New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

'nuff said. Too bad not a good photographers monitor.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/08/dell-4k-display-699/

Jan 09, 2014 at 10:49 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Supposedly has the same screen performance as the Ultrasharp and Ultrasharp HD so it might be quite good. Will be interesting to see the specs.

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Nice starting price!

Sounds like Dell is maintaining a good understanding of what will fly in this economy and what won't.

Now hopefully in 6 months we'll see some sales on this model for $499 and I'll be able grab one (or two hehe).

And I keep hearing all this crap about color accuracy but having used a lot of monitors which don't classify I just have to say that this is mostly BS! Sure, maybe if you're working in a production company and need color matching for/with video or multi-talent composites, then I can see it. But even the 4K TV I was talking about - when you tweak it up nice (takes all of 30min.) there's not a pro on the planet who could walk into the room where someone was using one to do their PP, and notice ANY difference at all. These might be 75% of AdobeRGB but the complainers who would chase us away from using them are 99% bullshit. And we can probably up that to 99.99% just by considering that most studio photographers do their own printing and are competent enough to match up their monitors and printers as closely as possible and be aware of any differences. Of course we can peg this at a full 100% on the bullshit meter when we begin talking about hobbyists, forum posters, and mom&pop photographers - even those interested in and good enough to, enter & win contests and such.

Now of course the purists and anally retentive will have a feast of furry over such remarks but in the end they just don't matter. My work prints out the same on my $300 gamer LCD as it does on the $500 4K TV as it does on the $2.5k wide gamut NEC MultiSync PA301W. So what are they talking about…? Answer: Nothing much!

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:10 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Bifurcator wrote:
Nice starting price!

Sounds like Dell is maintaining a good understanding of what will fly in this economy and what won't.

Now hopefully in 6 months we'll see some sales on this model for $499 and I'll be able grab one (or two hehe).

And I keep hearing all this crap about color accuracy but having used a lot of monitors which don't classify I just have to say that this is mostly BS! Sure, maybe if you're working in a production company and need color matching for/with video or multi-talent composites, then I can see it. But even the 4K TV
...Show more

OK, but first keep in mind that it's not just sRGB and without fancy calibration abilities but it is also just 6bits per colors and it's a TN panel as well (which tend to have extremely severe vertical viewing angle issues and so on, although great response for gaming motion) and once you calibrate and profile it you are talking being left with less than 6bits per channel.

Also is it 72% of NTSC or 72% of sRGB (some low end displays these days are actually well below sRGB gamut even, almost all of the early tablets were and quite a few laptops and a few super cost cut monitors are). I'd guess it would be close to full sRGB, but it might pay to check, because if it was one of the sub-sRGB panels then you are really into dicey territory for photo work.

I don't think you are giving calibration differences and gamut differences quite enough.

As I've said for years I wondered why I simply couldn't seem to shoot certain subjects and ever make them look like in real life and then I got a wide gamut monitor and realized I had been shooting them generally just fine and it was simply that sRGB didn't contain the colors. For plenty of shots, sure not too much, if any difference at all, but try shooting flowers and the difference can be pretty huge. Wide gamut can bring out a lot of brilliant but saturated clouds streaks and glows in sunsets and sunrises that simply are not visible and just blend away using sRGB. Sometimes with really intense fall foliage there can be a pretty noticeable difference. Things like emeralds and certain other deeply saturated green minerals just don't look like real life in sRGB. Tropical waters tend to look a tiny bit faded out. If you shoot in intense golden hour sunlight you lose some of the golden wash in sRGB. If you shoot people wearing really intense clothing or cars with really intense colors, sRGB mutes them and blends differences in shade into one.

Maybe you barely ever shoot such things, although they do seem to be pretty well regarded photographic subjects, or maybe you don't care about the extra colors (and yeah sRGB is hardly unusable), but to laugh that stuff off and make fun of people using wide gamut, come on.

And there really can be easily noticeable differences between displays. In one case my old samsung monitor and old samsung hdtv make some of my sunset photos look so different you couldn't even believe and that was after best job at calibration (not the monitor had many controls to do much with) and profiling. The way the red primary was locked in was just totally different on the two and certain sunsets if processed to look reasonable on one screen would look nasty on the other and vice-versa.

And even in somewhat more subtle cases, plenty of screen have very poorly tracking saturation curves and primary luminance curves and even many patch profiles only make up for it so much and you'll look at the image on one display and then another and it looks like you clearly boosted saturation to a different degree for the saturation levels for some colors.

Yeah it's still usually not end of the world different, although it can be, but it can be different enough that you'd feel the need to have to re-tweak your images each time you switched displays. Usually not THAT big of a deal, but it is definitely there.

And for non-color managed programs, like lots of video programs, there can be very noticeable differences between HDTVS since some have very feeble calibration controls and tone response and so on can look considerably different.

Of course we can peg this at a full 100% on the bullshit meter when we begin talking about hobbyists, forum posters, and mom&pop photographers - even those interested in and good enough to, enter & win contests and such.

talk about BS meters
really so only a serious pro, making serious prints can notice the difference between sRGB and wide gamut?
it's 100% BS that they might truly like to see the extra colors on their screen?
really?
you don't have to care, but come on with calling it BS that anyone else cares

The funny thing is that some who laugh off monitors and even the need for calibration in some cases toss tens of thousands or more on other pieces of photographic equipment just to get an extra 5% performance, but then when it comes to monitors they not only go for the very lowest end they can find, they slog off on anyone who doesn't and say they've fallen prey to BS marketing.

Again, not everyone will care enough to get more than a reasonably decent monitor that is also only sRGB, but it's ridiculous to call it 100% BS and nonsense talk to say that a fancier monitor or wide gamut could anything to anyone but the most serious of pros.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

pretty awesome release though as it should really help push 4k out there and get UIs and OS support patched up better more quickly

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Bifurcator wrote:
Nice starting price!

And I keep hearing all this crap about color accuracy but having used a lot of monitors which don't classify I just have to say that this is mostly BS! Sure, maybe if you're working in a production company and need color matching for/with video or multi-talent composites, then I can see it. But even the 4K TV
...Show more
skibum5 wrote:
OK,

Thank you for agreeing. Discussion over…

…but first keep in mind that it's not just sRGB and without fancy calibration abilities but it is also just 6bits per colors and it's a TN panel as well (which tend to have extremely severe vertical viewing angle issues and so on, although great response for gaming motion) and once you calibrate and profile it you are talking being left with less than 6bits per channel.

Also is it 72% of NTSC or 72% of sRGB (some low end displays these days are actually well below sRGB gamut even, almost all of the early tablets were and quite a few laptops
...Show more

Oops, there's more…

Yeah this particular monitor may be TN and additionally this is 30htz ONLY no matter your computer's abilities. So while I agree this particular monitor is pretty sucky that doesn't change the general premiss and truth that pretty much every monitor released in the past 2 or 3 years is as I say; going to be just fine for photo editing! Including 30htz TN monitors with 75% sRGB.

I don't think you are giving calibration differences and gamut differences quite enough.

As I've said for years I wondered why I simply couldn't seem to shoot certain subjects and ever make them look like in real life and then I got a wide gamut monitor and realized I had been shooting them generally just fine and it was simply that sRGB didn't contain the colors. For plenty of shots, sure not too much, if any difference at all, but try shooting flowers and the difference can be pretty huge. Wide gamut can bring out a lot of brilliant but saturated clouds
...Show more

Yup, that's the anal I was talking about. All of those differences are addressed with PP and none of them carry to other devices. How many internet viewers have both a browser which correctly uses something like ProPhoto and also a wide gamut display? Maybe a one-hundredth of one percent? And do you think this will help in printing? A. no almost never!

Gamut maps are useful critters!

As you can see, even an 8 color Canon PRO9000 MK II printer with a good gamut can't cover the sRGB, aRGB and ProPhoto color spaces. Thus if a monitor displays a true sRGB color space the printer still can't reproduce all the colors accurately and then there is the issue of transmitted light from a monitor which will not match the reflected light of a print, just physicis. Also the different viewing lights; daylight, tungsten, fluorescent, xenon, etc. affect the prints colors.

Maybe you barely ever shoot such things,

Those are exactly the kinds of things I shoot…

…although they do seem to be pretty well regarded photographic subjects, or maybe you don't care about the extra colors (and yeah sRGB is hardly unusable), but to laugh that stuff off and make fun of people using wide gamut, come on.

Yup, they're too silly to take seriously… not! And that's not what I said. There are arenas where such is are actually needed. I doubt more than about 1% of the folks here are in that arena though they often convince themselves they are and that wide matters… Maybe if I took a poll 80% of people would say as you yourself do, that wide is very important and a highly color accurate monitor makes all the difference to them. But about 95% of those people would be totally fooling themselves, as it just doesn't!

And there really can be easily noticeable differences between displays. In one case my old samsung monitor and old samsung hdtv make some of my sunset photos look so different you couldn't even believe and that was after best job at calibration (not the monitor had many controls to do much with) and profiling. The way the red primary was locked in was just totally different on the two and certain sunsets if processed to look reasonable on one screen would look nasty on the other and vice-versa.

Your monitor wasn't setup correctly - this includes controlling your video card - not just the controls on the monitor itself. And when set right no, no one can tell a wide from a sRGB panel simply by looking - all other things being equal. Maybe if compared side-by-side or immediately one to the other. But even then it's a self contained difference with no barring on the general practice and process of photography. Colors to a large degree are subjective and tho so many have been mindfucked into believing they need wide displays it really is just a bunch of hooey (exceptions previously noted)!

And even in somewhat more subtle cases, plenty of screen have very poorly tracking saturation curves and primary luminance curves and even many patch profiles only make up for it so much and you'll look at the image on one display and then another and it looks like you clearly boosted saturation to a different degree for the saturation levels for some colors.

This is true of older monitors and some cheap-o LCD TVs. I haven't seen or heard of this being the case in the past three years and the topic here is concerned with the purchase of new computer monitors.

Yeah it's still usually not end of the world different, although it can be, but it can be different enough that you'd feel the need to have to re-tweak your images each time you switched displays. Usually not THAT big of a deal, but it is definitely there.

But that's true switching between any two different models even when both are wide gamut.

it's 100% BS that they might truly like to see the extra colors on their screen?
really?
you don't have to care, but come on with calling it BS that anyone else cares

I'm using the term bullshit subjectively not objectively and not personally. Just as some people claim it's needed I'm claiming that those claims in general, are indeed bullshit for the vast majority of photogs and even most of the elitists. Not the people making the claim, just the general claims themselves. I'm sure the mindfuck is quite deep and maybe even permanent with most folks who believe these things - but they aren't to blame for that IMO.

The funny thing is that some who laugh off monitors and even the need for calibration in some cases toss tens of thousands or more on other pieces of photographic equipment just to get an extra 5% performance, but then when it comes to monitors they not only go for the very lowest end they can find, they slog off on anyone who doesn't and say they've fallen prey to BS marketing.

I don't think I've ever seen an example of this - ever. Where are you reading that you see this? Most people who pay the premiums for what today is a very tiny advantage in better lenses, bodies, and gear also apply the same logic to their monitors. In fact this is probably the source of the very problem of which I speak. There really is an edge in higher end and more expensive acquisition and print gear. And the tendency to think this carries over to their monitor is pretty common. And within reason it does to some degree. The problem is that it's only "better" in a tiny tiny fraction of shots and that "better-ness" begins and ends with the monitor itself - it doesn't help the shot, and it doesn't help the print. The only thing it can actually help is color matching. Like where you absolutely have to match multiple sources of broadcast footage for compositing and stuff like that.

Again, not everyone will care enough to get more than a reasonably decent monitor that is also only sRGB, but it's ridiculous to call it 100% BS and nonsense talk to say that a fancier monitor or wide gamut could anything to anyone but the most serious of pros.

Please remember and please use the proper context in which I said "100%". "…when we begin talking about hobbyists, forum posters, and mom&pop photographers" Ring any bells?

---
skibum5 wrote:
pretty awesome release though as it should really help push 4k out there and get UIs and OS support patched up better more quickly

Probably still not the one people should be holding out for tho. No matter what your computer and GPU can do it will only go 30Htz. which is OK but not ideal. I think it's great that we now have 4 or 5 sub-$1k options in 4K but something that isn't TN and which will do 60Htz for folks with the equipment should be along shortly. Also I'm kinda wondering if 28" isn't a little small when talking about 4K. I sure wouldn't wanna go any smaller than that - that's for sure! I'm thinking 30 to 35" is probably about optimal. <shrug> For 1080 to 2k I think 23 to 28" is about right. Just me?

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 06:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:50 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Bifurcator wrote:
Yup, that's the anal I was talking about.

Yup because a deep, dark violet petunia turning into a light pink flower or dark, gray flower is just what you want!

All of those differences are addressed with PP and none of them carry to other devices.

You can't make colors that don't exist, exist, through PP. Sometimes you can shift colors around a relative way to mask it a bit, but only so far.

And why does the monitor not count?? 99.9% of images ONLY ever get seen on a monitor. And once we get into 4k-8k monitors, they become a much better viewing method. The new 4k monitors already show all the old 8MP and under DSLR images as crisply as any print (and with more colors and more dynamic range).

And...Show more

Eventually they will and for now? So what? Because 95% of people don't have something you can't make use of it yourself? 99.9999999% of people will never seen a single one of your printouts. But you don't complain about how stupid it is to own a printer do you?

And among photo people I'd say more than 1/100th of 1% have wide gamut now, even if a majority still...Show more

1. printing isn't everything
2. it actually can help with printing at times, which is more often than never

Gamut maps are useful critters!

As you can see, even an 8 color Canon PRO9000 MK II printer with a good gamut can't cover the sRGB, aRGB and ProPhoto color spaces. Thus if a monitor displays a true sRGB color space the printer still can't reproduce all the colors accurately and then there is the issue of transmitted light from a monitor which will not match
...Show more

Noticing everything they say is useful...Show more

Those are exactly the kinds of things I shoot…

Then I guess you fall into the just don't care bucket, which is fine. But saying that people who do care and do easily notice it as a bunch of 100% bull shitters is somewhat less fine.

Yup, they're too silly to take seriously… not! And that's not what I said. There are arenas where such is are actually needed. I doubt more than about 1% of the folks here are in that arena though they often convince themselves they are and that wide matters… Maybe if I took a poll 80% of people would say as you yourself do, that wide is very important and a highly color accurate monitor makes all the difference to them. But about 95% of those people would be totally fooling themselves, as it just doesn't!

Says you, based upon nothing.
And it's pretty ridiculous to even phrase it in terms of serious real pros vs hobbyists. What the heck does that have to do with anything? First, something pros actually care less about things since all that counts is bang per buck and you can get away with a lot. Second, it's pretty ridiculous to think that pros have magical eyes that can notice when extra colors in wide gamut but that mere, lowly, hobbyists, not even the ones who convince themselves they are on the higher plane of existence of a serious (oooooooh!!! how impressive let us all bow down before you serious pros!!!), eyes simply can't.

Your monitor wasn't setup correctly - this includes controlling your video card - not just the controls on the monitor itself.

1. if you are running a cable box or blu-ray player or what not into an HDTV there is no video card LUT to adjust

2. the video card LUT only lets you change the tone response curve and white balance you can't change primary locations or primary luminance or saturation tracking or stuff like that even when you are using a PC

And when set right no, no one can tell a wide from a sRGB panel simply by looking - all other things being equal.

that's not true, because for years I could tell that some of my shots just never looked right

Maybe if compared side-by-side or immediately one to the other.

not just maybe in that case, but 100% for sure with ease providing the image has enough colors, enough out of gamut, many won't, but it's very easy to find many that will

But even then it's a self contained difference with no barring on the general practice and process of photography. Colors to a large degree are subjective and tho so many have been mindfucked into believing they need wide displays it really is just a bunch of hooey (exceptions previously noted)!

with those meaningless exceptions just happening to be many of the coolest photographic subjects of course, as even you admitted....

But that's true switching between any two different models even when both are wide gamut.

If they have primaries with similar spectral spikes and both have fancy internal LUTs or can be calibrated and profiled very well, then no.

If the calibration stuff holds then it's greatly minimized.

There can be a bit of the metamerism issue with the spectral spikes in some cases

I'm using the term bullshit subjectively not objectively and not personally. Just as some people claim it's needed I'm claiming that those claims in general, are indeed bullshit for the vast majority of photogs and even most of the elitists. Not the people making the claim, just the general claims themselves. I'm sure the mindfuck is quite deep and maybe even permanent with most folks who believe these things - but they aren't to blame for that IMO.

you are assuming a lot

and I know plenty of people who had a MF in the opposite direction, myself included, when I finally bothered to get a wide gamut monitor and saw the difference

I don't think I've ever seen an example of this - ever. Where are you reading that you see this? Most people who pay the premiums for what today is a very tiny advantage in better lenses, bodies, and gear also apply the same logic to their monitors.

I see it all the times in the forums, people with many thousands and many tens of thousands of equipment still running older and far sub 1920x1200 monitors (dare to post an image larger than a postage stamp on quite a few of the forums here and you'll head will get bitten off fast). And you see people saying all the time, what super great photo monitor can I get. I want to keep my budget for the screen under $200. And then you look at their equipment list and it's all 1DX and 5D3 and 24 T&S II and 400 2.8 IS II and the fanciest flash known to man and so on, but then it comes to the monitor and they complain if someone suggests they so much as buy a calibration probe. I mean not always and certainly not with everyone by any means, but I see it often enough to have noticed. I'm not the only one either. On another website, someone even started a thread about this very topic.

In fact this is probably the source of the very problem of which I speak. There really is an edge in higher end and more expensive acquisition and print gear. And the tendency to think this carries over to their monitor is pretty common. And within reason it does to some degree. The problem is that it's only "better" in a tiny tiny fraction of shots and that "better-ness" begins and ends with the monitor itself - it doesn't help the shot, and it doesn't help the print. The only thing it can actually help is color matching. Like where
...Show more

What good is the vague notion of the shot in digital form? You need something to, you know, SEE the shot.
And yeah a printer can be one way to see a shot, but it's a very slow, expensive way to see a shot and many shots don't get printed. Sometimes it's nice to see some of the colors and dynamic range that can't be printed too.
And with 4k+ monitors arriving all the moreso.

Please remember and please use the proper context in which I said "100%". "…when we begin talking about hobbyists, forum posters, and mom&pop photographers" Ring any bells?

Yes, we know, in your mind, only the most serious, elite pros has any use for wide gamut or a fancy monitor or both. No simple peon hobbyist or run of the mill forum poster possibly could.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Bifurcator wrote:
Probably still not the one people should be holding out for tho. No matter what your computer and GPU can do it will only go 30Htz. which is OK but not ideal.

quite possibly so, but all the same I'm sure it will get more 4k displays out there and more screaming crying for OS and UI to handle them in ideal fashion

. Also I'm kinda wondering if 28" isn't a little small when talking about 4K. I sure wouldn't wanna go any smaller than that - that's for sure! I'm thinking 30 to 33" is probably about optimal. <shrug> For 1080 to 2k I think 23 to 28" is about right. Just me?

I was actually seeing some people saying that the density might not be quite enough once you start going larger than 28"!

And think about the PPI on your prints and many are smaller than a 30-33" print or even a 24" print I bet.

Even the 24" 4k is only 180PPI or so, less than a print or book. It's not too bad for the viewing distance though.

2k is way too low for 23-28" for me. I already have that and it looks nothing like a print or a book. And after using a retina iPad for a while, it looks so darn grainy and blurry when I got back to my 1920x1200 24".

to each their own

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:49 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Well, (in reply to post #7) you keep putting words in my mouth and you're now trying to win some kind of argument or score points so I'll just leave you to that… (brown hole and all…)

On #8, I suppose a lot depends on a person's eyesight and the viewing distance comfortable to them. Science tells us that statistically, human's with 20/20 vision can NOT resolve more than about 80 high contrast PPI from 1 meter away and 1 meter is about where most people view their monitors from while editing. My eyes are better than average and I can probably resolve about 95 or maybe even 105 on a really good day and with perfect lighting. Retina displays supposedly consider the distance held relative to that 80 PPI @ 1m and is employed for laptops, phones and small pads.

The human ability to detect pixels is typically
80 PPI @ 1m
160 PPI @ 66cm
240 PPI @ 33cm

And Jobs decided (based on his own ideas) to just call it 100, 200 and 300 at 1m, ⅔m and ⅓m respectively. This all has to do with pixels per degree (PPD) which considers viewing distance in it's formula but the bottom line for most people is: If it looks pixelated you're probably just sitting too close!

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:50 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Thats a reasonable price for an essentially cutting edge monitor. Only a handful of computers out there right now can even drive these 4K monitors at 60hz at this point so 30hz is probably the right choice by dell. TN pannel makes it tough to justify as a primary monitor but the price is damn good for a backup... assuming you can drive 4k with your graphics card in the first place.

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Bifurcator wrote:
On #8, I suppose a lot depends on a person's eyesight and the viewing distance comfortable to them. Science tells us that statistically, human's with 20/20 vision can NOT resolve more than about 80 high contrast PPI from 1 meter away and 1 meter is about where most people view their monitors from while editing. My eyes are better than average and I can probably resolve about 95 or maybe even 105 on a really good day and with perfect lighting. Retina displays supposedly consider the distance held relative to that 80 PPI @ 1m and is employed for laptops,
...Show more

or maybe some sit too far away
39" is pretty far for a 24" screen
why do people have to sit far away from screens? why shouldn't you be able to see the same crisp, detail text, the amount of information you can in a book that is much smaller than 24-30" screen? the only problem is the resolutions are too still. UHD displays finally start fixing that.

A lot of people sit more like 18-30" from a 24" screen from what I gathered on another thread on another forum. So 180PPI would be a decent fit for 24" monitor, certainly not remotely overkill.

also I believe the eye can pick up aliasing of black on white sometimes at higher frequency
even the ipad retina uses AA on text and some stuff

(for HDTVs too, people are often surprised how close the THX recommended viewing distance per screen size are, off-hand I forget but I think it was something like 4-7' for 50", so you can an enveloping experience, it's the manufacturers who push the distance to be as far as possible because they don't want to deal with people noticing stuck pixels and this and that, samsung repair guy tried to tell me that anything closer than 25' from a 50" screen shouldn't count for warranty! as 25' was the standard viewing recommendation for 50" displays!)

sure some people don't notice, they have lower res eyes or are not corrected to or natively 20/20 at screen distance and others well some simply don't seem to be tuned to care much and for whatever reason they don't care about seeing more detail in images or crisper text or anything and either way is fine and then some simply like sitting very far away from screens and that is that

but for others, for the rest, I say bring on 4k for 24", there are plenty enough for whom it does make a difference at that size even if it is not everyone

Jan 09, 2014 at 09:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

Actually some recent things hint that this 28" UHD from Dell might not be a crummy 6bit TN but might be 8bit VA or IPS so not that bad. It will be limited to max refresh rate of 30fps in UHD mode but apparently can be dropped back into HD mode at 60fps. I'm sure it won't have the 14 bit 3D LUT thing and it seems to be sRGB gamut and not wide.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · $699: Dell announces pricing on the 28" UHD monitor

actually who knows some specs for the sub $1000 UHD monitors hint at MVA and some hints at TN

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.