New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

Elfraim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

Hey FM, I have been lurking around the forums for a long time now and falling more and more in love with photography.

As i am still in active duty (finishing in 2 months) i don't take pictures as much as i would like but! everything is going to change once i'm out.

Here are some pictures i took yesterday for my sister, C&C please! i am a newbie and i sold my old gear (and buying new gear in 2 months) I used my sisters KIT cannon.

3 - I wish i had a better lens to give it a more shallow depth of field.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

Welcome! The following is meant to help make you and I better photographers and is offered in a friendly tone. It is simply one person's opinion, for what it's worth

Prior to taking each of these pictures, what decisions did you deliberately make regarding lighting, posing, composition, and exposure? Was there a vision you were trying to achieve? Or did you simply raise the camera and shoot what was there?

1. Interesting idea, but composition does not work for me. Should have kicked that brown pillow off the couch, it distracts. Kid's eyes towards the camera are strange.

2. Harsh lighting and very contrasty, which I think goes against the mood you are going for. Crookedness doesn't work for me. Splotches in the background are distracting.

3. I kind of like the crookedness in this one. The background really does not work for me, and the railing bisects the kid's head which is generally a no-no.

Keep shooting and you will get better! Photography is not a spectator sport. FWIW

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

She looks like she is ready to deliver any second now...

Congrats on being a new uncle/aunt

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

I pretty much agree with what Bryan said and will just offer my words.

1. On our left, her tummy blends into the lightness of the couch or whatever she's laying on. Girl should be looking at her Mom, not at camera, IMO.

2. I like this. I just don't like how his black shirt and pants blend into the background. Create some separation. Be sure you're taking the background into consideration when you do your shots.

3. I get why you did the tilt. You wanted the girl's hands in the shot. But the tilt doesn't work for me as the balcony railing creates a tilting line that doesn't make any sense. Further into the background, the buildings are tilted. Just doesn't work for me. Maybe shoot wider? Maybe you couldn't.

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Elfraim
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

Thanks for all the C&C i will use them wisely

I really need to look more at the background of my subject.

And yea shes 9 months in! ready to pop out the twins any minute now !

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:04 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sisters maternity - Few shots

Elfraim wrote:
Hey FM, I have been lurking around the forums for a long time now and falling more and more in love with photography.

Oh, one more thing. I hope you meant browsing instead of lurking, as lurking is a little creepy

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.