple better lenses and then bought a 1Dmk2 in 2005, when I felt like the D30 was holding me back, and to this day still haven't unlocked the full potential of the mk2. The decisions you make when your young and dumb with money burning a hole in your pocket.

I have no reason to be unhappy with canon, nor do I have the desire to sell gear, only to buy the equivalent thing from a competitor. So I'm stuck with canon (or canon is stuck with me). Its one of the two. Lol.

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.