New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Azalea

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Azalea

I found this Azalea blooming on a neighbor's bush today. I hope you like it!

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:27 AM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Azalea

gads, Endre, your yard must be full; and in winter time, too!
a neat image and I like the framing, which I have not noticed in the past.
regards, tom

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Azalea

Thank you, Tom! I'm so glad you like it! The yard isn't full of flowers yet but it will eventually be once spring time actually arrives. Unfortunately, Southern California is experiencing a drought so I wish it would rain a little bit more. Sunny, clear skies with warm temperatures get a little dull after awhile.

All best wishes,

Endre

tomandmarj wrote:
gads, Endre, your yard must be full; and in winter time, too!
a neat image and I like the framing, which I have not noticed in the past.
regards, tom

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:18 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Azalea

Endre, it's another beautiful flower image on a white background.
Would you mind sharing how you do this? Are you using natural light on the flower
and a flash to light the distanced white background?
Regards, Chris

Jan 13, 2014 at 06:20 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Azalea

Thanks, Chris! I'm delighted that you like it so much!

These are lit exactly the way I do my flowers with a black background - natural doorway light. Now, though, I have taken to using a white round reflector as background behind the flower and a speedlight to blow out the white. I find that the combination does produce some interesting light as the flash reflects on or through the petals of the flowers. Those provide some unintended, but pleasant accidental effects. I'm pretty lazy so I prefer to do the least amount possible while letting happy accidents take care of the rest. So, as you see, you guessed the exact details of the process perfectly.

All best wishes,

Endre

CDaescher wrote:
Endre, it's another beautiful flower image on a white background.

Would you mind sharing how you do this? Are you using natural light on the flower
and a flash to light the distanced white background?
Regards, Chris

Edited on Jan 14, 2014 at 03:15 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2014 at 06:42 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Azalea

spectacular, this really works extremely well, loving this new series and finding frequent post by you, all very nice

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Azalea

Nice to have you more solidly back, Endre.
And another winning image, even if you had to sneak over to the neighbor's house this time
Scott

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Azalea

Endre,

Thanks for a great image and sharing the technique, but as always, I'm sure the devil is in the details.

If you really want to see magnificent azaleas, visit Augusta, GA late March, early April.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Azalea

Thank you Endre for sharing. I really appreciate it.
Regards, Chris

Strad wrote:
Thanks, Chris! I'm delighted that you like it so much!

These are lit exactly the way I do my flowers with a black background - natural doorway light. Now, though, I have taken to using a white round reflector as background behind the flower and a speedlight to blow out the white. I find that the combination does produce some interesting light as the flash reflects on or through the petals of the flowers. Those provide some unintended, but pleasant accidental effects. I'm pretty lazy so I prefer to do the least amount possible while letting happy accidents take care of
...Show more

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Azalea

Thanks, Bob! I'm very glad you like it. I guess there are some details that I just do without thinking but, as Patsy said in her posting to Tom about his flower shot, she's been over to see me work (both shooting and processing) and there isn't that much more to it. I guess I'm just lucky to have nice light to start with.

I would love to come to Georgia in March. Maybe someday. I'm pretty much limited to the flowers I can scrounge from my back yard or buy at the local flower stores. But with that limitation, I still managed to do about 190 with black backgrounds so now that I am doing the same with white backgrounds, there are more to come.

All best wishes,

Endre

Bob Jarman wrote:
Endre,

Thanks for a great image and sharing the technique, but as always, I'm sure the devil is in the details.

If you really want to see magnificent azaleas, visit Augusta, GA late March, early April.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.