Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

glassartist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

This is either a bug or I don't understand it. When I export a 6000 x 4000 image in LR 5.3 and set the image sizing to Long Edge 4800 and check Don't Enlarge, I get an image with dimensions of 4550 x 3033. If I uncheck the Don't enlarge box I get a 4800 x 3200 image.

I thought in previous versions, if you set the size to the long edge, as long as the short edge was large enough, it would be scaled proportionally. But that doesn't seem to be what it is doing. Has this changed?

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:03 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

Are you sure the original file is 6000 x 4000? The behavior you're seeing is exactly what you should see if the long edge is shorter than 4800 pixels.

Do also note that transforms will be taken into account by Lightroom—e.g. even if you started with 6000x4000 pixel image, if you've cropped in, Lightroom knows how many pixels you have left in both dimensions and you'll be constrained by either edge.

FWIW, I just tried this and can't replicate it in my copy of LR 5.3.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

Without analyzing your specific case in detail, I just want to mention that there were some bugs in the initial versions of LR v5, specifically related to re-sizing on export. If you're not on v5.3 yet, I recommend you update before worrying too much about this.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:33 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

I think you are right in that I simply wasn't paying enough attention to the cropped size of the lightroom file. Part of this is that I was used to working with smaller files previously and now I'm both cropping and downsizing. I think I just need to pay more attention.
Thanks,
Andrew

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:08 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Image Sizing bug?

Rise from your grave, thread!

Went to export a job yesterday, plugged in a short edge pixel dimension with "Don't Enlarge" enabled, and ran into exactly what you were seeing.

After playing around for quite a while, there seems to be an intermittent bug with Lightroom acknowledging the ppi/ppcm setting even when using pixel dimensions. If I lowered the ppi down to its minimum limit (1 ppi), I'd get the files at the size I wanted them. If I left it at my default 300, "Don't Enlarge" was kicking in and giving me incorrectly-sized files. PPI should have no bearing on an export using any of the pixel-based options—it's just useless metadata with no effect on the image—but it appears sometimes it is.

If you're seeing this with full-size (or full-enough-size) files, Andrew, or if anyone else is, I'd encourage you to submit a bug report to Adobe.

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.