Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Zion - The Subway

Brad Williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zion - The Subway

Zion - The Subway

Sorry I haven't been as active lately, hope to remedy that now! Back in November I went on a 9 Day trip to Valley of Fire, Zion, Bryce, White Pocket, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyonlands, and Arches. It was my first time and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! However I cam back to reality and was really busy at work and then the holidays hit and now its the second week in January and I am finally working on my photos!

Here are three from the subway. I am having a hard time settling on a comp...

Thanks for looking. C&C Welcome and Appreciated.
Brad

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:36 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zion - The Subway

Great shots, Brad.

We just did our first visit to Valley of Fire, and nearby Gold Butte. It was fantastic, especially finding petroglyph panels on long hikes. We liked the hot showers at VoF, but there were too many people (holiday crowd) for our taste.

I like #3 the best with the small waterfall visible and the leaf swirls most pronounced. On my MBP the the image reads a little hot in the highlights and slightly purple, but that could just be the non-calibrated monitor. Maybe someone else with a nice setup can comment on color cast.

Great work! Looking forward to seeing more of your work from the trip.

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:48 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zion - The Subway

like #3 of set. Think the best comp would be to pull back even further, if it was possible to.

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:58 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zion - The Subway

oops hit return button too soon

The slow shutter works great in this shot. Colors are nice too.

Good work!

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zion - The Subway

Great shots Brad. All 3 have something that make them interesting. I'm really curious in seeing what a drop in exposure would look like for all 3. I think it would really make that great light glow even more.

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:19 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zion - The Subway

Great set. I like No. 2 the most. No. 3 has a something got left out feel to me.

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zion - The Subway

Hey Brad,

I am sure you had fun on that trip, you visited a lot of cool places. #1 is my favorite of the three. But I will echo what Justin suggested about the exposure. The walls in some areas are reflecting the light really harshly. Did you use a polarizer? That would have helped knock down that glare too.

Jim

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zion - The Subway

Thanks lighthawk! I will take a look at the reds/purple

Thanks docsmiles17! I am not sure I could really pull back anymore, but I think I could have achieved the same goal by simply getting lower to the ground.

Thanks Justin! I will check that out.

Thanks AMaji! I think you are referring to the same thing that docsmiles17 was saying. Like I mentioned, I should have got down lower. Sometimes when I am using the tripod, I forget that it can get lower...

Thanks Jim! I did use a polarizer, it did great for removing the reflections off the top of the water. I do have some other shots with different exposures, I may need to blend in a little darker shot on the area with the blown out highlights.

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zion - The Subway

And by the way, I just looked... I am TWENTY TWO pages behind on the landscape forum! I have a lot of catching up to do!

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:52 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zion - The Subway

Brad Williams wrote:
And by the way, I just looked... I am TWENTY TWO pages behind on the landscape forum! I have a lot of catching up to do!

Ha ha.... well it doesn't take long to get behind does it? I am sure will you will enjoy the catching up as there have been some really cool shots posted in those 22 pages!

Jim

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:03 PM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zion - The Subway

Interesting how folks have different preferences. #3 is the best for me - like the fg.

Jan 11, 2014 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.