Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · What has happend to Canon Service?

dmccombs
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What has happend to Canon Service?

I haven't had to send a camera into Canon service for a while but I had to send a camera in recently for a cleaning issue and what a debacle that has been so far. After a decade of shooting Canon digital cameras, I think I am going to switch to Nikon.

I have black flecks that are dropping onto the sensor. It looks like dust, but its bigger. I cleaned the sensor, and once you put he lens on, and point the camera at the sky to take a test picture, there are black speck again in different places.

I took the camera into a local repair facility, and they had the same issue. They even checked the sensor with a microscope to ensure it was clean. After a test shot, it was dirty again.

I wrote this all up and sent it to Canon. They sent me an estimate for a basic cleaning. So I called in and spoke to a Service guy and told him the issue and asked that they test the camera before sending it back to me, and let me know if they need to do more work to fix my issue.

I am ok with paying them to do more work, IF that is what is required. I was told a tech could not call me. I was told they would do whatever service I paid for, and send back the camera.

HOW DO WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE UNTIL THEY LOOK AT IT?

I asked to speak with a manager. I was told that managers do not speak to customers.

The guy told me to pick which service I wanted done, and pay for it. Again, who knows what needs to be done at this point?

It seems logical to me that they would charge me for a basic clean, then test the unit. IF they decide the camera needs more extensive work, then let me know so I can pay before they do the work. I was told this was not possible.

It seems that I need to either pay for the basic service and maybe get my camera back in the same state it is in, or may for some mega-service that covers all possibilities.

Its bad enough my 1DSmk3 has to go in for service. Its really bad that I have to either significantly overpay, or run the chance .that the camera comes back with the same issue.

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:54 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Aren't services a fixed price, it's when you request a repair that you then get an estimate back?

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:58 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What has happend to Canon Service?

If you're a CPS member, then a routine clean would be the starting point.

And they do send estimates, once they peek inside.

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:01 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What has happend to Canon Service?

I can certainly understand your frustration, but if you think switching to Nikon is an answer to service-related issues, well, then I will just say that the grass definitely is not greener on the dark side

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:14 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What has happend to Canon Service?

jj_glos wrote:
Aren't services a fixed price, it's when you request a repair that you then get an estimate back?

I would be fine with this approach. The guy said if I didn't want the basic cleaning, I would have to pay for a full cleaning. Neither way guaranteed that they would test my camera before sending it back.

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:17 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What has happend to Canon Service?

mitesh wrote:
I can certainly understand your frustration, but if you think switching to Nikon is an answer to service-related issues, well, then I will just say that the grass definitely is not greener on the dark side

You may be right. It is something I would have to research.

But after spending $7000 on the camera new, I expect more than conveyer-belt service where they wouldn't test the camera before sending it back.

If that's the best Canon will do, I will buy from another manufacturer or take up another endeavor. There are lots of things to do in life, but giving a company more money for shoddy support is not on my todo list.

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What has happend to Canon Service?

dmccombs wrote:
After a decade of shooting Canon digital cameras, I think I am going to switch to Nikon.

I

Be careful , reading many stories over on the Nikon board (and other forums) the grass is no greener on their side either . In fact it could be said to be a worse state .

Fo what its worth if you keep getting 'black flecks' on the sensor as soon as you use the camera again then that sounds like something is disintergrating in the camera . Could it be some form of foam or rubber that's breaking up I wonder ?

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:26 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What has happend to Canon Service?

You should check out the Nikon board and hear some of the horror stories about they're customer service before you decide to make that jump.

I've had more positive experiences than bad with Canon.

Bill

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Sorry for your distress, but your situation brings up a few questions.

Which Canon Service Center did you take it into? I see you are in NM, there are US centers on the East Coast and one in Southern California. So that is confusing to me.

Are you CPS?

I'm surprised, because a non-CPS basic cleaning costs around $50, no big deal. If you get it back and it's not clean, you can send it back and see what develops.

If you are CPS, you have no-charge clean and check certificates -- why not use them?

It could be more serious of a repair. It is possible that you bought the camera some time ago and haven't done any regular service. Things fail over time. Could it be shutter lube? How did it first come to your attention?

I'm just not used to having this sort of service from any of the three Canon Service Centers. Even rumors of Jamestown aren't this slack. Or is this a local walk-in "Canon Authorized" shop?

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:53 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Zorro,

Its at Canon in Newport VA.

It is a big deal to me if they clean it and return it without testing. You are looking at the cost, and I am looking at the extended downtime.

I'm glad you have better luck with Canon Service. I had good luck in the past too

Jan 10, 2014 at 05:53 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Update:

I ended up calling back into Canon and got hold of a different service rep. This person was very helpful. She said they would look at the camera and send me an estimate with what it will really take to fix and test my camera. This person took the time to understand the issue, and realized that they need to check the camera after the cleaning, to ensure black flecks weren't falling on the sensor AFTER cleaning.

It looks like the first rep I spoke to was lazy, ignorant, didn't care, or whatever. I haven't gotten the updated invoice yet, but I think Canon is now on the right track to fixing my issue.

Jan 10, 2014 at 05:58 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Not defending Canon service particularly, none of them are as good as I wish they were.

But until you've experienced other brands service, don't make assumptions it's better. It most definitely is not. At least Canon appears to know where your camera is.

Jan 10, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What has happend to Canon Service?

I'm in a similar pickle at the moment. Click on my thread if you care to ...

Jan 10, 2014 at 06:43 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What has happend to Canon Service?

dmccombs wrote:
Zorro,

Its at Canon in Newport VA.

It is a big deal to me if they clean it and return it without testing. You are looking at the cost, and I am looking at the extended downtime.

I'm glad you have better luck with Canon Service. I had good luck in the past too

Sorry for your hassle and inconvenience. I'm glad it seems to be going better now.

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Sounds like you just got a bad customer service rep. Happened to once with B&H. The guy I talked to was useless and didn't answer my questions at all and essentially blew me. I called back a few hours later and got someone who actually took the time to listen to me.

Some people just aren't very good at their jobs.

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
Some people just aren't very good at their jobs.

True. And sometimes, frustratingly, there seems to be no protocol for contacting management. It's the manager's show and if things are not being run well...

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:14 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Well, I hadn't heard anything from Canon since they promised me a real estimate, so I called to day for an update. Apparently, the person I spoke to about having Canon provide me a real estimate, didn't update their system. When I called today, they said they were waiting for me to pay for the basic cleaning fee.

This isn't what was agreed to with on the previous call, and doesn't get my camera fixed properly. Another 6 days lost due to incompetence...

The person I talked to today, said he would look into things and call me back later today. I feel like I am dealing with the Department of Motor Vehicle. WTF

We'll see if the guy really calls back, and if the update shows any progress. AS it stands, nothing was done for the last 6 days.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Canon called back. They still didn't look at the camera, but they made me a new invoice based upon my description of what's wrong. I paid the new invoice, and they supposedly are moving ahead.

Obviously paying for a repair BEFORE they know the problem is poor. I can't believe Canon thinks is a good process for them or their customers.

We'll see how this turns out.

Jan 16, 2014 at 04:29 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What has happend to Canon Service?

WilliamFinley wrote:
You should check out the Nikon board and hear some of the horror stories about they're customer service before you decide to make that jump.

I've had more positive experiences than bad with Canon.

Bill

I switched to Canon because of terrible CS at Nikon. Nobody is perfect but Canon is a couple notches up.

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:01 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What has happend to Canon Service?

Did you get a name for the first person you talked too the first time? I'm reasonably sure Canon would not be happy with the way your first call was answered, and would like to know who you talked too.

I have found that asking for a name, and asking them to repeat it if you did not catch the name goes a long way towards insuring good service. I have a small spiral bound notebook that I use to log calls like this. When I call I let the person I'm talking to know I'm writing down info about the call. That usually is enough to prevent bulls**t, and if it doesn't, I have a name to report when the call gets escalated ~ Ron

Jan 18, 2014 at 09:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.