New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

Ryder
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

Hi:
I am dealing with a problem using flashes (mostly SB-800s.)

I use a SU-800 to fire SB-800s a lot. I set the SB-800 to "remote." The speed light never goes into standby and it fires every time. With a SU-800 on my camera(D800,) the speedlight does not even allow me to access the standby icon in the menu.

I bought some Cactus remotes because the SU800 just didn't have the reach I needed once in a while. I set the SB800 to "off" in the speedlight's menu (under the wireless icon.) Now the SB800 shows and allows me to set the standby mode in its menu system. The problem I have is that when the flash goes into standby it won't awaken. I have to actually take a shot in order to bring the flash back to active. Page 21 of the SB800 manual says the speed light should come out of standby if "the shutter release button is lightly pressed." This isn't happening. I have to fire the camera(without the flashes firing) in order to bring the speed light out of standby. This wastes a shot every time and this is a pita when I am trying to get things done.

What do I need to change??

Thanks,
Craig

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Brendan Phelan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

You could disable the standby function?

Or lengthen it to the max. You can do 40, 80, 160, 300 seconds or off. Page 67-69 in the manual.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:29 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

Are you using fresh batteries? One of my SB-800s used to do that in remote mode under CLS control even with standbys to off. I found a fresh set of batteries stopped it going to sleep. Just my £0.02.....

Jan 12, 2014 at 07:10 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

If you're using the PC terminal on your flash, there is no way for the camera to communicate to the flash (through the transceivers) that the shutter is half-pressed.

Your only solution would be to do as Brendan said, (or if your transmitter has a "test" button, you could use that to wake the flashes prior to your shot.

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

UG! I wish you could shut the stadby on the D800 off. I set it to max ... it's been a while since I used it now that I have my SB900 ... trying to remember how I get it back up without firing it..

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Q for flash SB-800 gurus

The transmitter does have a button and it gets it out of standby!!!!!

Thanks X369! Makes my life easier.

Cheers,
Craig

Jan 13, 2014 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.