New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help with flash setting 7D

godfreyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with flash setting 7D

I have had the 430 EX external flash for my 7D but really haven't used it for years. Would like to use it this weekend to take some pics and would like some advice on the use of it. I heard from someone a while back that to use it on the 7D for example, I should have the 7D set to one shot. I don't know if this is true or not. Also, do I have to set any C.Fn functions, any particular ISO, is it preferable to shoot in the program mode, aperture priority?, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:47 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with flash setting 7D

First question I have is why would you "like to use it"? A flash like all the other tools are for a purpose. What purpose are you going for in your attempt to use flash? Some folks *need* flash to help the exposure. Others want flash for creative purposes. Is the question posted so you can experiment with flash? If that is the case please be sure to read my last paragraph.

Secondly, your questions are extremely general in nature and the opinions you will receive are users preferences (Program, Aperture, etc). Though I will say *I* mostly use my 7D (or any camera for that matter) in manual mode with or without flash. As for the flash *I* use it/them in TTL and Manual mode depending on the situations. Again, your questions are general.

Regarding the one shot stuff you heard....why? Maybe someone can enlighten me One shot should not have anything to do with the flash unless that person is machine gunning the camera and has the flash set at full power. That does nothing but runs down batteries and captures mostly crappy images. Again, if there is some magic to that theory I'd like to know it too

Bottom line, from reading your questions it seems that you need more than what can be answered here. A good book on how to use to use your 7D (specifically the section on flash), AND a book on flash/exposure.

Place the flash on the camera, set your flash to ETTL (is that the only option?), set the camera to [P] mode and give it a try. Next change the camera to [M] and give it a try with various settings. See what you like and dislike in the results. Keep going at it.

Cordell

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:52 AM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with flash setting 7D

cordellwillis wrote:
First question I have is why would you "like to use it"? A flash like all the other tools are for a purpose. What purpose are you going for in your attempt to use flash? Some folks *need* flash to help the exposure. Others want flash for creative purposes. Is the question posted so you can experiment with flash? If that is the case please be sure to read my last paragraph.

Secondly, your questions are extremely general in nature and the opinions you will receive are users preferences (Program, Aperture, etc). Though I will say *I* mostly use my 7D
...Show more

Cordell, first of all, thanks for the response. I rarely use flash for the pics that I take. If and when I use flash, it has been the in camera flash. I shoot mostly wildlife and indoor basketball games (for a local College, no need for flash). This weekend, I will be taking pics of the graduating players and their parents (who plan to use the pics on some sort of a plaque to be presented on Senior night). I would like to use the flash to eliminate shadows and the like. BTW, I do this voluntary and am not a pro...just a great retirement hobby. The reason I asked the question is that the other day, I took some test shots using the 430EX, had it set to ETTL, ISO was set at 640. AV at 2.8, used the P mode and Tv at 1/80s. The first pic in each set I took was almost completely white, but you could barely make out the features. The subsequent shots did seem to turn out correctly. But this happened for each test that I took. Forgot to mention, but I did take the pics using the one-shot setting.

Jan 10, 2014 at 09:27 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with flash setting 7D

For your purpose I can't imagine one-shot making a difference at all. ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and flash setting is all that should matter.

Also, when you are in an environment in which the ambient light is not changing setting the flash to manual is (in my opinion) the very best setting. ETTL has it's place and to me is most useful when you have light in which you simply don't have time to make changes to your flash settings. ETTL can also be fooled by reflections: mirrors, metal objects reflecting light back to the camera/flash, even a glossy painted wall. Backlighting can be of issue too. This is where AV and TS on your camera can be set and your flash can automatically adjust the power to fill flash your subject.

As for your upcoming shoot you have to determine where your shadows are if you want to eliminate/reduce them. Are you talking about shadows on walls, under eyes due to overhead lighting, on each subject (with groups), etc.

I have to say that I am not bold enough to give you a set formula for the situation you will be shooting in. Other people on here have no problem giving specific numbers. I think it's rather difficult to do that without knowing the specifics of the environment.

Below are a couple of links that's been around for a while.

Both sites discuss ETTL, but has good info on manual flash to. Both explain when and when not to use whatever settings fit.

I know Chuck used to visit the boards every day....haven't seen any of his post in a while though.
Chuck's site

I have NK's book. A very good (and simple) read. A lot of the same info he has in his book is on his site.
NK Guy

Cordell

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with flash setting 7D

cordellwillis wrote:
For your purpose I can't imagine one-shot making a difference at all. ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and flash setting is all that should matter.

Also, when you are in an environment in which the ambient light is not changing setting the flash to manual is (in my opinion) the very best setting. ETTL has it's place and to me is most useful when you have light in which you simply don't have time to make changes to your flash settings. ETTL can also be fooled by reflections: mirrors, metal objects reflecting light back to the camera/flash, even a glossy painted wall.
...Show more

Cordell, checked out the references you cited and they are most helpful. Thanks so much for the great advice. BTW, I checked the setting on the 430EX for the shots I mentioned that were almost totally white and it was because the setting was "M" and not "ETTL". The shots that did come out alright were because the flash didn't recycle fast enough, so the flash didn't go off. Again, thanks for your help.

Jan 10, 2014 at 07:08 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with flash setting 7D

You're welcome

With flash set to manual you have all the control so you need to use those "+/-" accordingly. It's all based on what you see the flash doing. The +/- is your dimmer switch. Though of course the camera settings affect it all too.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:20 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.