Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Little Finland

lighthawk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little Finland

Our first visit to Gold Butte area.
We spent two nights and days, camping with mild temperatures.
The day we visited Little Finland was a light overcast.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little Finland

Those are some wild looking rocks. The last works the best for me, composition-wise. Not sure I've seen much from this area, so thanks for the introduction.

Dave

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:45 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little Finland

Very interesting rock formations…thanks for sharing

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:56 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little Finland

Not many people make it to Little Finland, but it's on my itinerary for this year. Nice shots.

Jan 13, 2014 at 02:48 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little Finland

stanparker wrote:
Not many people make it to Little Finland, but it's on my itinerary for this year. Nice shots.

Have a great time, Stan. There's some petroglyphs there also. The formations I shot were on top of the terrace with palms growing at the base.

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:43 PM
Mjollnir
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little Finland

If I can ask, how did you find the road conditions, and what did you travel there in?

It's next on my list of locations.

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:09 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little Finland

Mjollnir

The New Gold Butte road is passable by car. It's roughly paved for approx 25 miles.
After that it gets bumpy, when you turn off for L Finland, but I would drive it in a Subaru wagon.
All of that may change if the conditions get wet or snowy.

I carry my camera gear (and us and the dog) in this rig

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:57 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little Finland

lighthawk wrote:
Have a great time, Stan. There's some petroglyphs there also. The formations I shot were on top of the terrace with palms growing at the base.

Thanks. I finally bought a jeep and will now be able to reach lots of rock art and ruins that were previously out of my reach. It's not what kept me from Little Finland, however, I just never made the effort.

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:28 PM
Mjollnir
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little Finland

lighthawk wrote:
Mjollnir

The New Gold Butte road is passable by car. It's roughly paved for approx 25 miles.
After that it gets bumpy, when you turn off for L Finland, but I would drive it in a Subaru wagon.

http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Travel/Southern-Nevada-and-Death-Vall/i-BjdCV3H/0/L/_MG_2282-L.jpg

Thank you, sir.

We get around in a 4wd Jeep, so I don't see this as much of a problem. I've heard about soft sands being a problem in the last few miles, so I thought I'd ask.

Oh, one last thing: is the that hard to find, as I've also heard, when one gets really close to it?

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Little Finland

Very nice location, thanks for posting these

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:10 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Little Finland

You are welcome, Nori

Mojjnir, we did not have much trouble. The parking is a flat sandy area, but the terrace above, where the formations are located, is easy to see.

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Little Finland

Mjollnir wrote:
[ I've heard about soft sands being a problem in the last few miles, so I thought I'd ask.

Oh, one last thing: is the that hard to find, as I've also heard, when one gets really close to it?

A 4 wheel drive car with a low gear range is highly recommended. The last several miles are driving in a wash, with very soft sand and rocks. As you get get to within the last 1/2 mi there is a sizable rock step, perhaps 10-12 inches high, to creep over, so ground clearance can also be an issue. If it rains, these washes you drive in may become very treacherous, so watch the weather before setting out from Mesquite. Also the flats right in front of the Little Finland cliff can become very muddy and I could easily see someone getting stuck.

The first time you go there, a GPS and good way point directions are recommended. See L Martres, photographing the Southwest V2.
Mike K

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Aleksi M
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Little Finland

People always get me with these Finland posts. Btw. greetings from Finland

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:30 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Little Finland

Aleksi M wrote:
People always get me with these Finland posts. Btw. greetings from Finland

Greetings, Aleski!
I think about the name, Little Finland, and wonder if it isn't more about all the rock fins?

The road conditions are variable, and Mike K is correct that there is a small rock step in the last half mile approach. The sand was not significant and I never needed to shift into 4WD. A number of standard SUV cars made it while we visited. Even though my Toyota truck has 12" clearance, I feel someone with the 8" clearance and traction of an AWD Subaru could make it if they were a careful driver. I would not recommend a passenger vehicle with only 2WD. YMMV

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:19 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Little Finland

lighthawk wrote:
Mjollnir

http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Travel/Southern-Nevada-and-Death-Vall/i-BjdCV3H/0/L/_MG_2282-L.jpg

good gear for back country traveling

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:55 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.