Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Are filter sizes important?

Jeephoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are filter sizes important?

Is having the same filter size in a lens system important? Do all the lenses in your system need to be the same size? Do you base your decision to buy a lens on the filter size?

Nikon used to have all their lenses with 52mm & 72mm filter sizes. Now the filter sizes can be 52, 58, 62, 72 or 77mm in one set of lenses.

I, personally, try to buy lenses with the same filter size, or close to it. All my current lenses are 52mm, 72mm or 77mm. I have only 52mm filters: polarizer & soft focus.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM
cbbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are filter sizes important?

Its easier to have them all the same, but not a deal breaker. I have a couple of step-up rings so that I can use things like 77mm ND & C-Pol filters on all of my lenses without duplicating.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:00 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are filter sizes important?

It all depends. I have a set of lenses that takes 62mm lenses. All of them AF lenses too, and they cover most focal lengths I need when Iīm out hiking.

I also have a set of manual focus lenses that uses 52mm filters.

For both I have a few ND filters and a polarizer.

When I take out the 80-200 f2,8 I donīt intend to make use of filters anyways so I donīt need a filter for that size (77mm)

The one lens that bothers me slightly is the 14-24 that would require special filters. I donīt have any filters for that lens but use it as is to keep things simple.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are filter sizes important?

Not as important as it was. Stepping rings are available and allow one to use a large ring filter on smaller diameter lenses easily. I think there is less use of b&w film so less need for the filters used mostly for effects there. Many other filter effects can be applied in post processing. And I think there is more use of rectangular filters as well. Then if one was in the filter as lens protection camp, you'd only need one filter for a lens and wouldn't typically be swapping them around either.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:03 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are filter sizes important?

Stepping rings can be a pain however. I have a set of B+W in various sizes. They seemed to get stuck on the lens or filter far more frequently than just a filter getting stuck..

Aside from a Lee filter system, my screw in filters are all 77mm now. I think that's just an evolution as you increase your collection of lenses.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are filter sizes important?

Hi Larry,

While of course it's convenient when we can buy lenses with the same filter sizes, the point of buying a lens is to get a good quality photo from it. Myself, when I buy a lens, whether it's the Nikon 14-24mm or the 16-35mm, or the 70-200mm. I bought them to meet a specific need, and I bought them because of their quality. When researching the lenses I did look at what filter size they would take, as it is great when a new lens does take an existing filter size, the #1 consideration is the quality of the lens. It's the quality of the lens that is #1. It almost seems like you are placing the filter size of a lens as more important than the quality of the lens, which I am sure you don't mean. A lens that has the right filter size, but has horrible optical quality will prove nothing for us.

Jim

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:51 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are filter sizes important?

JimFox wrote:
Hi Larry,

While of course it's convenient when we can buy lenses with the same filter sizes, the point of buying a lens is to get a good quality photo from it. Myself, when I buy a lens, whether it's the Nikon 14-24mm or the 16-35mm, or the 70-200mm. I bought them to meet a specific need, and I bought them because of their quality. When researching the lenses I did look at what filter size they would take, as it is great when a new lens does take an existing filter size, the #1 consideration is the quality of the
...Show more

+1

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are filter sizes important?

I really prefer sticking to one filter size. I only buy high quality multicoated ones, and the cost would add up. The only round filter I use any more is a polarizer though. I use rectangular ND grads. Filter size is a factor in my lens purchases. I don't like step rings because I try to always use a lens hood. The lenses i use now are Nikons 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 80-400mm f5.6, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. They all take 77mm and I don't feel I've compromised lens quality at all with these lenses.

Kent in SD

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:11 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are filter sizes important?

My Lee filters are all the same size - 100mm. I rarely ever use any other filters any more.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Jeephoto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are filter sizes important?

Thanks for the insightful comments everyone. I love this forum.

I posted to see if filters are still important in this digital/photoshop age, and how people are dealing with the various filter sizes.

I agree that filter size is just one thing to consider in lens choice; image quality has to be the top consideration. But how a lens is used is important: filter sets, stepping rings, lens hoods & lens caps.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are filter sizes important?

Jeephoto wrote:
I posted to see if filters are still important in this digital/photoshop age

You did not ask this as part of your original question.

It depends on your preferred subject matter. I can only speak from a landscape side.

So, you do need a polarizer, no amount of processing can duplicate what a polarizer does. Other filters, like a GND, or a several stop ND filter may or may not be necessary - depending on your personal preference, post processing abilities, and other factors.

It's also a personal choice as far as UV filters. I go both ways with them. If there is no danger to a lens I leave off, but if there is high wind, blowing sand, or spitting snow or rain I'll put on. However, in the end, they are off the lens 90% of the time.

Also, recognize that shooters use many different types of processing software, some may not have, or cannot afford the capabilities of a Photoshop, so a filter may be more important in that case. To get it done right, or close, in camera.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM
chili555

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are filter sizes important?

My primary lenses are 24-70mm, 80-200mm and 300mm f/4, all using 77mm filters. I carry three filters, a circular polarizer, a 10-stop ND and a grad ND. Simplify, simplify.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are filter sizes important?

I don't see much problem with filters with the exception of gradient filter (as the effect can be not as desirable once stepped up) and there are only certain filters one would need to carry. (besides UV/protecting filter, but that's another topic)

For example, I have only one set of utility filters (NDs, Gra and CPL) and they are all in 77mm. I then bought all the step up adapters for lenses that are not 77mm.

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:20 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are filter sizes important?

ckcarr wrote:
So, you do need a polarizer, no amount of processing can duplicate what a polarizer does.

I find that I seldom need or want a polarizer, as I can easily increase colour saturation in post-processing, but it takes a whole lot more work to correct the uneven colour and polarization effects in skies.

The only times I ever use a polarizer now are when I need a slower shutter speed and don't have an ND filter handy, or occasionally for removing reflections from wet foliage in a forest.

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are filter sizes important?

Size always matters ^_^

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:25 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are filter sizes important?

Of course, having the same size on several lenses helps. Otherwise, step up/down adapters are so cheap:
an example for about EUR/USD 15

D8B_6405 by gugs, on Flickr

Guy

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.