Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · If you upgraded from the AFS 80-200 f2.8...

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you upgraded from the AFS 80-200 f2.8...

...to the latest 70-200 VR II, did you see an improvement in AF acquisition, accuracy and tracking?

This is not about me seeking "permission" and justification to upgrade. I'm not mad at my money and looking to throw it away It's gotta be a settings issue, or...technique (hey, I'm not proud).

I use a D3s and AFS 80-200 for indoor swim, and...sigh...I really don't think I have focus acquisition as often as I should.

1) Splashing water can wreak havoc, I know. I'm using the center AF sensor only and I know this requires rock steady tracking and keeping the sensor on the swimmer's face. An alternative might be 9-point but IMHO the AF might lock on the splashing water around the swimmer's face.

2) Focus tracking lock-on is set to short. Perhaps turn this off completely?

3) My SS is 1/800.

4) I don't think it's about filling the frame. The image below is a crop of 2516 pixels on the long edge, downsized for FM viewing, of course.

Thanks for reading.

Edited on Jan 11, 2014 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2014 at 08:03 AM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you upgraded from the AFS 80-200 f2.8...

can't help on the comparison, but I used my 70-200 allot before opting for the lighter smaller F4 version, but I'm not sure Nikon has ever made a better sports/action lens than the 70-200 2.8 VRII

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.