Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
are contax mount jupiter-3s better quality?

No- not that easy to sort out. "Overall", quality between the two is the same. The Contax mount is much simpler, less to go wrong with it. The Leica mounts- I've seen some that are perfect, some that needed the helical repositioned in the mount to drive the RF to infinity. Optically- production went from KMZ (Trapezoid as shown), to ZOMZ (triplet and Eyeball Logo), to Valdai- as shown. I've found that the first year or so within each company, quality varies. By 1951, KMZ hot a good stride. By 1958, ZOMZ hit a good stride. Valdai: all over the place.

Back to the safest bet is to buy one from a forum where someone actually can show pictures taken with the lens.

Valdai J-3

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

To add to that, my friend who bought me the Helios said that the first copy he looked at had bubbles in the glass (!), and that this was considered "normal" (!!). The second copy I ended up with has a screw in the side of the mount area which stops the lens when it is put on, and this screw was a bit too large, so he filed it down a bit. Optically, the lens is great, exactly what we expected and hoped for, but the mechanics are a little rough. I have no idea how much variation there is in the optics.

Edited on Jan 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

My 1950 J-3 was unusable when received. New mount, optics repositioned in the fixture.

R60 filter. Focus mount modified for 0.75m

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Bubbles in glass- normal, do not worry about small bubbles. "Classical Glass", turn on the bubble-machine.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

BrianVS wrote:
Bubbles in glass- normal, do not worry about small bubbles. "Classical Glass", turn on the bubble-machine.

+1

early zeiss, leica, nikkor, and canon glass all have these bubbles.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

carstenw wrote:
Wow, it's tiny! Interesting rendering, very different from the usual stuff around here.

yup, size is a great match to small mirrorless cameras. size and drawing is pretty much the same as the new zeiss zm 50/1.5 though image quality falls of faster away form the center on the jupiter. i have to admit i haven't fully come to terms with how to best take advantage of it's rendering yet.

a couple from this morning, first one wide open, second probably at f/2:

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Is eBay my only source for a Jupiter 3?

There are a few online shops that deal in USSR glass, two I know of:
http://fedka.com/catalog/index.php
http://top35mm.com
Wow they sure have climbed in price.

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
are contax mount jupiter-3s better quality?

They are usually cheaper than LTM versions, and they are less likely to have been messed with since the helicoids are on the camera and the lens is very simple.

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:17 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

carstenw wrote:
I have no idea how much variation there is in the optics.

There is huge variation in quality with all the Jupiter lenses….

Jan 12, 2014 at 03:22 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Gary Clennan wrote:

It's not limited to Jupiter lenses, Helios have the same issues with variability in quality.
Though to be fair, many have been opened up by the sellers because they need relubing, and some seem to have new lube over the old which is far from ideal.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Gary Clennan wrote:

a lot of the jupiter variation observed by westerners is due to mechanical differences between russian cameras/lenses and leica cameras rather than actual optical variation (most of the variation is in the coupling not the optics).

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Am I weird that I prefer the look of most of these lenses over the "technically perfect shots" taken with modern glass? I regularly use two lenses (not Russian, one is East German and the other a southern German) and I simply love their rendering. I ordered an m39 mount and will probably order an m42 and m49 here soon. I love the character of these old lenses.

Where can I find info on some of the adjustments you speak of to make them work with modern bodies? I have a lens that I think is an old rangefinder lens, but I have never seen one like it before. It looks like the focal length is to long for its overall size (it looks like a roll of dimes) but it's in perfect shape. I think its m39 mount, but may be smaller.

I have a line on a few of the Jupiter glass. After seeing the work here, I am going to pursue it and see what is available.

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:17 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

I sent PDF files for adjusting the Juputer-3 to Jason Howe to host at his site:

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/2013/02/06/jupiter-3-f1-5-information-update/

I've taken a lot (200 or more) of these lenses apart in the last 10 years, shot with most of them. Most of the issues stem from differences between the Russian standard 52.4mm focal length and the Leica standard 51.6mm focal length. Some problems stem from misassembled lenses, either at the factory or by botched repair jobs. The Valdai lenses- took me a long time to find one that was optically good, most were very soft wide-open and better by F4. With these- it's the optical fixtures that have too much slop in them, the glass is not positioned within spec. I've moved glass from them to earlier fixtures with good results.

Edited on Jan 12, 2014 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:01 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Heafty crop from earlier last year, June 30 2013, FujiFilm XE-1 and Jupiter 3 50/1.5:
The lens has an interesting background bokeh at certain times.
On this crop, looks as if some type of wet sculpted glass?

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:29 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

carstenw wrote:
Any chance of posting shots of these lenses?

Helios 40-2:

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/CW_20140106_iPhone5S_0001.jpg

A couple of questions:

1) How sharp is the lens stopped down? Landscape sharp? Compared to the contax-g 90/2.8 for instance?

2) What different mounts is it available in? What makes for the shortest adapter length?

I kind of want to change my contax-g 90/2.8 up for something that does not have the choppy contax-g adapter, but I kind of want to have the sharp landscape element too.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Helios 40 85mm/1.5 - old chrome version

kwoodard wrote:
Am I weird that I prefer the look of most of these lenses over the "technically perfect shots" taken with modern glass?..

No, I hope not.
I also prefer sometimes lenses with far from perfect quality, like the Meyer Trioplan 100 for example, or Petzval type lenses. Or I remove the AR coating from a lens, like here with the cheap Helios 44:

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

I am really fond of my Helios 44M-6. The last year or so I have mostly used it for macro(ish) shots such as this one.

My M-6 is of 1991 vintage and was very clean when it arrived from Ukraine.

The subject is dirty but suitable. The photo is not a very good shot but it's all I found at the moment. I can post more later on when I get home.

NEX-5N and Helios 44M-6 with extension tubes

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

What watch is that? I love the cushion case and no-nonsense markings

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Hawkan
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

It's a Vostok Amphibia, model 090913M. The dial looks very much like the original Amphibias from the 70's. Acrylic crystal, automatic 2415 movement, 22mm lugs. Very nice model.

I have fitted mine with a stainless steel bezel by mr David Murphy, and the bezel insert is a Seiko lookalike.

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:09 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Yes, I like the different rendering from my Biotar 75/1.5 which can have swirly bokeh and strongly drawn bokeh circles.

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:45 PM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · East-bloc Lenses (Russian, Ukranian, ...)

Hawkan wrote:
It's a Vostok Amphibia, model 090913M. The dial looks very much like the original Amphibias from the 70's. Acrylic crystal, automatic 2415 movement, 22mm lugs. Very nice model.

I have fitted mine with a stainless steel bezel by mr David Murphy, and the bezel insert is a Seiko lookalike.

Nice!

I got a Vostok Amphibia with cushion case, but it won't run anymore :/ I can't for the life of me understand why.

Jan 13, 2014 at 02:25 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password