Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

jrand

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

I bought a 20D here a few years back to get into the digital SLR world. It's taken some great shots that I've had published in magazines & books. I just recently started having a problem with the battery meter not reading correctly. I thought it was my charger and I bought a new charger to charge my one Canon and 2 Sterling-Tec batteries. The new charger showed that the batteries were full. SOMETIMES when I put a battery in the camera, it shows that the battery is dead, or almost dead. The AF quickly discharges the last bar and the camera doesn't work then. If I take the battery out and install it several times, sometimes it will eventually show a full charge. I did clean off the contacts inside the camera as well as on the batteries and that didn't help. I'd like to let my son use this camera as I bought a new 70D to replace the 20D. I just don't know if the battery problem is worth sending out for repair, or something dirt simple that I could fix.

Thanks for any help on this subject.

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

Have you tried a new battery ? I had a couple go off at the same time when I had my 40D .
Mine would show full charge in a couple of minutes on the charger but would show almost dead in the camera . A couple of shots or AF attempts and they were dead .
Bought a couple of new 3rd party batts and all was good again

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:31 PM
jrand

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

I have not tried a new battery. All 3 that have act the exact same way.

Jan 10, 2014 at 05:23 PM
Chainshot
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

I still have and use my 20d. I carried it to a car race and shot off/on for about 10 hrs. The battery is a 3rd. party and was fully charged. If you can shoot, view the menu, and back screen...I say the batteries are good. If it is happening with 3 different batteries...I think you have eliminated them and it points to a problem with the body. You can probably get another used 20d for a touch over $100 these days. They have about bottomed out on value...so, unless it is sentimental...not worth the shipping and repair bill. Just my opinion. If you want to send me a fully charged battery and return postage. I'll pop it or more into mine and see how they work.

Jan 10, 2014 at 05:53 PM
jrand

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

Thanks for the offer Chainshot.
One think I haven't done is change the little CR2016 3Volt battery. Not sure if that would help resolve the problem.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 20D battery indicator malfunction?

As I recall, the 511 Sterlingtrek clones I used in my 20D and 40D typically had a useable life of one to two years. After that, they still sorta worked but behaved similar as the OP described. I bought a new battery and all was well again.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.