New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Car racing, post processing help

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Car racing, post processing help

First time with car racing, I'm happy with the photos, but I think the processing could use some work. Any insight is much appreciated.

Edited on Jan 13, 2014 at 07:23 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Car racing, post processing help

I really enjoy the images, nice work panning and at 90mm you must have been on top of them.

That said, and I enjoy sports car racing - tried photographing races many years ago at Upper Marlboro, Summit Point, Watkins Glen, and Bridgehampton -I found it difficult to gain separation among groups of images - something to distinguish one image/car from another. Otherwise, we're left with pretty blurs of color that, for me quickly grow stale.

I think these would benefit from more length, allowing space for the car to drive into the frame (#2 & 3). Too , it appears as they are braking to enter a turn, so another broader environmental shot showing the corner (with cars entering) would help add context. Also a 3/4 front view to show some grill work would add perspective. Usually images with only horizontal lines lack any sense of tension or dynamics - in other words, static and lack visual interest.

Processing: bright, crisp, great focus and DOF, maybe a little on the hot side for some.

I'm envious of your having been there, and the weather Looks like a grand time

Regards,

Bob

Edited on Jan 08, 2014 at 07:59 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2014 at 07:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Car racing, post processing help

Processing looks pretty good on a technical basis, so it probably comes down to how much creative styling you want to apply to them.

I'd look at cropping off the tops into more pano, and maybe playing with toning for creative purposes if you like. What kind of vibe are you thinking, accurate, drama or over the top signature? Lots of ways you can go.

Edited on Jan 08, 2014 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2014 at 07:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Car racing, post processing help

I'm with the others.
Well-captured and processed.
More pano, especially with more room in front of the vehicles, would more strongly indicate the motion.
Nice job getting the spinning wheels but sharp captures of the cars.
Scott

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:13 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Car racing, post processing help

Thank you for the input and compliments Bob, Rusty and sbeme. When I get home today, I'll recrop the photos and see if that changes my perspective on them.

@Bob Most of the country is envious of the weather right now. It's nice and warm down here in sunny South Florida! lol . I'll see how much space I have to crop on the Viper (you are right, he was coming in through a 180 turn). Unfortunately this was just an open track day at Palm Beach International Raceway, so nobody was "rubbin' is racin'", everyone was pretty spaced out just having fun. Nothing too intense or dramatic.

@RustyBug I think I'm looking for a more 'unique' processing style to really make the photos pop. Unfortunately I don't have any sample photos to show what I'm looking for. I just have it stuck in my head that there is something missing from the photos.

Jan 09, 2014 at 08:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Car racing, post processing help

Grasping at straws a bit ... for "unique" without too cheesy. Probably will take someone with a more "creative" mind than I've got for this one, atm.

Back to my "What's the point?" or "What's the message that you want to convey to you viewer?" ... as guiding principles for processing decisions, how would you answer those questions? I'm wondering if you are looking for something "different" for the sake of being "different" or do you have a goal/vision for the image direction that you are unsure of how to achieve.

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:27 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Car racing, post processing help

Think you did a nice job on these with PP.

Composition wise, I would lead the car a bit more #3 vs leave more behind the car. The white wall that is in the background takes a lot away from the car in #1. You've got the slow shutter/panning and focus nailed down solid so try some other areas of the track with same technique.

Jan 09, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Joe Costa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Car racing, post processing help

BenV theses shots look good, good exposure and panning.

If anything I'd add that when cropping cars in action shots try to leave some space in front for the cars to "go into", which is why for me the GTR shot works better than the Benz shot

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:39 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Car racing, post processing help

Sorry for the late replies everyone. I decided the look I wanted was more along the lines of what RustyBug did. Hope you like it

Thanks for all the tips and critique, it was really appreciated

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:21 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Car racing, post processing help

Clean, crisp, sweet.

Bob

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:12 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Car racing, post processing help

First would benefit from a looser crop and the second from more space on the left to drive into.

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.