Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

After lots of Pinterest and photog website browsing, I have noticed a rising trend in photographers setting up glamorous fashion-centric shoots with models in tuxes / wedding gowns to use for their portfolio.

Most of the shoots I'm referring to are highly stylized, likely have a set and/or wardrobe designer involved, stylists, etc.

The topic at hand:

Is using models and stylists for some (or most) of your portfolio work misleading or potentially unethical? How important do you feel it is to say that all of your brides and couples are 'real' clients?

If I were a bride comparing two photographers with identical skill, I wonder if I would pick the one with the most attractive people.

It may just come down to each photog's brand and target market, but I wanted to open the discussion to hear some other thoughts.

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:23 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I've had someone express regret to me for hiring their photog because the shots on their site looked amazing but they did a terrible job on their wedding. When I visited the site I could tell these were obvious styled shoots and possibly workshop images with full lighting setups and stylized props and wardrobe. It's a shame.
Not sure how "unethical" it is, but I'd say it's at least misleading. That's why I always advise people to ask to see several full galleries of entire real weddings before making their decision.

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:36 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

i think it can be potentially misleading, though a diligent couple would look at the blog and want to see more of a complete set, especially up at the mid-upper price points. I've never done a styled shoot, but I think it would be a fun thing to do. IF I did something like that I would make it clear that the shoot involved models though... just like when I blog a model shoot, I don't call it a "portrait session." (Though I do have some of that in my Portrait portfolio, since I consider actor/model head shots a form of portraiture).

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:39 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

it bothers me...mainly for what was already said. Often times the photographer cannot actually deliver those types of results for their clients. Even more than styled shoots, it bothers me when big name photographers setup workshops and explicitly tell people they should use those times to build their portfolio.

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

Can think of only 3 reasons to do stylized wedding shoot if you aren't being paid.

1. Lack of content on your blog/website.

2. Submission to wedding sites that love showing stylized wedding shots that will almost never happen at a real wedding.

3. Confuse possible clients by making them think their wedding photos might look as good.

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:39 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

thebeginning wrote:
Is using models and stylists for some (or most) of your portfolio work misleading or potentially unethical?

It's very unethical because it's misleading.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:05 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

D. Diggler wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I've done semi-stylized shoots with real people. And the only fully stylized shoot I did was for a cake magazine, so it was clearly editorial work.

I would never market that type of stuff as anything but what it is. All of the weddings, people, and engagements I show on my website, my blog, my facebook, my tumblr, my instagram, etc., are all real people. No models. No crazy styling. Just real, down to earth, folks.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:51 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

Let's be absolutely clear: doing so is completely f*cked up and makes you a terrible human being.

Happy shooting

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:33 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

ricardovaste wrote:
Let's be absolutely clear: doing so is completely f*cked up and makes you a terrible human being.

Happy shooting

Well, then... I'm glad we... uhh.. kinda'... sorta'... cleared that up?

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

There are Cake Magazines?!?!?

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:14 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

Nothing wrong if you want to do it for fun/learning or want to offer this kind of thing to clients. Passing it off as a real wedding is a different matter.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:31 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I've seen that discussion around here about only posting pretty people in your portfolio and being more willing to offer a discount to pretty couple with extravagant venues so they can add that to their portfolio. I really wonder about the logic of that.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:47 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

D. Diggler wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.

It's only misleading if it's not something you normally do. Photographers who have their couples set aside 2-3 hours for a wedding day or post-wedding shoot could easily pull of something like that. It's not something I do, but there are plenty of folks that do...

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:56 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I agree with much of the above, with the general consensus being (for me) that I just couldn't not do something like that unless it was for a salon or publication and separated from 'real wedding' work. Most of the couples I work with are wonderful, heartfelt, genuine people and I *want* to show that, over just stylized glamour shoots (though that seems like fun every once in a while).

Swoop brought up a good point though - is it poor business practice to discount or do extra work for attractive clients to use in your portfolio? In essence, using them as models?

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:14 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

thebeginning wrote:
Swoop brought up a good point though - is it poor business practice to discount or do extra work for attractive clients to use in your portfolio? In essence, using them as models?

Well, it does away with the 'ethical' part of the equation. I'm sure a small discount would be less costly than hiring and outfitting 2 models, while still being able to duck the almighty ethics issue in the process.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:21 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I don't really have a problem with it. I mean, it is a photograph you captured, right? And if the client is willing to give you the time on their wedding day, you could reproduce a similar result, right?

Not much different than shooting these $75k+ weddings with a model-like bride and groom, pageant girls for bridesmaids, type-A wedding planner and professionally lit reception halls. Just like these stylized shoots, you can't miss.

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:20 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

maxwell1295 wrote:
It's only misleading if it's not something you normally do. Photographers who have their couples set aside 2-3 hours for a wedding day or post-wedding shoot could easily pull of something like that. It's not something I do, but there are plenty of folks that do...

Or something you COULD do. If someone held your hand and set your lights for you, you should not put that image in your portfolio...it's not YOURS.

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:32 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I don't have a problem with using professional stylist and hair/makeup artist for a promo shot. As for the model that term could mean some girl with no experience wanting to trade for portfolio images or a girl that is a true professional and requires no assistance during the shoot. I require both hair and makeup for my bridal portraits and offer (for a fee) a stylist and person to assist in posing/art direct. In my area bridal shots are done weeks before the weddings and never the same day. When I do this kind of shot I want a model the same age range and look of my client.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

maxwell1295 wrote:
I couldn't disagree more.

If a photographer sets aside two hours for photos before a wedding, I would consider getting to use 75% of that 2 hours the best case scenario. Most likely the two hours becomes one hour of photos.

So on the real wedding day you have already lost 50% of the photo opportunities that were planned.
So during the fake wedding you get professional models for two hours, and on the wedding day you get nervous amateurs for one hour in what may be the worst time of the day for photos.

Certainly exceptional posed photos of the bride and groom can be made on the wedding day, but doing so is at least 10 times harder than getting exceptional posed photos of professional models in a non stressed situation.

I would say the difference would be similar to throwing the football to a receiver during practice without pads, and doing the same thing in front of 70,000 people and having large men trying to take your head off.

You are doing the same thing, it's just much harder with all the pressure.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:18 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "Wedding Photoshoots" with models? (discuss)

I have a solution for those brides:

Hire Jeremy Clay. The style = having your cake (portfolio of people in fancy attire and flashy styled photos) and eating it too (actually delivers the same).

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.