New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Firmware update for 1DX

docnlaw24
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Firmware update for 1DX

Completed my update yesterday and can't wait to take advantage of new features. Everything went smoothly and faster than expected. Favorite feaure will be higher shutter speed/exposure compensation with auto iso and improved low light focus. Thanks Canon!

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:39 AM
KF
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Firmware update for 1DX

No problems updating two bodies. Everything went smoothly.

Favorite updates:

Seamlessly switch from manual AF point selection to Automatic point selection.
Shorter "mimimum speeds" in Auto ISO.
Same exposure for new lens aperture.
New possibilities with back-button customization.

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Firmware update for 1DX

No problems with the update. This has been true for every Canon body I've owned, and I always install FW updates.

I immediately made use of the exposure comp feature with manual exposure (shutter and aperture) and auto ISO.
Also found quicker and surer AF with 85L II in *very* low light.
Will certainly make use of full range of minimum shutter speeds for Av/auto ISO shooting.
I'm confident that the other AF tweaks and additional customization settings will be useful.

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:19 AM
lhdvries
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Firmware update for 1DX

No problems-best update on canon since I've been using them. I like all of the improvements with my favorite being the upping the available shutter speeds auto ISO.

Leon

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:47 AM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Firmware update for 1DX

Found this link mentioned in other thread helpful in navigating changes as well:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_firmware_upgrade.shtml

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Firmware update for 1DX

No problems updating. Key feature for me is the improved low light low contrast AF in both AI Servo and One Shot. I did not read anything in the update about One Shot AF but for low contrast things it AF locks a lot better now.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM
BCPete
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Firmware update for 1DX

Update was very easy.

Exposure compensation with Auto ISO when in Manual mode.

I played with it briefly this weekend, and it's going to work for me just fine.

When I was in Katmai last September, this was the exact thing that was missing from the 1DX in order for it to be darn near perfect for me. I'm happy.

Jan 13, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Firmware update for 1DX

Update was easy and smooth. Like it always is. Improved AF in AI Servo (low light) is my favorite feauture

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:36 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Firmware update for 1DX

Yep. Easy-peasy.

Same as BCPete and Lars; very happy with: EC with Auto ISO in M, and improved low-light AF in AI Servo.

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Firmware update for 1DX

No problems, just follow the directions as always and don't forget to pop out the battery at the very end for at least 2 seconds!!

Feature I'm looking forward to is EC in M mode with Auto-ISO enabled. Haven't had the need to use it yet but I know I will.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Firmware update for 1DX

arbitrage wrote:
No problems, just follow the directions as always and don't forget to pop out the battery at the very end for at least 2 seconds!!

Feature I'm looking forward to is EC in M mode with Auto-ISO enabled. Haven't had the need to use it yet but I know I will.

And where did you hear that, and what is supposed to do?
I have done updates on all my 1d bodies since the mk2 and never removed a battery post update?

Andy

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Firmware update for 1DX

Two bodies, all smooth. The Canon instructions on how to do the update tell you at the end to remove the battery for a few seconds and replace it, and restart to freshly load the new FW. I never knew that was supposed to be done until I heard that some folks who had issues on another body were commonly not doing this.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Firmware update for 1DX

I have never removed the battery after upgrading the firmware. And I have upgraded the firmware more than 25 times on 8 different bodies. Why would you need to do that Anyway it works exactly the same without removing it

Jan 14, 2014 at 04:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Firmware update for 1DX

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I have never removed the battery after upgrading the firmware.

Exactly. Just make sure the battery has plenty of charge - charge it fully if you want, copy the FW update onto a card, and follow the instructions in the menu.

Jan 14, 2014 at 04:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Firmware update for 1DX

I've never removed the battery either, although I just re-read the update instructions and that's what it says...

Stupid instructions

Jan 14, 2014 at 07:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Firmware update for 1DX

Yes, it usually won't matter but it is written in plain english in the final line of the PDF instructions. It is likely the cause of the very rare cases that FWs go corrupt. Well maybe not but I was told this here on FM a year or so ago...I think during the f/8 FW for the 5D3 and then noticed it in the instructions.

But, that said it is written plain as day in the provided instructions that come bundled in the FW download.

Jan 14, 2014 at 08:48 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Firmware update for 1DX

I removed the battery and restarted fresh. It takes what 10 seconds and if it avoids a rare problem then why wouldn't you do it?

Jan 14, 2014 at 08:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Firmware update for 1DX

I have finally had a chance to read the Rudy Winston article on the new FW. He did a great job of explaining all the small changes. I then finally sat down and switched on some of the new settings that make sense to me. So now I can expand on my reply....

Things I'm going to make use of in FW 2.0:
1) New negative settings for Accel/Decel tracking...Rudy says this allows the camera to not get confused if small object interfere during tracking, he says the other setting "Tracking Sensitivity" is for larger objects that get in the way. So now both can be set to -2 and you will always stay locked on. If this is relative to your type of shooting.

2) Maintain exposure when adding/subtracting TCs. This has 2 new options that either it will change your ISO or your SS when you change the Max Aperture available by adding a TC or zooming on a variable aperture zoom lens like 100-400. I have set it to ISO as I don't want my SS to drop from 1/1000 to 1/250 when I add a doubler to my lens but I do want my ISO to raise 2 stops to keep my Manually set exposure.

3) New customizable buttons. I was at first excited to see that * button can now be set to switch OneShot/AI servo. However, I now found out that if you already use back button to focus (I use AF-On button on 1DX) then it is hard to work this because you have to hold down the * and press AF-ON to get focus as the camera switches to One shot mode out of AIServo. I can do it but it is awkward and requires your thumb to hit two buttons at the same time!!
I used to have this function assigned to the lower front button but now I can re-assign that button back to the traditional DOF preview.

4) Funny thing is the 2 changes I thought would be the best about a year ago, have now become much less useful to me. This is because I forced myself to learn to shoot in full M mode this past 6 months. Now they have improved AV mode by giving you up to 1/8000 min SS setting. And they have improved M mode with Auto-ISO because you can now do EC.

I will still likely use M with Auto-ISO in changing light conditions. Therefore you can set your EC dependent on the colour of the bird and then allow the Auto-ISO to adapt to sun and shade.

Jan 14, 2014 at 08:58 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Firmware update for 1DX

Looking forward to trying the tc feature with the 200-400..

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:56 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Firmware update for 1DX

dehowie wrote:
Looking forward to trying the tc feature with the 200-400..

Somehow I was under the impression that the 200-400 already did this correctly, i.e. switched your exposure for you. Maybe I was wrong as seems odd only it would work.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.