New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Which one looks best?

chuckles84
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which one looks best?

I'm looking at one of these four photos to use for the weekly assignment with "signs" as the theme. What do you guys think? Any improvements to them that you may suggest? I just did a little tweaking in LR4.

Thanks for looking!

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which one looks best?

I prefer your images where the signs are closer to eye level so ! vs 2.
In 3 the green sliver detracts. Clone it out.
Not finding any of these strong enough compositionally to successfully compete in the WA.
Eric Kim, who used to post extensively on BW, had a large series of pedestrians in front of murals, graffiti, ads and signs where there was an interplay between the subject of the mural and the passersby.
I might look for some contradiction between sign and scene or a unique vantage point.
Scott

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:28 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which one looks best?

Thank you Scott, I appreciate your input and honesty. I'm no where near a pro, in fact I'm a photography noob (little over a year of shooting). I just like to challenge myself and this is my offering for the weekly assignment, even if they're not the best. I would like to learn about composition and what is pleasing to the eye.

I personally like number 2 because the background somewhat matches the sign. I was going for similarity rather than contradiction.

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:13 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which one looks best?

Just figured out how to "clone" in LR. Here is the image with the green cloned out. I also added one more picture with a somewhat contradictory scene perhaps.

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:46 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which one looks best?

As a picture of a sign, #4 would be my vote out of these four. The sign itself, with its colors and many arrows, does more to confuse than to clarify, it seems to me. The sign itself in #3 is kind of humorous because of its unusual content -- why would horses suddenly be allowed in an emergency? But in #3 the pedestrian distracts a bit -- it would have been better of course if it was someone on horseback! The first two seem kind of busy and flat to my eye.

I hope this helps,
Keith

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:26 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which one looks best?

That does help Keith, thank you very much. I wish the first two turned out a little better because I liked the idea behind what I was trying to do. I'll probably just go with number 4 unless something better comes along, lol!

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:33 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which one looks best?

#1. FWIW

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:08 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which one looks best?

Thanks Bryan, I ended up using #1. I tweaked it a little bit, but I'm happy with it. Thanks for the help you guys!!

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:59 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which one looks best?

I think with an assignment as bland as "signs", the key to a successful photo is to have either a strong graphic element to the composition, or some irony in juxtaposing the sign with its surroundings. Unfortunately, you don't have either element in these choices. None are bad, but I bet you could find better.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM
chuckles84
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which one looks best?

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the input. I wasn't overly impressed by any of them either, lol. I do really like the weekly assignments to excersise my creativeness. Have to start somewhere.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.