Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

I am curious about it and was wondering if any other FMer's have experience with it and wouldnt mind sharing.....

thanks, Herb

http://www.gigapan.com/cms/shop/epic-pro

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM
myy001
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

What do you want to know?
epic pro is the only model that one can mount a SLR with a lens based on the design. It is easy to 'program' and can do the job. It may require some practice at the beginning but still very easy to learn.

Their image merge software is ok (ok only in my opinion.)

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:09 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

There are other options out there. Would you purchase again? Is it built well or more like a toy? Is it as easy to run as the video would make one believe?

Have you made any real large posters (8ft x 24ft)? What size have you made? Were they for you or sale? Any other comments?
myy001 wrote:
What do you want to know?
epic pro is the only model that one can mount a SLR with a lens based on the design. It is easy to 'program' and can do the job. It may require some practice at the beginning but still very easy to learn.

Their image merge software is ok (ok only in my opinion.)

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:00 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

I have one on the way and had a loaned one for a few months.

Getting it for night images as it makes things much easier.

I probably won't be shooting multi gigapixel stitches. Daytime I don't mind using my manual pano gear and I typically use filters.

The epic pro isn't fast to use and is bulky too. But looking around it seemed the best option for me

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

I shoot handheld panos, but for critical work I use an RRS Omnipivot rig.

I stitch with Hugin. It is free and seems to be as good as AutoPanoPro.

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:59 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

The Gigapan is a great tool. I have worked with it a few times. The EPIC pro definitely is no toy. Construction, controls and software are wonderful. It's a great instrument to create pano's or ultra high res pictures. It will take some time to learn how the stitching works best for you, and you'll have to count on many hours of processing on desktop computer, so if that was not your idea: then no it's not as advertised. They don't show you that processing time needed in the promotion videos. On the other hand, there is no product that makes the shooting and stitching as easy as the Gigapan, being fully automated. So yes, that works likes advertised. I think the Gigapan is an underestimated tool for many landscape photographers and creative artist willing to make pano's or ultra high res photos. For me it was just not worth it to own, since I just don't have enough work for it, so I just borrowed it from the camerastore a few times. But for someone who is heavily into landscaping, panos or gigapixels stuff it seems to me a good investment, often a better / more cost effective spending than a lot of lenses.

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone have experience with the gigpan epic pro?

eosfun wrote:
The Gigapan is a great tool. I have worked with it a few times. The EPIC pro definitely is no toy. Construction, controls and software are wonderful. It's a great instrument to create pano's or ultra high res pictures. It will take some time to learn how the stitching works best for you, and you'll have to count on many hours of processing on desktop computer, so if that was not your idea: then no it's not as advertised. They don't show you that processing time needed in the promotion videos. On the other hand, there is no product that
...Show more

thank you for the reply......I have shot cars and then made them from a single RAW file into 4 ft by 7ft banners, At 4 feet away they are fantastic, but as I look closer of course you can begin to see it not so good. I thought with a gigapan type of shot that I could spin together some really hi resolution banners of cars that would knock people right out. I usually have a file size of about 100MB, but obviously if I had a larger file printed with even more detail I could begin to push the detail that the printer can achieve as opposed to what I can give him.

I had never thought of taking multiple shots and stitching them together myself, I suppose I could do that too......but I thought that this might have some other really good uses. The problem would be how do I upload files that large, I guess it would come down to sending BluRay discs to printers and having them print off the disc......this will take some time to sort out.

by the way, if I had to buy another computer to just drive the stitching together, a dedicated computer that wouldnt be a problem. This isnt my job, it is my hobby and approaching what things cost as opposed to justifying the use in a business is different.....hobbies can be black holes to toss hundred dollar bills into..,....between [photography and cars both suck large quantities of money.....but it does put a smile on my face!

Thanks for your comments! Anyone else?

Jan 15, 2014 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.