New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

(This may not be the appropriate forum for this topic so please let me know if you have a recommendation for a better forum or website for this topic.)

A few months ago I applied to some gallery calls for artists. I was hoping to be able to exhibit some of my work and to get feedback and make contacts in the local art community. I was fortunate to pass jury selection for some galleries and now I face some practical considerations. I need to frame and ship my prints. Cost is a big consideration. I feel fortunate to have been selected to exhibit but I certainly do not expect to sell any prints to offset costs. I think I have settled on frames. I ordered four simple black satin Nielsen frames from Framingsupplies.com. That order should arrive today and if everything is OK I will probably place my next order. For this first order I ordered 16x22 frames and will print 12x18 and do a simple white mat. I am limited to 24" or this gallery. For additional exhibits, I plan to use 22x28 frames for 16x24 prints. I am not planning on glass or plexi. I like the look with no glazing plus the glazing would double my costs. I have no idea what to do with shipping. I found special containers for shipping artwork but those are expensive and overkill for prints that only cost me about $5 each. At this point I was thinking about bubble wrap and picture frame/mirror moving boxes.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions for framing and especially for shipping. BTW, I will need to ship 3-4 framed prints for each gallery.

Thanks, Jim

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

I repack into the boxes that FrameDestination used to ship the frames to me. The only thing I don't reuse is the shrink wrap, but new rolls of that. And I use ULine corrugated cardboard corner protectors.

I don't use metal frames. I like the way they look, but hate the spring clip rear mounting system they all use - it will warp the mat unless you are careful, and they take much longer to mount. I use their thinnest profile wooden frame

I am guessing that the metal frames arrive unassembled? So repacking wouldn't work. The ability to repack is a big thing for me, I just don't have the storage space for wholesale loads of boxes in different sizes.

Brian A

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

I agree on reusing the frame box, all my frame boxes would be great for shipping. But when I order multiple frames (not often), they come packed (nested) into one box and might be difficult to use for finished images.

I also agree on wood versus metal. The metal frames can be had at local stores like Hobby Lobby for example and would not require shipping.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

ben egbert wrote:
I agree on reusing the frame box, all my frame boxes would be great for shipping. But when I order multiple frames (not often), they come packed (nested) into one box and might be difficult to use for finished images.

If they are the same size, you can pack them in pairs, print side facing in. As long as they aren't too different in size, you can pack them in facing pairs with a sheet of board between them (then stretch wrapped). And if wall hanging hardware isn't mounted (screws, D-rings, wire, and bumpers), then you can pack multiple pairs with board and bubble wrap between them.

Even if he hanging hardware is installed, cardboard corner protectors often give you enough space.

Brian A

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

Unfortunately, I won't have any boxes to reuse. I ordered the Nielsen aluminum frames but they come unassembled.

Maybe next order I will try wooden frames. I can get simple narrow frames assembled for about the cost of the aluminum. I was afraid the narrow wood frames would be too flimsy for a 22x28 size. Any specific recommendations for frames that would work? I do want gallery style photography framing; i.e., narrow and black frames. Once I get my garage ready, I will have shop space and might consider making frames.

I was also hoping to pack 3 or 4 in the same box. The weight will be light especially without plexi or glass. Thanks for all the suggestions. At this point I suppose I just need to find suitable boxes, corner protectors and bubble wrap.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

ben egbert wrote:

I also agree on wood versus metal. The metal frames can be had at local stores like Hobby Lobby for example and would not require shipping.

Actually I checked locally to see if I could avoid delays and shipping costs. Michaels and AC Moore stock some simple aluminum frames. I am not sure if they are Nielsen or an off brand. In any case, they charge more than twice the cost of the mail order places. In addition wire is 5 or 10 times the cost. They did not have any spring clips in stock. I could not find the screw on d ring hangers. I would just rather not deal with a store that plays games with pricing. Michaels and AC Moore mark up everything more than double and then have 50% sales. I really do not like to play those games. I want to go buy when I am ready and not watch for sales and coupons.

Jan 10, 2014 at 01:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

Camperjim wrote:
Actually I checked locally to see if I could avoid delays and shipping costs. Michaels and AC Moore stock some simple aluminum frames. I am not sure if they are Nielsen or an off brand. In any case, they charge more than twice the cost of the mail order places. In addition wire is 5 or 10 times the cost. They did not have any spring clips in stock. I could not find the screw on d ring hangers. I would just rather not deal with a store that plays games with pricing. Michaels and AC Moore mark up everything
...Show more

I hear you, I only did metal once and they had everything I needed, but I never liked the frame for personal use. I have packed framed images for a move from Washington to Utah and used U-haul boxes. Not sure its cost effective however.

Jan 10, 2014 at 01:40 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

Camperjim wrote:
I can get simple narrow frames assembled for about the cost of the aluminum. I was afraid the narrow wood frames would be too flimsy for a 22x28 size. Any specific recommendations for frames that would work? I do want gallery style photography framing; i.e., narrow and black frames.

I have mostly used 851 and sometimes 502. I have done 851 at 25 x 34" with with acrylic and 20 x 30 with out glazing and mat. Without glazing they are incredibly light.

They do corner samples of the narrow black frames for about $14 a set.
http://www.framedestination.com/moulding_wood/black_wood_picture_frame_samples_small/item/mdwoodsssscsb1/

Brian A

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

Brian, thanks. I am surprised that light wood frame will handle sizes in the 20x30 range. Prices look good. I just received my 16x22 frames and supplies, but I will think about this for my 22x28 frames. I have time since I don't need the larger frames until the end of February.

Now that I have received my frames, packing and shipping does not seem like a big deal. The 16x22 size is pretty manageable and there is not much weight. I should have no problem stacking with a foam core or other spacer and sending 3-4 in the same box.

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:57 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

good luck and congratulations
I mostly use black wood frames (with kit) from frame destination. The wood frames I have used are plenty sturdy, and I typically frame 12x18x's with a 2-3 inch mat around, similar to your plan. I have additional 16x20 matted, framed black wood with finish size approx 22x26 and no problems with the sturdiness. I tend to use frames that are an inch + wide but many to choose from.

Scott

Jan 10, 2014 at 05:12 PM
billycamryn

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

I normally use EZ Art Shipping Boxes for transporting valuable artworks safely from JerrysArtarama's. I think using the boxes in which you got the frame and using bubble wrap is the only option.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:13 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

the other consideration would be using a service that prints, mats, frames and ships your items
not sure how the pricing works out compared to what you are doing, and you dont get to see the prints first, unless you order separate prints sent to you

Scott

Apr 17, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Framing and Shipping for Gallery Exhibitions

For shipping - NO Glass. It is not worth it as breakage is too likely unless you pay for hand delivery with a bonded carrier. Even then accidents do happen during shipping or once at the gallery.

For shipping try this low cost and bombproof solution.

The Owens Corning FOAMULAR stiff insulation sheeting works well. Very lightweight and almost impossible to drive a nail through without trying hard.

Cut a few pieces oversize. You will stack them with the frame in the middle. The middle sheet or two - cut out a hole for the frame to fit in. Then sandwich top and bottom full pieces over it. Edge tape the whole package and you have a lightweight frame carrier that will float. The blue or pink foamular will get attention and is hard to miss. Easy to carry and very easy to re-pack for shipping back to you. The light weight means lower shipping cost.

I ship rifles and framed prints this way. Even make them to fit ceramic and glass pieces. The shock absorbing is great.

Try it and see if it works for you. May not look elegant but it works like a charm. If you want to get fancy you can make a nice case for the insulation pieces to fit into.

Once cut the pieces last for a long time.

Apr 22, 2014 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.