New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Large format scanner recommendations

Lutefisker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Large format scanner recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations on a large format scanner for old family photos, and my son & daughters artwork. An 8.5 by 11 scanner is too small and it appears the next larger size is A3, which is larger that what I need at present. I've seen some descriptions of the Epson Expression 11000XL (an A3 scanner) but I'm not finding much for in-depth reviews. Any recommendations?

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Large format scanner recommendations

You could try photographing them with your DSLR camera. Less convenient to do but it saves on cost of a new scanner and also on storage space when you're not scanning. Depending on when you do it you might get away with ambient lighting and perhaps adding a white reflector so that you need not buy speedlites or other dedicated lighting. Use a small enough aperture and even bends in the prints will not cause significant focus errors. Use a tripod and any shutter speed will be ok, so that you can stick with low ISO for best noise and DR performance.

As you are dealing with printed photos instead of film you can get away with using anything from 200-600ppi equivalent. i.e. Certainly no need for 2000ppi or more for this application.

The biggest downside of dealing with prints instead of film is that any blown highlights or lost shadows are already locked in forever, but you can still manipulate the contrast and so on to add a bit of life to the new versions that you create.

I believe that it is best to use colour mode rather than B&W even for B&W photos.

- Alan

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Large format scanner recommendations

Thanks for the reply, Alan. Although there are some other factors (some film, lots of slides), I think I'll take your suggestion and rig a copy stand.

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.