New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · FF Fisheye

photomedic4321
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FF Fisheye

I am looking for a full frame fisheye. I don't do a whole lot of fisheye work but want a decent lens and really don't want to spend $1400 to get one. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Jan 14, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FF Fisheye

Sigma 15 is great. $600 new and $300-400 used.

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:01 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FF Fisheye

I was in the same boat a while ago and investigated several options on FF. Since I wasn't sure how often I will make use of a fisheye lens, I decided to go for a fairly cheap lens first - I bought the Peleng 8/3.5 MF lens. 8 mm on full frame gives you a circular field of view, in case of the Peleng it is a semi-circular window since a small part of the image circle is cut. It was never a big deal for me since you can make a round circle covering the image in post-processing. This lens was very useful for me in many years - I took some very creative shots with it, mostly from interiors. Main issue of the lens is its ability to create more severe flares at the border of the semi-circular field of view coming from lights or the sun.

I looked at the Sigma 8 mm fisheye lens, twice as expensive, but much better in regard to flaring. I was close getting this one when Canon announced the 8-15/4 L fisheye lens. I instantly found this a very interesting new lens since it allows to change between full circular field of view on FF to rectangular fisheye view at 15 mm. Problem was its price - I was not willing to spend the original sales price for it. I waited a while and looked for good deals of a used lens copy. Just one month ago I found a great deal and the lens came in mint condition. This is definitely the best fisheye lens which I had - full circular field of view at 8 mm and great performance at 15 mm, too. Incredible sharp also.

It sounds like you prefer a fisheye lens below $1000 - I can totally understand, as I said, I also started with a cheaper one. I recommend doing the same - first seeing how often you will make use of it before upgrading if it is seen as a good investment for you. You first need to make sure that you either want to go circular (8 mm) or if you prefer 14 or 15 mm FL fisheye (rectangular).

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FF Fisheye

The Zenitar Zenit 16/2.8 fisheye has 180 deg coverage across the 44mm FF image/sensor diagonal, resulting in a rectangular, "full frame" fish eye view (i.e. not cropped or circular). It costs about $200 new on eBay, and does a fine job. If it's not good enough for you, you can sell ot for about $150, and try something else.

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FF Fisheye

Canon EF 15/2.8 FE, used for around $550. Awesome lens.

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:32 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FF Fisheye

Gunzorro wrote:

this.

I knew when I got mine (used) that I could not justify the cost for as little as I expected to use it.
but even after a few years I and very few clicks on it, I'll not sell it.

a bit of tape on the inside edge of the cap will keep it in place in case it's not a snug fit.

edit: btw, if you're temped by the peleng 8mm/3.5 make sure you can return it if you're not happy with it.

Edited on Jan 14, 2014 at 06:21 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2014 at 06:09 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FF Fisheye

Your best bet (imo) for under $1000 is the Tokina 10-17. Despite being marketed as a crop lens, it will mount and operate propertly on full frame, though it will vignette from 10 to about 13mm. The Canon 8-15 IS better and the Canon 15 is also very good, but the Tokina is very flexible, cheaper, and a nice lens. It benefits from stopping down a stop.

Jan 14, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FF Fisheye

Sigma 15mm I had was excellent. Super sharp very nice excellent lens and not expensive

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:07 PM
TDobb

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FF Fisheye

Just picked up the Canon 15 2.8 Fish and love it. Used it this weekend for a fishing tourney on the ice. A couple samples shot on Canon 6D.

Got it for 525. I couldn't justify 1500 for the 8-15 f4L fish. I think I will end up using it quite a bit.

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:19 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FF Fisheye

I like my 7-15mmf4LFisheye it a great fisheye for both ff and sub frame bodies plus a great 15mm in ff it gives a couple of more degrees on a crop body from what I've seen and read

Jan 15, 2014 at 09:13 AM
photonanax3
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FF Fisheye

Glad this thread came along, I just went FF and my hubby was just telling me I needed a fisheye.

Todd - love your images and perspective, gives me a better visual of what that lens does. I just might have to add that lens to my want list.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FF Fisheye

Here's one from my Sigma 15 from this past week. I've got no complaints with operation or IQ with this lens!

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FF Fisheye

Here's two from my Zenitar 16/2.8, taken today just after finishing a series of tests of lenses at 17/18mm, 24mm, and 35mm.

The first is an HDR image made by combining three exposures (+2, 0, and -1 EV), followed by two 100% crops of that HDR image. Not bad for a $200 lens, eh? Well, $220, counting the generic K to Eos adapter.

The last image is a self portrait, with one of the primary test targets (a grain elevator) reflected in the rear window.

Go Pats!

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye at f/8, 3-image HDR

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye at f/8, 3-image HDR, 100% crop

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye at f/8, 3-image HDR, 100% crop

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye at f/2.8, single image, go Pats!

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FF Fisheye

The Tokina 10-17mm is the most flexible option. Make sure to get the no hood version for use on full frame.

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FF Fisheye

Gunzorro wrote:

+1
Mine was just over $400 brand new, so I guess for once my timing was good! I've had it a few years and like it a lot. It doesn't get the constant use of a workhorse lens, but enough to be worthwhile, and in moderation it can add a little "juice" to an outing. Here are a few shots.

Obviously on 1.3 crop. I almost always use the fisheye on FF.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FF Fisheye

the used sigma 15mm is pretty tough to beat for the money.

the canon is nice as well.

if you have the cash to blow, go for the 8-15mm.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FF Fisheye

Photon wrote:
+1
Mine was just over $400 brand new, so I guess for once my timing was good! I've had it a few years and like it a lot. It doesn't get the constant use of a workhorse lens, but enough to be worthwhile...

+2

Yes, your timing was excellent, in fact! The best I could find a few weeks ago was an "Excellent" (9-ish, really) copy for $650 on Adorama. A copy on eBay for about the same price was rated "ugly" - somebody had shaved off () the hood petals and there were marks on the glass. Same price for better copies on KEH.

All of this was around this past Christmas.

Still better than the FE L zoom (selling for around 1200+ tax after rebates here in Canada); better even than the Sigma 15mm new ($800 plus tax was the cheapest Canadian price I could find, $200 more than buying from the US, but I didn't want to deal with international returns if there was a problem). If buying from the States, the Sigma is very attractive!

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FF Fisheye

double post

Edited on Jan 16, 2014 at 04:40 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FF Fisheye

+1 for the siggy 15mm fish. I bought one a couple years back when I needed a 15 fish in a hurry. I posted a WTB on the B&S forum and a siggy came up first. I was REALLY skeptical based on my prior 120-300 nightmare. However, I could not have been more delighted with the sigma 15mm. I was going to sell it after my assignment but because it works so well I still have it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FF Fisheye

HAd my Canon 15mm Fish for ten years now, great lens to have in the bag for the odd occasion when you need to use the exaggerated perspective.

Jan 16, 2014 at 08:41 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.