p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gender gap

For fun...boys being boys

Bob

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gender gap

Good one Bob. Maybe a little more light thrown into the front of the boiler to better define the wreath, but other than a slightly wider view to include the top of the stack, it's very nice for the actual subject matter of the two boys checking out the old steamer.
Douglas

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:41 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gender gap

Very nice! I like the processing. The toning feels just right for the subject and its age. Well-captioned.
Scott

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:14 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gender gap

Great capture, Bob! You do such beautiful toning. I wish I knew how you do it! Bravo!

All best wishes,

Endre

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:25 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gender gap

douter wrote:
Good one Bob. Maybe a little more light thrown into the front of the boiler to better define the wreath, but other than a slightly wider view to include the top of the stack, it's very nice for the actual subject matter of the two boys checking out the old steamer.
Douglas

Douglas,

The engine was coupled to the dining car at front. During the entire day it either had the coal tender or another car at front. The organ grinder said there was a 'round-table' at the station but Adolf took it in WWII and when he left it was never returned.

Rechecked and the smoke stack is clipped in all images from that vantage point - I need to speak with the photographer about that

The couple discussed the engine and then she moved away while father and child observed more closely. And then there was some guy with a D300 who always seemed to wander into the frame at inopportune times...geesh, guys with DSLRs think they own the place - still fun time though.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gender gap

sbeme wrote:
Very nice! I like the processing. The toning feels just right for the subject and its age. Well-captioned.
Scott

Glad you enjoy it Scott, thanks for your comment

Bob

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gender gap

Strad wrote:
Great capture, Bob! You do such beautiful toning. I wish I knew how you do it! Bravo!

All best wishes,

Endre

Endre,

Thank you for your very gracious compliment - a work in progress.

How? Find a hue combination for highlights and shadows in the Split-Toning Panel of LR, then fiddle/tune (no pun intended ) with saturation and blend to suit the image and your taste. 30-30 is a reasonable point to start. My fine color discrimination is challenged (my wife says a typical genetic defect in males) so what I 'see' does not always exactly match things as seen by others. Sorting black, brown, and blue socks under incandescent light is a challenge....most pairs of my socks are black.

For anyone interested Thomas Neimann, epaperpress.com has a full set of actions for a variety of tones, each as a layer, with infinite possibilities in combinations - good tools to experiment and play.

Thank you again Endre, greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Bob

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.