FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2014 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

XDCAMan wrote:
Give you guys an idea on firmware update cost.... I have technician friend high up in the Canon hierarchy and he tells me an update like this or say one by Fuji cost on average $100,000 & up to write and implement (test, revise etc...). Now you see why firmware updates are not released every 3 to 6 months.

Enjoy.

I believe it. People think this stuff is a god given right. I for one truly appreciate the companies taking the effort to actually add features and not just fix problems. Kudos Canon and Fuji

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 12:22 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

I have technician friend high up in the Canon hierarchy and he tells me an update like this or say one by Fuji cost on average $100,000 & up to write and implement (test, revise etc...). Now you see why firmware updates are not released every 3 to 6 months.

Chump change for Canon. I would think the real reason for infrequent firmware updates is because they got the software 'mostly' right the first or second time. When I see multiple firmware updates for anything it usually means sloppy programming the first time around.

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

It appears that Manual Exposure with Auto ISO, that exposure compensation is adjusted in the Quick Control screen (exposure Compensation), not as suggested in the new Manual. Works fine an as expected, just not as shown in the manual or at least I can't get it to works that way. I prefer the "Q" screen menu anyway.

update - now it works like the new Manual suggests. Not sure why it didn't before.

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Vancouver47 wrote:
It appears that Manual Exposure with Auto ISO, that exposure compensation is adjusted in the Quick Control screen (exposure Compensation), not as suggested in the new Manual. Works fine an as expected, just not as shown in the manual or at least I can't get it to works that way. I prefer the "Q" screen menu anyway.

I don't understand. Can't you just set whatever shutter and aperture combo you like now in Auto ISO mode, and the camera will honor the exposure you have set rather than override your settings and return it to standard exposure?

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:07 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I don't understand. Can't you just set whatever shutter and aperture combo you like now in Auto ISO mode, and the camera will honor the exposure you have set rather than override your settings and return it to standard exposure?

Remember that Auto ISO in Manual Mode does not give you any auto exposure bias compensation. After all we have EV bias for Av and Tv modes in auto ISO. Now we have Ev bias for ISO in manual

The new firmware allows you to set an exposure bias in manual/auto ISO. Previously Manual/auto ISO gave you no choice of EV bias.

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:25 AM
shiromochi

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

did the upgrade and played briefly with the 85L. focusing is definitely faster - you can hear the difference, as the motor seems to be a little louder. probably sending a little more voltage - wonder if this will affect battery life? lots to play with over the next couple days!

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:34 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Vancouver47 wrote:
Remember that Auto ISO in Manual Mode does not give you any auto exposure bias compensation. After all we have EV bias for Av and Tv modes in auto ISO. Now we have Ev bias for ISO in manual

The new firmware allows you to set an exposure bias in manual/auto ISO. Previously Manual/auto ISO gave you no choice of EV bias.

I know that, I just didn't understand what you were saying about needing to use the Q button to set EC.

Jan 09, 2014 at 04:46 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Hurray!

Sooo looking forward to trying the Manual / Auto ISO out with the EC!

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:09 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

I wonder if Canon will do a similar update for the 5D3 to avoid having to update the model this year

Jan 09, 2014 at 05:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Excellent, love it.

+1

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:37 AM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:53 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Sweet!

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

dhphoto wrote:
I wonder if Canon will do a similar update for the 5D3 to avoid having to update the model this year

Maybe in 6 months time?

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:28 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Stoffer wrote:
Maybe in 6 months time?

Most likely but I think they will only give the 5D3 a few of the updates. I would guess that it won't get any AF changes as there is no voltage to play with (assumption) but it hopefully will get the EC in Auto-ISO and M mode.

Jan 09, 2014 at 07:46 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

What a fantastic set of updates!!

Now for the 5d3 so I can use them

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

Just a reminder that there is also a new updated manual that will be worth a read as this FW has brought some big changes. Here is the link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#BrochuresAndManuals

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:33 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

The EC in Auto ISO and M is probably the biggest change but then after finally giving us the option to make this mode useable for once, they also go and improve AV mode by giving us up to 1/8000s as a setting for min SS Now that both modes are improved, I have to decide if either will work for me as I've just spent the last year learning to use M mode with my own set ISO (fully M mode) and I'm liking it. Now Canon has given me the option to resort back to my two previous shooting modes of AV and Auto-ISO in M.

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Harry.C
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

This is a pretty awesome firmware update. I think I'll wait a day or two and see if anyone bricks their 1dx first though

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:38 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

This is huge, thank you for posting the firmware update!

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon EOS-1D X firmware 2.0.3 update

I'm not positive, and I'll have to wait until I'm home today, but I (finally) sent my 1DX in for the recall a few weeks ago, received it back on 12/20, and I -think- it came home with 2.0.3.

Jan 09, 2014 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.