Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D-III College Basketball

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D-III College Basketball

OK….so I've been struggling a little with my basketball shots. As it was referred to me as "chasing settings" is exactly what I was doing which can be just as frustrating to a photographer as a hitting slump to a ball player.

So I reached out to fellow FM'er Russ Isabella whose basketball shots are exemplary and Dr. Russ was gracious to offer some help with some settings he uses for basketball. Although not every venue is identical…the intent was to use the info as a STRONG reference point. And fortunately enough it was just what the doctor ordered to help with my keeper rate and "psychological disorder"

I still have to work on a few things and do a little more trial and error and maybe another PM to the Doctor but I think I've made some strides I can be happy with.

Here are some shots from a recent game I did and I tried out actually three things. (1) - was the settings Russ recommended….(2) - was the new Firmware update for the 1DX….and (3) - I shot the entire game with the 300 2.8. With the exception of the coach shot which was with the 17-40. The coach became the winningest coach in the history of the college basketball program.

So that was the story and here are a few from the game. C&C always welcome.

I forgot to add….Thank You Russ. I think you saved me from some unnecessary expenses for when I escalated this to throwing stuff.

Edited on Jan 13, 2014 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D-III College Basketball

Last five…

Thanks for looking.

Frank

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D-III College Basketball

very nice Frank, great block in #3...where were you in #4 to get him going up, w/ the 300?

Chris

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D-III College Basketball

These look good to me, Frank, and for me at least, the keeper rate is a bit lower with the 300 in the far court than the 70-200 near-court. Glad the settings are working for you. Now I have to bite the bullet and update my firmware!

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:25 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D-III College Basketball

These look great!

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D-III College Basketball

Chris…thanks. My location for that shot….if you look at #10…I was on approx. the 2nd or 3rd step of that stairwell.

Thanks Russ….I still have a few things to work on but I'm please overall. On the 300…I seriously brought other lenses but once I started…it was like..Hey I never did this before. Why not. For the firmware update….it was pretty effortless with no issues. There was also new brochures so you will want to download them too.

Thanks Again
Frank

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:34 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D-III College Basketball

Thank you for the note on the updated manual. I hadn't noticed that. I updated to the new firmware and shot two basketball games Saturday. I tweaked my settings to make AF faster as I find I move to new targets often and they often are soft. I wasn't 100% but I think there was improvement.

And I agree completely, Dr. Russ is helpful for questions and motivational with his images.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D-III College Basketball

Frank,
Nice set. I'm gonna have to maybe pull out the long glass for some different looks. Apparently I need to update my firmware as well. Although I am having very good performance with my AF tracking for the basketball I have been shooting. I am so impressed with the performance of the 1DX.

Billy-

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:45 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D-III College Basketball

Very nice shots, Frank. I'm gonna have to start bringing the 300 to Basketball now, although for near court at most HS gyms I would need to be in the next room.

Bill

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D-III College Basketball

These are solid images, Frank. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's comforting knowing that not only rookies like me struggle during low light basketball!

#3 is the money shot for me.

I'm curious as to "only shoot with the 300" ideology. Just trying to do something different?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D-III College Basketball

I tried my 300 2.8 at one game. I handheld because my usual position is next to the basket and I didn't like the bulk of the monopod. Too many players run or slide into that area. Not often, but once would be too much. I rotated between the 300 and 70-200 on my two body's. I did get some shots I've been missing. But the next game I went back to my 70-200 and 24-70. Sure enough a few minutes into the game a player ended up just about in my lap. The 300 was to big to set aside and would have been in that same spot the player landed. So I like the 300, but feel the shooting position needs to clearly be out of harms way for all concerned.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D-III College Basketball

Billy…Thanks for the comments. The update went smooth for me and still have to put it thru the tests yet. But if this game is indication….I like it.

Bill & Andy…..here is a decent shot showing the size of this gym. As you can see it's pretty roomy and that far end by the doors is where the cheerleaders hang out but even then…the space is generous. The actual distance from the end line to the doors and wall (other end) is about 20 feet.

Although I've use a 300 in some HS gyms…I'm pretty selective on the ones I use it at and for how long. Some of them only have about a 3 ft. space between the end line and wall.. So definitely never there.

Kris….not taken wrong but to clarify….it wasn't the low light that was an issue. It was just plain crappy shots for whatever reason. OOF.….inconsistency what I was doing and lack of decent shots that just had me adjusting settings and getting more frustrated.

Regarding the using the 300…I just kept it on the camera just to see the results afterwards and it was different because I never did it for an entire game. It did get tiring after a while because I used a m-pod the 1st half and then HH the 2nd. Next time I may only do it for the 1st half and then use the 400 for the 2nd….Just kidding….

Thanks Again Everyone
Frank

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:19 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D-III College Basketball

Well you got me at the 400. Let me stuff my eyeballs back in and move on.

Jan 14, 2014 at 05:59 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D-III College Basketball

Hey brother Frank,

I really like the fact that you tried something different. A call to the good doctor (Russ Isabella) has worked for me in the past. What I find really funny is that just last Friday, I locked the 300 f/2.8 on one body and shot a JV and a varsity game with it. I also had a 70-200 on my main body. I LOVE the variety it provided -- and plan to do it in every gym where it is possible. I will post some of the photos this afternoon to share.

Glad you are keeping busy. We need to catch up on the phone. It's been tooooo long.

Rick

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:40 AM
Cgb628

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D-III College Basketball

Speaking of settings, what were the AF settings you were using with the new firmware?

Jan 22, 2014 at 05:17 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D-III College Basketball

They seem slightly underexposed. Well, at least after #4. #3 looks like the best out of the group. Keep shooting!

Out of curiosity, did you use some kind of noise reducer?

Jan 22, 2014 at 05:41 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D-III College Basketball

Andy…that's funny

Rick….10-4 on the catch up. I got a few calls to make. I'll fill you in when we connect.

Cgb628- I used 15 AF points and single focus point with four surrounding points activated.

Michael - thanks. Yes I used the Preset setting "Weaker Noise" with Noiseware.

Thank Again
Frank

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.