Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

Hi.

So I have something weird going on and I'm going to try my best to explain it:

I am using an early 2011 15" MBP.

I have a (new to me) Dell U2711. It is set to 1920x1080 until I get the Thunderbolt>Dual DVI convertor. Right now I think it's a single DVI convertor.

I am using an X-rite Colormunki calibrater.

I have calibrated both monitors in the same ambient light. BUT.. they are different. The MBP seems more 'correct' and all of my previous photos have been calibrated on it correctly.. or so I assume because my critique group has been commenting on the images as I feel I am seeing them.. and I feel I am seeing everyone's images as they intend.

I edited my first image on this monitor and everyone is telling me that my shadows are too bright. This caused me to think that something is up with the monitor because I've never gotten that comment and the shadows on the edited image look sweet. So I open it on the MBP and sure enough.. it looks like crap. So I start investigating.

Basically.. I can take the image from the Dell and drag it to the MBP. When the image is half on one monitor and half on the other monitor the image will change ON BOTH MONITORS. Does that make sense?

Let me try again: I have the image on the dell. Shadows look fine. When I drag it towards the MBP at some point.. the image will show as it shows on the MBP (shadows too bright) but it will show that way on both the Dell and the MBP. When I drag it towards the Dell.. it switched back to the Dell profile on BOTH the Dell and the MBP.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why it would do this. Does anyone have insight?

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM
nWmR12
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

I know what you are talking about it sounds like a Gamma issue with the new Dell monitor, not sure what your setting is for it.
When you calibrate it again I would make sure the gamma matches with the MBP. I would personally go find, really any gamma monitor test to compare them, then use the MBP as the control for the new dell.
I have a Dell U2410 (which is good but has its own problems with being calibrated)that would do the same thing it would be really dark but would be super light on my MBP. I have no experience with that calibrator tool, I use the spyder version but the principle should be the same.
Change the gamma in the settings when using the calibrator, the MBP and Dell will probably have different settings..but you get the idea...I am assuming you have calibrated your MBP.

Hope that helps, and good luck getting it working.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try it out. Even using the calibration software for matching the two didn't work. I tried to calibrate the Dell and then match the MBP to it.. but I still had the same effect happening. Now I calibrated the MBP and am going to try and match the Dell to that.

You would think that even matching the MBP to the Dell would alleviate any 'differences' But there's a significant difference between the two.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

What calibration parameters (gamma, white point temperature, brightness) did you choose for both displays?

Edit: How did you determine that the Dell is wrong - if each shows the result differently, isn't it possible that the wrong one is actually the Apple? Could you post an example? Isn't the Dell's black point set too high?

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

I determine that the Dell is wrong because already edited images look horrible on it. Saturation is way off.. shadows too dark. Both my images and the images of others.

I've done all kinds of different settings trying to get them to match. I think the general settings are D65 for the White point and 120 for the luminance. I kept gamma at 2.2 I believe.

I'm not sure how we'll you'll be able to see the differences this way. But when you drag and it changes it's significant.

Here is the image showing up as the MBP. I have to do this on the very edge of the screen while dragging and then screen cap it on the same monitor.

And here it is as the Dell..

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:15 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

Also.. upon showing these images to my friend (the image is his) he determined the MBP version to be as he intended.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:04 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

FYI.. FINALLY got a response from Xrite:

We've done some additional research into this matter, and it would appear that you are possibly experiencing an issue with Mac/Dell differences in how the display information is being delivered.

Here's a comment we've received from Dell.

We are well aware of this issue. It is a required feature for monitor EDID to specify support of both RGB and YPbPr. This is especially true in HDMI where it can be connected to DVD players/game consoles etc. But the Mac OS somehow default to YPbPr color space when it read the monitor EDID. In general YPbPr is for movie and not text, therefore there is a lot more color/sharpness enhancement(like a TV). When viewing text in such mode, the text will have some degree of overshoot/shadow and color might be over-saturate.
The only way on monitor side to overcome this is to remove the YPbPr support in monitor EDID. This is not feasible at least in HDMI. We may do so in DP but may cause other problem with professional graphic designers. So having the patch to “overwrite” the EDID is the way around it for now. Apple as you see is aware of this, whether they want to “help” the industry and do the right thing, we are not sure.

So, to make a long story short, this seems to be something that both Dell and Apple are aware of, but there's no resolution currently for this situation.

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Issue with Dell U2711 and MBP calibration..

TJ,

What connector are you using to connect to the U2711? Your initial post implies DVI but I just want to check that it's not HDMI.

Feb 04, 2014 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.