New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

bayvillian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

hey all,
I'm thinking it would be best to just have my editing computer disconnected from the internet. I find when I am editing all my photos from an event it's so easy for me to open up that internet tab and start looking on forums,fb, checking mail...any of you have these problems? What do you do?

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:16 PM
leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

I have the internet connected in case emails come through that are important - but it's on a laptop, just out of reach from my work position to help me concentrate.

That, and very loud music for me to get lost in when I'm designing and retouching, (helps that my house is detached I guess...)

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:32 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

If I've got to sort through and process a dump truck full of images, it's pomodoro or bust. The time constraint makes my picks much faster and better, keeps my post out of mouse-milking territory, and keeps me from burning out and ending up looking at lolcats on Facebook.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

you may want to consider breaking up your work into smaller chunks. try to spend 45 minutes editing photos, then take a 15 minute break. Or plan to edit X number of photos before taking a break. that way, your breaks are taken at discrete, planned intervals and not just when you are feeling bored.

Jan 15, 2014 at 02:16 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

I find being "connected" is a huge time waster - I recently moved where I'm shooting, and found I was getting a lot more work done when I had the internet unplugged - I now only hook up in the studio when I'm expecting some Really Important email or figure its time to hook up the machines to let them check for updates. And even then I only check for emails on my tablet which is next to the cellphone - if I'm ignoring calls because I'm in the middle of something, why should that spam email get any better treatment...

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

The issue is probably that you don't enjoy doing post processing, so you look for other avenues to amuse yourself. Also, some photogs I know have a habit of delaying finishing a job. Some of it's due to potential rejection of their work from the client, and others get frustrated because their work isn't meeting their high standards.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

For long post processing sessions I like to either put on some new music or a movie on my second monitor just to keep me going. It can get fairly tedious going through 1500 photos from a series of shows. It is good to have something that can distract you from the monotony but not so much that you exit your editing sessions. That said, there is strong evidence that 45 minute work sessions with 10 minute breaks in between allow people to maintain a higher level of effectiveness in whatever activity they are doing.

Regardless, it's patently clear that you need to try something new. Best of luck! (And no, you don't have ADHD based on this alone).

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · do I have bad adhd? Workflow question

I do what some of the others do. I force myself to go through a certain number of photos then I take a break. I get crazy arm/neck/shoulder cramps and numbness from marathon sessions so the breaks help for that also.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.