Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Portraits of a Lady

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Portraits of a Lady

My friend asked me to take some pictures of his wife for her birthday. They never got good wedding portraits, and they wanted a portrait so that one day grandchildren would look and say "wow, look at how pretty grandma was." They have two lovely daughters and the subject is an excellent mother and wife. Hopefully I did an alright job, and both my friend and his wife will like these.

Your thoughts and comments are, of course, always welcome.

4. (ADDED)

Edited on Jan 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:22 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Portraits of a Lady

Evan, really love 1 and 3, but 2 doesn't work for me at all. The shadows feel wrong on the inside of her nose and in her eye socket, but more than anything, it may just be her expression. It's like she's between expressions. The same lighting seems nice on 3, but her expression is so different.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:02 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Portraits of a Lady

#3 for me...

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:11 AM
Robert Moore

p.1 #4 · Portraits of a Lady

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:16 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · Portraits of a Lady

Agree, #3 for me

she's a beautiful woman

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:05 AM
swordfishphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Portraits of a Lady

#3 is the best but there are some issues with lighting that could have removed the idea of wrinkles along her cheek.

Also, you think if the grandkids got a hold of these 50 years from now, maybe they'll wonder why the heck they were shot in black and white? haha

Jan 12, 2014 at 08:27 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Portraits of a Lady

Thank you all for the feedback!

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:16 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · Portraits of a Lady

I really savor your handling of light and shadow, Evan. The subtle gradation and ever so slight caressing of the contours of the human face, body and so on. To me, your portraits are beautiful compositions and waltzes of bright and dark. When I view them, I feel like Im settling into them.

Im a fan of truth in portraits like this and am inclined to preserve the natural blemishes and the lines and details of time and experience.

At the same time, in my own work in this vein, Ive made peace with the reality that a conflict occurs between this sublime lighting approach and the way the subject generally appears in less dramatic lighting. When I light like this, its as if I deliberately tried to cast a shadow on every pore and wrinkle and it exaggerates the flaws.

So for myself, I choose to back it down a bit in post. Not to hide truth, more to lessen the exaggeration my chosen lighting effect has created.

Regards,

Chuck

Jan 12, 2014 at 03:07 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · Portraits of a Lady

Still studying them... 3.. the handling of her (camera) left edge, from the top highlight on her hair, down her locks, shoulder and right arm... sublime.

Rim light always works, fade to the background is often dramatic... but this handling is so understated and quiet. It begs for the viewer to study and discover.

I like it.

Jan 12, 2014 at 03:16 PM
StuCollings
• •
p.1 #10 · Portraits of a Lady

I'm going to buck the trend here - no. 1 is the one that works best for me.

It shows her beauty and the smile hints at a great fun-loving disposition.

It may not be technically the best but it sure provides a glimpse of her personality.

Jan 12, 2014 at 07:34 PM

John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #11 · Portraits of a Lady

Number 2 for me: Great dignity, yet there is a softness in her stance.

Were number 1 less tightly composed, and the skin treatment toned down, I'd be drawn to number 1 as well.

John Caldwell

Jan 12, 2014 at 08:08 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · Portraits of a Lady

4 for the win.

Nothing to not like about that portrait. None of my nits are even worth mentioning.

I love the black and whites but the light, color, gradation in separation, expression, pose and feel of 4 is (to me) classic, nuanced studio portraiture.

Thanks for sharing. It went straight into my reference file.

Chuck

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM
scorpio1
• • •
p.1 #13 · Portraits of a Lady

#3 is Wonderful!

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #14 · Portraits of a Lady

scorpio1 wrote:
#3 is Wonderful!

+1

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · Portraits of a Lady

friscoron wrote:
Evan, really love 1 and 3, but 2 doesn't work for me at all. The shadows feel wrong on the inside of her nose and in her eye socket, but more than anything, it may just be her expression. It's like she's between expressions. The same lighting seems nice on 3, but her expression is so different.

+1

#4 too

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Portraits of a Lady

Thank you all for the feedback!

FWIW,

Key light was the same old 64" Soft Silver PLM w/ white diffusion that I've been using. On axis fill from an einstein w/ small reflector, background w/ 30deg grid, and a large silver reflector providing accent lighting as needed.

V/R
-Evan

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Portraits of a Lady

#1 & #3 for me, with a nod to the attitude in #4. #3 is a good example of how to handle a sleeveless dress. I might have gotten her to pull her left arm just off her body a little. In #4, I'd consider knocking down the reflection on her fingernail.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #18 · Portraits of a Lady

My vote goes to #3, beautiful, picture and subject.

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:15 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Portraits of a Lady

3 & 4 - nice lighting

Jan 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #20 · Portraits of a Lady

#3 should sure do the job for Glamorous Grandma. Beautiful!

Jan 15, 2014 at 02:09 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password