Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · I can't Identify This Lens!

mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I can't Identify This Lens!

VinnieJ wrote:
It can fit if you're careful mounting it. Trust me if you break it Nikon won't repair it under warranty so obviously not recommended but I have no issues putting my non-Ai lenses on my D7100.

No, it can't. not without potential damage to the AI metering tab, which overlaps the rear ridge on the aperture ring on this lens.

This lens is usable without conversion on the Df with metering or on the D40/X/60/3x00 series bodies and possibly the D5x00 series bodies as they lack an AI tab and have the push-in style minimum aperture indexing switch, the slide version used on the D50/70/80 will break, as will AI tabs if abused in that manner.

Some non-AI lenses do not have the mount-overlapping aperture ring ridge that the 50/1.4 S.C has and can be mounted but it's something of a crapshoot.

Edited on Jan 15, 2014 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I can't Identify This Lens!

I'm sorry, but you sound like the worst kind of seller -- uninformed, and determined not to learn anything that might interfere with your sale. That lens WILL screw up that guy's D200 if he knows as little as you. But you won't care, because you got your 50 bucks or whatever. Ha.

If you choose to stick around here, you'll find that most members try to aim a little higher.

Jan 15, 2014 at 07:38 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I can't Identify This Lens!

Itīs a nice lens. I bought one in better shape and with factor Ai conversion for $80 about 3 months ago.

Performance is good too but nothing extraordinary. I use mine as a body cap on a Nikon FM

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I can't Identify This Lens!

mawz wrote:
No, it can't. not without potential damage to the AI metering tab, which overlaps the rear ridge on the aperture ring on this lens.

This lens is usable without conversion on the Df with metering or on the D40/X/60/3x00 series bodies and possibly the D5x00 series bodies as they lack an AI tab and have the push-in style minimum aperture indexing switch, the slide version used on the D50/70/80 will break, as will AI tabs if abused in that manner.

Some AI lens do not have the mount-overlapping aperture ring ridge that the 50/1.4 S.C has and can be mounted
...Show more

I like to keep an open mind in discussions like this in case I'm just missing something. Are you saying there is no possible way without damage to the AI metering tab? I question you're meaning of "no, it can't" because you followed it up with "potential damage". Are all non-ai lenses exactly the same and there is no way to mount it?

This is the non-ai lens I have mounted on the DF with the metering tab flipped up.

Nikon Df and 35mm f/2.8 Non-Ai by [email protected], on Flickr

It has not been modified because it does not have that aperture ring ridge and to easily mount it on the DF the metering tab has to be flipped up.

I have mounted this lens on my D7100 by sliding the metering tab up and turning the aperture ring all the way to the right. When doing this the AI coupler mounts next to the metering tab without over lapping. Similar to what the aperture ridge does so no damage to the tab itself.

If proof is really needed I can take a pic of it on my D7100 but what am I missing?

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I can't Identify This Lens!

VinnieJ

I think that is one of the things they fixed on the Df

The D5300 and D3300 are able to mount pre AIS lenses without metering and the DF uses them as desired (except the split aperature control issue). Also, if I remember, some of the early consumer bodies like the D40 that only use AFS lenses can also mount pre-AIS lenses.

To my knowledge pre AIS lens do not mound on other DSLR bodies ... I may be wrong, I have little to no exprience with such lenses. It has somethign to do with the AI tab.

Cheers,
Andre

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I can't Identify This Lens!

mawz wrote:

Some AI lens do not have the mount-overlapping aperture ring ridge that the 50/1.4 S.C has and can be mounted
...Show more

Oh well, this seems to answer the question.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I can't Identify This Lens!

Andre Labonte wrote:
VinnieJ

I think that is one of the things they fixed on the Df

The D5300 and D3300 are able to mount pre AIS lenses without metering and the DF uses them as desired (except the split aperature control issue).

To my knowledge pre AIS lens do not mound on other DSLR bodies ... I may be wrong, I have little to no exprience with such lenses.

Cheers,
Andre

Yes, on my Df I can easily flip up the tab. On my D70s there is no issue because there is no tab. With my D7100 I have to do the process I explained above. Maybe I just haven't played with enough non-ai lenses but the one I have mounts on my D7100.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I can't Identify This Lens!

VinnieJ wrote:
Yes, on my Df I can easily flip up the tab. On my D70s there is no issue because there is no tab. With my D7100 I have to do the process I explained above. Maybe I just haven't played with enough non-ai lenses but the one I have mounts on my D7100.

Interesting ... I stand corrected.

To me it seems there's just so much "work" and "poetential risk" involved with pre AIS lenses and so many post AIS options it's not worth the effort ... for me that is ...

But based on what you say, why was the OP having issues mounting the lens?

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I can't Identify This Lens!

Andre Labonte wrote:

Interesting ... I stand corrected.

To me it seems there's just so much "work" and "poetential risk" involved with pre AIS lenses and so many post AIS options it's not worth the effort ... for me that is ...

But based on what you say, why was the OP having issues mounting the lens?

While it does work (at least for me) I don't actually use it on my D7100. Nor would I recommend it as I stated in my initial post. Exif data shows the wrong info and metering doesn't work. On my Df I can actually tell my camera what non-ai lens I have mounted (only ai option with the D7100) and set the aperture in camera the same as it is set on the lens by using the front command dial. Works great!

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I can't Identify This Lens!

It varies a bit between lenses, since some have a tighter fit than others -- but the bottom line is that any Nikon DSLR with an aperture indexing tab (anything above the baby series, except the Df, which has a flip-up tab like the '70s era F3 and FM/FE) can be easily damaged by mounting a non-AI lens. *If* you've got a reasonably forgiving lens, and *if* the person using it knows what the possible point of interference is, it can work.

The caveats are really important, which is why multiple people in this thread have been reluctant to recommend the practice for those who don't understand the mechanism. What's worse is for someone to gloss over this fact when they should know better just to sell a lens quickly to another novice, which is what it sure looks like the OP has said he intends to do.

Jan 15, 2014 at 07:38 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I can't Identify This Lens!

VinnieJ wrote:
It has not been modified because it does not have that aperture ring ridge and to easily mount it on the DF the metering tab has to be flipped up.

I have mounted this lens on my D7100 by sliding the metering tab up and turning the aperture ring all the way to the right. When doing this the AI coupler mounts next to the metering tab without over lapping. Similar to what the aperture ridge does so no damage to the tab itself.

If proof is really needed I can take a pic of it on my D7100 but what am
...Show more

I'd love to see a picture of the lens mounted on a D7100 with a clear view of the AI tab. I suspect your lens has been modified to allow mounting on an AI body. As the aperture ring on a non-AI lens is the same length all the way around the only way to mount an unmodified lens with an standard non-AI aperture ring is to pry the AI tab slightly outwards, placing pressure on it and potentially damaging it. If there is some gap in the ring which allows mounting in a particular configuration of aperture ring & AI tab then the lens has been modified. An unmodified lens would either mount with the aperture in any setting (if one of the few with enough clearance for an AI tab) or would require the AI tab to be pushed outwards from the lens barrel.

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I can't Identify This Lens!

mawz wrote:
I'd love to see a picture of the lens mounted on a D7100 with a clear view of the AI tab. I suspect your lens has been modified to allow mounting on an AI body. As the aperture ring on a non-AI lens is the same length all the way around the only way to mount an unmodified lens with an standard non-AI aperture ring is to pry the AI tab slightly outwards, placing pressure on it and potentially damaging it. If there is some gap in the ring which allows mounting in a particular configuration of aperture ring &
...Show more

Yea, that does not sound good ... I'll keep avoiding pre AIS lenses ... or if I get a burning need to use one, I guess I'll be buying a Df too.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:36 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I can't Identify This Lens!

mawz wrote:
I'd love to see a picture of the lens mounted on a D7100 with a clear view of the AI tab. I suspect your lens has been modified to allow mounting on an AI body. As the aperture ring on a non-AI lens is the same length all the way around the only way to mount an unmodified lens with an standard non-AI aperture ring is to pry the AI tab slightly outwards, placing pressure on it and potentially damaging it. If there is some gap in the ring which allows mounting in a particular configuration of aperture ring &
...Show more

Well now that this thread is completely hi-jacked I hope the OP got the info he wanted. In the meantime, pics! Click through for bigger pixel peeping versions and let me know if you think it has been modified. As long as the AI coupler is turned all the way to the right it fits. If it's turned left then I would have to bend the AI metering tab which I would never do.

First mounted on the body:

Nikon 35/2.8 non-AI mounted on a D7100 by [email protected], on Flickr

Pic of my AI lens on the left and non-AI lens on the right.

Nikon 50/1.8 AI - Nikon 35/2.8 non-AI by [email protected], on Flickr

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:45 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I can't Identify This Lens!

The "flippable AI tab" was what Nikon film cameras had during the period when Nikon was transitioning from non-AI to AI lenses. My FM has it. After the transition, they generally included it on their higher end bodies.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I can't Identify This Lens!

Ah, OK, so you're just positioning the ring to clear the rabbit ears (that's why they are mounted in the reverse fashion on AI, AI-S and AI-converted lenses). That makes sense. Your lens is not modified.

That mounting method still puts outward stress on the AI tab (you can in fact see it on the close-up, where the tab is being pushed out at its bottom), but it looks like there's just barely enough clearance for your 35/2.8 to not actually damage it. Note this is very definitely a crapshoot and will depend on the tolerances of your particular lens/camera combination to work (and even then may actually damage the AI tab).

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.