New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

Hankk2

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

Hi --

I'm having a hard time getting consistent flash exposures out of my D4 + SB900 + PW setup. Most of my shots will be properly exposed, but then some (maybe 25-30%) will be totally overexposed, as if the flash is firing on full power. Does anyone else get this? I don't know if this is an equipment issue, a configuration thing, or something in how I'm using them. But it's really annoying, and I've been unable to figure anything out.

An example is below. Both shots were on Aperture priority, f/2.8, EV=0, FEV=0. Matrix metering. Both metered at 1/15th, ISO 400. They were taken within a second of each other. AF-C, with a single focus point set.

But the second one is obviously way overexposed!

At first I thought that the frame shifted a bit, so the flash was metering off of something in the background, rather than the foreground. That would cause a foreground overexposure. But I was unable to force the flash system to overexpose when I was trying to do this intentionally. And my understanding of Nikon flash metering is that it always meters on the foreground / center anyhow, so a minor shift shouldn't change that. (e.g., http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/02/8-how-buit-in-flash-metering-works.html).

Then I thought that maybe it was a hardware issue. I used to have full-power exposure on my Canon flashes when they were not fully plugged into the hotshot. But I get the same behavior with both the SB800 and SB900, so that seems unlikely.

Then there's the PW's, which are always a bit dodgy. But there is nothing complex here and they should be able to do the job. I'm not shooting at 1/1000 on hypersync or anything. I'm using two TT5's, with a zone controller. Powering everything down and back up does not fix the problem.

So maybe it's me, or my mis-understanding of how flash metering should work. Ideas?

Thanks,
-Henry

P.S. I've looked at the EXIF data and there is nothing relevant there. The flash power is not listed -- only that it was on and fired.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:25 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

This is very familiar. I had 2 SB-900's and an SB-600. One of the 900's would occasionally dump on me when using PW's TT5's. This occurred on my D4, but not my D800, and it was limited to just one of the SB-900's. The folks at PW went out of their way to help solve the issue, including swapping speedlights with me for a few weeks. They couldn't duplicate it, so I eventually circumvented the issue by replacing the faulty (?) SB-900 with an SB-910.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

First make sure you do a factory reset on the PW's, then make sure you have the latest firmware update. Then, before you take your regular images take the first "calibration" shot at 1/125th second. Then proceed as normal. Go to PW's site and check out Mark Wallace's YouTube on HHS sync set-up.

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:51 PM
djb663
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

Everything that Gregg said and one more thing. FRESH BATTERIES. I have been using the PW's with my D4, D700, and D300 for some time. I have two SB 800's and one SB 600 with the mini, flex's and ac 3. The two things that I've experienced that have caused your issues are either not taking the 125 calibration shot, or when the batteries start to lose power. I use rechargeables because they tend to hold their power until dead, no weakening. Hope that helps.

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:16 PM
Hankk2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

Awesome -- thanks all. Glad I'm not the only one with this.

o Latest firmware: running it already.
o 1/125 cal shot: news to me. I certainly have not been doing this. I'll look into it.
o Fresh batteries: I second that. Whenever I get strange results with the PW's a fresh set of batts often fixes it.
o SB-900: I hope it's not a flaky flash, but I'll try some more comparisons with my other units to narrow it down.

Jan 10, 2014 at 04:54 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

The 1/125th cal shot is a must. For some reason when your using the flex and/or mini, you have to do a first cal shot.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

basehorhonda wrote:
The 1/125th cal shot is a must. For some reason when your using the flex and/or mini, you have to do a first cal shot.

Just so I understand too, this procedure is done every time you attach the flex units for the first time? What about if you turn a couple of units / camera off during a shoot then back on you don't have to re-calibrate, correct? I'm sure it's not the latter but want confirmation too. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

I don't know for sure but I would assume every time you power them off and back on.

Jan 16, 2014 at 04:05 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

The way I do it, I attach all my speedlights to the flexs, then turn on all my flashes, then turn on all the flexs. Attach mini to camera. Turn on mini. Turn on camera. test shot at 1/125th, and them im good to go.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/nikon_intro/

Not to sound rude, but reading the instructions really explains it pretty clearly.

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:55 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with Nikon+PW flash exposure

I've never needed a calibration shot with my Nikon gear, and contrary to basehorhonda's comment, it's not mentioned in the Nikon tutorial.

Jan 18, 2014 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.