New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D3s or D4

asroberts1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s or D4

Hi all, I am upgrading my camera and am in a bit of a dilemma. I was all set and ready to purchase a new D4 when they suddenly went on backorder and then D4s is announced. So now the store where I have my store credit is offering me a used D3s with 30K clicks for $3400, or a floor model D4 with 1500 clicks for $5400 but comes with warranty. I really didn't want to buy used, but now I feel like if I am going to buy used, maybe I should just get the older D3s which I know is a beast and I will love, save myself some money so in the near future I can invest in some glass and maybe down the road get the D4s once it's released. What would you do? I am nervous about buying a floor model for some reason, I really just wanted new, but waiting for the D4s which might be mmore than 6K putting it WAY out of my budget is not an option. Thoughts?

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:11 AM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s or D4

For $2K difference, I'd pick the D3s. There's not that much difference in the cameras.

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s or D4

asroberts1 wrote:
Hi all, I am upgrading my camera and am in a bit of a dilemma. I was all set and ready to purchase a new D4 when they suddenly went on backorder and then D4s is announced....What would you do? I am nervous about buying a floor model for some reason, I really just wanted new, but waiting for the D4s which might be mmore than 6K putting it WAY out of my budget is not an option. Thoughts?

It all depends on how much your business needs the upgrade, and how much more income you will earn from the upgrade, doesn't it? It's a significant amount of money tied up and it depreciates fast. The question to ask is if you will earn enough $$ from the new camera to justify it.

Kent in SD

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:24 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s or D4

Buy both of them, it's always good to have a back up.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:25 AM
asroberts1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s or D4

MRomine wrote:
Buy both of them, it's always good to have a back up.

I wish I could!

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:26 AM
asroberts1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s or D4

Two23 wrote:
It all depends on how much your business needs the upgrade, and how much more income you will earn from the upgrade, doesn't it? It's a significant amount of money tied up and it depreciates fast. The question to ask is if you will earn enough $$ from the new camera to justify it.

Kent in SD

It's not a matter of IF it's a matter of WHICH. Which do you think is the better value?

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s or D4

there is more then meets the eye in differences. I went from the D3 to D4 and skipped the s as an interim build that it was. if you are will to put out $5400 stand by and see what the D4s brings to the table in price. it will be in the $6K close range and then you get the real bright and shiny.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s or D4

My suggestion- wait until the D4s is officially released and see what happens to the price of a new D4. At that time, you can also buy a slightly used D4 since there will be people who will dump their D4 to get the latest bodies.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:34 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s or D4

Not a fan of that used and demo price. You can get a clean second hand D4 for under $5K which is what I would do. How much is the store credit for?

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:38 AM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s or D4

I guess I would ask what type of photography you do? Is there some capability offered by the D4 that you would not be able to accomplish the task with the D3s? I don't own either one, but from all I've read and heard, the difference between the two is not that great. 30,000 clicks on a D3s still leaves a LOT of life left in that camera. If it looks like it has been taken care of, and functions properly I would be hard pressed to justify an additional $2000 for the difference the D4 offers.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:39 AM
asroberts1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s or D4

VinnieJ wrote:
Not a fan of that used and demo price. You can get a clean second hand D4 for under $5K which is what I would do. How much is the store credit for?

$4K, but I can get $2K back refunded and have a $2K store credit

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:47 AM
asroberts1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3s or D4

frdjohns wrote:
I guess I would ask what type of photography you do? Is there some capability offered by the D4 that you would not be able to accomplish the task with the D3s? I don't own either one, but from all I've read and heard, the difference between the two is not that great. 30,000 clicks on a D3s still leaves a LOT of life left in that camera. If it looks like it has been taken care of, and functions properly I would be hard pressed to justify an additional $2000 for the difference the D4 offers.

No I definitely do not need the D4 for the few slight advantages it has over the D3s (arguable advantages I will add). But when the D4 was available new I was comparing apples to oranges, now that it's not available new I feel like I am comparing apples to apples so I am definitely leaning towards D3s.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3s or D4

yep, your going to help a D3s owner buy their D4s

Edited on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3s or D4

asroberts1 wrote:
$4K, but I can get $2K back refunded and have a $2K store credit

That's pretty significant. As long as there is no expiration it might be worth waiting for the release of the D4s to see how much it gets released for.....or try to get him to knock $500 off of the D4 price.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM
heng8866

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3s or D4

The price for D3 and D3X all dropped dramatically while D3S still remains relatively high.
Why?
Compared with D3S, the upgrades on D4 are not big enough. Though higher than D3 and D3X, D3S is still a lot cheaper than D4 but keeps the most of the powerful features of D4.
D4S will be another interesting pick

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3s or D4

The price of both used D3s' and D4's should drop when the D4s is released, though it's impossible to say how much -- prices won't likely settle down for at least 6 months.

If you think the D4 might be worth the extra $$$ over the used D3s, then I'd wait for the D4s and buy new -- I don't think it's going to be more than $6k, and it will open up the performance gap between the D3s even wider. Anyway, at least then you'll have the latest and greatest action Nikon camera for at least two years.

BTW I bought a brand new D4 a few months ago for $5500 so $5400 for a demo is too much IMO.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3s or D4

I have the D3s and am happy with it. I wouldn't go to the D4 unless the difference in price was more like a $1000. I also think $5400 is high for a demo with 1500 actuations.
A couple months ago I had a chance to buy a D4 with 1800 actuations for $4800 and passed it up knowing I would have to put at least $1500. towards it after selling the D3s.
I guess I just feel the D3s does everything I need, and my D800e is my other camera if I need more resolution.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3s or D4

I had a D3x stolen from my trunk last Christmas, the replacement value when I priced it out (Jan. 2013) was over 7K (No, I'm not kidding). In just the 2 or 3 months after, the price plummeted to less than that of a low count D3s, or very comparable. Either is in the $3,300-3,500.00 range now.

So at $5,400.00 for a used D4, with the D4s just rolling out? I dunno... Seems a little high given the 'drop factor' that's inevitably going to take place

I have always stated in many threads that thus far.. with the exception of the D800E(but not the same camera/usages by comparison) . The D3s holds 3 candles next to a D4, given it's slight improvements vs. some of it's appalling negative points (Battery, Memory, less than stellar stats vs. D3s). So I'm all for this D4 conundrum and the newest 4s model coming out. This put more low count D3s models out there to snap up at ridiculous low prices.

They always say "You can't take it with you".

I'm taking my D3s with me..

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D3s or D4

Always curious, did the D4 get a nice dynamic range boost in line with the D800? If not, the D4 doesn't offer much over the D3S IMO

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D3s or D4

The extra 4mp is nice. The lighted buttons are nice. I'm sure the video has been markedly improved, I never tried it. Most seem to like the ergonomics a bit better even while they're agreeing that the D3s is one of the greatest cameras ever.

(D4 vs D3s)

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.