New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

CalBoy87
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Hi all. I got "Z" virus and I am considering getting some Zeiss lenses to use on 5M3. I like ZF version better, as:
1) I can use it both on Canon and Nikon
2) I can use aperture ring, which ZE version doesn't have
My question is: using ZF with adapter, is there any significant issue with IQ?
As I am using super matte focusing screen and ML, focusing with them is no problem so far.
Thank you for any advice.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:17 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Why would you like to use an aperture ring when shooting with a Canon body?
It will be ok to use the ZF on your Canon body. The ZE will of course work even better. All the electronics, aperture, and exif data and so on will work as a Canon lens with the ZE.
If you are lucky with the adapter there will be similar IQ as the ZE. But it can also be a little bit less good than the ZE. Depending on what adapter you buy and how lucky you are with it.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:35 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
It will be ok to use the ZF on your Canon body. The ZE will of course work even better. All the electronics, aperture, and exif data and so on will work as a Canon lens with the ZE.
If you are lucky with the adapter there will be similar IQ as the ZE. But it can also be a little bit less good than the ZE. Depending on what adapter you buy and how lucky you are with it.

+ 1

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:30 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

I've used ZF lenses with adapter on Canon, I like the manual aperture ring and it's very useful when shooting video. Also when having few ZF primes you are not restricted to any camera manufacturer. It is also possible to convert the ZF lenses with "Cine-Mod" with stepless aperture. Just make sure the Ai-EF adapter is high quality and not the cheapo one.

Jan 11, 2014 at 07:37 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Lasse Eriksson wrote:

AFAIK, only thing I will loose is the EXIF data. I don't know about changing aperture, is Zeiss ZF able to change aperture electronically on Nikons, or you have to do it manually? If electronically, is there adapter to make it possible on Canons?
I never used Nikons, so I have no idea. Reason I consider ZF is that I will be buying used one and ZE are pretty scarce here (Korea). Second reason is, I can use it on future Nikons and Canons. As much as I like Canon now, I may switch to Nikon, I can't put ZE lens on Nikon. Third, I like manual aperture ring fro video shooting.

Jan 11, 2014 at 07:56 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
I've used ZF lenses with adapter on Canon, I like the manual aperture ring and it's very useful when shooting video. Also when having few ZF primes you are not restricted to any camera manufacturer. It is also possible to convert the ZF lenses with "Cine-Mod" with stepless aperture. Just make sure the Ai-EF adapter is high quality and not the cheapo one.

Thanks for input. Now, can camera change electronically aperture, or you have to use the ring, on both Nikons and Canons with adapter? Since you have some experience, how do you like the Zeiss lenses on Canon? I only have 35/2 and now pondering 100MP vs 135 Sonnar. As I have both 100L and 135L I am leaning toward 100MP, as 135L is awesome lens, but looking for any opinion on it as well.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:00 AM
D_Sh
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

You have to use the ring on Canon. That is going to be the major downside going with ZF. You will have to focus wide open and then close aperture as required. If you are ok with such approach, you could just buy Contax/Zeiss and save some money. I am using Fotodiox Pro adapter with Contax/Zeiss and it is great.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:43 AM
D_Sh
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Sorry forgot to mention that Contax/Zeiss with adapter would only work on Canon and not on Nikon.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:46 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Fotodiox Pro adapters should be fine for most ZF lenses, but I'd use a Leitax mount kit for 21mm and wider, because they're more sensitive to adapter imperfections; especially small variations in thickness arount the circumference of the adapter, which can cause asymmetric sharpness (e.g. right side sharp, left side not)..

http://www.leitax.com/Nikon-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

D_Sh wrote:
You have to use the ring on Canon. That is going to be the major downside going with ZF. You will have to focus wide open and then close aperture as required. If you are ok with such approach, you could just buy Contax/Zeiss and save some money. I am using Fotodiox Pro adapter with Contax/Zeiss and it is great.

That's a huge disadvantage compared to the ZE version.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM
D_Sh
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

Totally agree, that is why I do have ZE21 and not ZF. I would go with ZF only if it was significantly cheaper (not true) or there is firm decision to switch the system (or to use both systems) in the future. Contax/Zeiss is a good option to get great glass at a reasonable price for which I am willing to sacrifice some usability. It works for me since 95% of a time I am shooting landscapes from tripod.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

I´ve got the 25/2.8 (no ZE available) and 100MP as ZF together with 21, 28, 35/2, 50MP and since Wednesday 135 as ZE. IMHO the metering is significantly more reliable with the ZE, especially when going past f/5.6, definitely over f/8. The aperture adjustment in ZE is more convenient. And for an old canonite the ZF focus turns the wrong way which confuses my personal AF severely if I often switch between ZF and ZE during a day. Furthermore I like focusing wide open without always having to turn the aperture ring bakc adn forht which adds to the confusion. Is that darn aperture ring also turning the wrong way? Haven´t even checked as it would no help.

As a result my first plan, after getting the Z-bug from the 21ZE, was to get the all manual and thus eternal ZF´s. But not anymore. The ZE decision with the 135 was a nobrainer. ZF´s are always available if you want to switch. And now when one can get the "Nikon" 36Mp sensor without the Nikon body, in a small package, well...

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:44 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

OK, so you are all saying that if I get ZF I won't be able to focus it then the lens is stopped down? Pardon my ignorance, but why? I used OM Zuiko on 5D before and AFAIR I could turn the aperture ring to F 5.6/8 and than focus. Is ZF somehow different?

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

CalBoy87 wrote:
OK, so you are all saying that if I get ZF I won't be able to focus it then the lens is stopped down? Pardon my ignorance, but why? I used OM Zuiko on 5D before and AFAIR I could turn the aperture ring to F 5.6/8 and than focus. Is ZF somehow different?

Yes, you can focus at any aperture with the lens manually stopped down. The point is for precise focusing, most people do it wide open, then manually stop down to the shooting aperture.

The two main drawbacks using the ZF on Canon are loss of electronics/exif and the need to use manual aperture, making it the same as any fully Alt lens with no electronic connection to the body (Nikon AIS, Contax/Zeiss, Leica R, etc).

If you are intent on maintaining two systems, Nikon and Canon, ZF is the "best" way, next best is Nikon AIS. As you know, you can't go the other way.

Jim -- wouldn't the Leitax have to screw into the mount, making interchanging onto Nikon body impossible without unscrewing the Leitax? Or do they have have simple adapter like Fotodiox?

Jan 11, 2014 at 07:09 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss ZF lenses on Canon

OK, now I got it. I can focus, but it may be difficult to get good focus with lens stopped down. Than, I have to change aperture by ring, not by electronics. Third, I will loose EXIF info. So, unless I am doing video, or planning to go "black" not much sense in getting ZF.
Thank you all for your valuable input, I guess unless I find a great deal on ZF, I will stick with ZE for now.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.