Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

ChrisATX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Hey gals and guys,

So I have photography that falls fairly categorically, I'd like to make a site with galleries (orchid photography, bw people photography, etc.).

However, calling me a luddite would be generous. Right now I just use an awful awful blogspot site where everything is an uncategorized mess.

Any tips or tutorials?

Jan 14, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Use a wordpress site. Get some hosting, add wordpress, grab a photography template (google search) and start posting and making your site. Takes some work to figure out how to use wordpress, but it is a large community and lots of help available.

Jan 14, 2014 at 07:52 PM
ChrisATX

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Thanks Hardcore! That's really what I needed, I good jumping off point.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Give SquareSpace a try. I've personally never used it but the plans are affordable and have a lot of interesting photographer templates to choose from and you can usually find coupon codes floating around online.

You can also try Zenfolio, but I personally find their templates to be a bit old fashioned. They do however offer the bells and whistles that some people are looking for, such as ecommerce, client proofing and analytics.

I currently use Bluehost and a decent wordpress theme. I love to customize, so I've spent countless hours on my site, but I've learned a lot in the process. You can find a lot of free themes, but the so-called 'premium' themes (one of which I use) will usually run $35-50 apiece. There are so many theme options, it can be overwhelming at first.

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Get light room

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Michael White wrote:
Get light room

And then?

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:54 AM
pompeio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Purchase a copy of RC Concepcion's book How To Get Your Photography On The Web. I have only basic computer skills but was able to follow his steb by step instructions and set up my own website (www.thecardoorphotographer.com). There are much more elaborate sites then mine but this works for me although I really need to get more recent images uploaded. RC's book was easy to follow and I went from nothing to being up and running in a weekend. Good luck!

Jan 30, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

I took a quick look at WordPress and decided the flexibility was great but the learning curve would be more than I wanted. I just went to Zenfolio (half the price of Smugmug) and had no problem picking a template and setting up folders.

If you take a look at my site, realize you are looking at a couple of hours of work to set it up and then 6 months of neglect. I really need to go back and work on this again. Keep that in mind when you set up your site. Trying to find the time and motivation to maintain a site can be difficult. Make sure the site is really easy to work with otherwise you need to re-learn the procedures again a few months later.

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Hi ChrisATX...

I tend to agree with Hardcore's advice regarding WordPress. A good photography template would be something like Photocrati which is easy to configure and allows you all the flexibility you seem to be looking for and more. Visit their site at: http://www.photocrati.com/. I built my site with the WordPress/Photocrati combination and it works very well for my needs (which seem similar to yours).

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with either WordPress or Photocrati.

Hope that helps.
Tom

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

I second Tom in Arizonas' advice. I have hosting from dream host, and am going the photocrati route. I have a wordpress "free" theme right now

Feb 02, 2014 at 01:21 AM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

If you want a site that is really easy to manage and has full e-commerce capabilities including automated stock sales try Photodeck.com. Coupon code YG@ULYCTN will get you half off the first month.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tutorial or template to create website with multiple galleries?

Are there any companies that do web hosting as well as the rest of it? I can't grasp how it all works, but I need to get something going, too...

Feb 18, 2014 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.