Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

More from my 2011 Galapagos trip...I still can't figure out how to tell the Magnificent (the one seen in NA) from the Great Frigate that is also in the Galapagos. Supposedly the Magnificent has purple sheen and the Great has green sheen in the adult back feathers. I think these are all Magnificent but maybe they are Great....who knows or really cares? The white head ones are the 1st year juvies and the little fuzzy guy is obvious!!

C&C welcomed, appreciated and will be argued

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

More amazing shots. Geoff! I don't believe I have ever seen anything like what you have presented in 1 and 2- a real treat to view! 3 is a terrific perched shot and 4 is a classic preening shot with nice soft light and BG. The last one is too cute! Wondering what more you've got up your sleeve ?

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

mitesh wrote:
More amazing shots. Geoff! I don't believe I have ever seen anything like what you have presented in 1 and 2- a real treat to view! 3 is a terrific perched shot and 4 is a classic preening shot with nice soft light and BG. The last one is too cute! Wondering what more you've got up your sleeve ?

Thanks Mitesh, do you think the face/eye on the 2nd is too dark. Looking a little dark to me as I view it on here.
Let me know if you come back here and read this.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

One extra, as I thought this is cool to see them flying inflated

Does this help or hinder flight??? Who knows.......

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Neat set Geoff. Love the balloon shots. Amazingly stretchable throats.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

arbitrage wrote:
Thanks Mitesh, do you think the face/eye on the 2nd is too dark. Looking a little dark to me as I view it on here.
Let me know if you come back here and read this.

Thanks

I'm looking at these on a mobile device, so probably not the best medium to judge nuance. That said, I can see the eye pretty clearly. If you decided to raise shadows/blacks a tad, a modest amount would probably suffice because I think you would want to avoid unnatural lightness where the eye expects shadow. My .02, but I'm predisposed to going easy on the PP

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Wonderful set Geoff with 2 and 3 being my favorites.

Birdie

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

This is a great set of birds we don't see a lot of here, that's a nice change of pace.

1 I think the cropping works well on this one, the bright spot in upper left is somewhat distracting
3 I like this one, I wish the tail wasn't chopped
4 The winner in my mind
5 I got a chuckle out of this one

Tim

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:43 PM
markdennis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Very good you could get so close, but these are big birds. I'm guessing they were not too frightened of you. The last one is terrific.

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:02 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Tim Kuhn wrote:
This is a great set of birds we don't see a lot of here, that's a nice change of pace.

1 I think the cropping works well on this one, the bright spot in upper left is somewhat distracting
3 I like this one, I wish the tail wasn't chopped
4 The winner in my mind
5 I got a chuckle out of this one

Tim

1) This is FF.... so I'm glad you liked my framing....not sure what I was thinking back in those days?? Why not zoom back to 100mm at least or back up...except the trails are only about 3-6 feet wide that you are allowed to walk on so maybe that was why. I like how it looks also.
3) Me too, again, I have no idea what I was doing in those days
4) Thanks
5) Cute? or not? that is the question only a mother can answer!!

Do you think the face/eye is okay for brightness in #2 as I asked Mitesh? Let me know if you see this. Thanks for all your continued critique and support!!

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:16 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

birdied wrote:
Wonderful set Geoff with 2 and 3 being my favorites.

Birdie

Thanks Birdie. Much appreciated.

Jan 12, 2014 at 03:25 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

A very interesting bird, Geoff, well exposed and with fine detail.
I'm hoping after more than two years you have learned not to cut parts of the bird anymore
It still happens to me too and when I do, if I like the shot I go closer and make a portrait type image. In composition lies a lot of freedom.
Here is a suggestion for your consideration. I will delete it as soon as you will look at it.
I enjoyed the post. The last one is very cool! This is one bird I would love to shoot one day.
Socrate

Edited on Jan 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:12 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

A very nice set Geoff. Don't you just hate it when you get so close most of your shots are full frame... I'd be happy with any of these, but I keep going back to 3 despite the tailectomy. The eye area in 2 looks natural to me ~ Ron

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

KCollett wrote:
Neat set Geoff. Love the balloon shots. Amazingly stretchable throats.

Thanks Ken

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

markdennis wrote:
Very good you could get so close, but these are big birds. I'm guessing they were not too frightened of you. The last one is terrific.

Thanks Mark. In the Galapagos you are required to stay on a path that is often only 3-6 ft wide and therefore having a zoom lens is a good idea as you can't really move back or forwards to compose the shots. These birds, and for that matter none of the birds or animals in the Galapagos, don't have any fear of humans and they are happily nesting and raising young just off the path.

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:06 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Shasoc wrote:
A very interesting bird, Geoff, well exposed and with fine detail.
I'm hoping after more than two years you have learned not to cut parts of the bird anymore
It still happens to me too and when I do, if I like the shot I go closer and make a portrait type image. In composition lies a lot of freedom.
Here is a suggestion for your consideration. I will delete it as soon as you will look at it.
I enjoyed the post. The last one is very cool! This is one bird I would love to shoot one day.
Socrate

Thanks Socrate, I really like your crop. Please leave it up for others to see the difference.

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:07 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

surfnron wrote:
A very nice set Geoff. Don't you just hate it when you get so close most of your shots are full frame... I'd be happy with any of these, but I keep going back to 3 despite the tailectomy. The eye area in 2 looks natural to me ~ Ron

Thanks Ron. I guess what I really needed was a nice 5D3 at the time....too bad it didn't exist till a year later

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

arbitrage wrote:
1) This is FF.... so I'm glad you liked my framing....not sure what I was thinking back in those days?? Why not zoom back to 100mm at least or back up...except the trails are only about 3-6 feet wide that you are allowed to walk on so maybe that was why. I like how it looks also.
3) Me too, again, I have no idea what I was doing in those days
4) Thanks
5) Cute? or not? that is the question only a mother can answer!!

Do you think the face/eye is okay for brightness in #2 as I asked Mitesh? Let
...Show more

Hi Geoff, I was trying to be neutral about 2, let's just say it isn't my favorite. The face is a too dark for this shot, the breast is too bright and steals the show. I also think that the focus fell on the breast, that is sharp as a tack, the face looks soft to me. I wasn't going to say anything.......

tim

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:15 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Very nice set.

Paul

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:47 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Frigates ready to attract a mate!!

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Hi Geoff, I was trying to be neutral about 2, let's just say it isn't my favorite. The face is a too dark for this shot, the breast is too bright and steals the show. I also think that the focus fell on the breast, that is sharp as a tack, the face looks soft to me. I wasn't going to say anything.......

tim

You are right about #2, the focus is on the rippled red breast pouch. Focus on the head eye is falling out of the DOF a bit and is going soft. Remember, don't hold back, on my account, I'm happy to have the critiques, a lot of the Frigate pics I have from this same day are all focused either front or back on bushes or breasts.

If I was back there today, I would likely use spot-focus mode on the 5D3 or 1DX to really nail the focus where I want it. For perched, still birds I find that spot-mode (also on the 7D) to be very good. It is slower to AF but barely noticeable.

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.