Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How to achieve photos similar to...

bayvillian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to achieve photos similar to...

Hey all,
After going back and forth about which section to post this under I think this makes the most sense.
I am always checking out photographers and stumbled on this website.
http://www.thecollectiveshift.com/show/portfolio/diCorcia/149
I love his work, is there a way to achieve this style via full frame camera, good lighting skills, and editing or is this a simple case of larger format film and nothing else can look like this?
Thanks

Jan 08, 2014 at 12:56 PM
SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to achieve photos similar to...

Hello bayvillian,

I do not think format has anything to do with this work.

What i see at first glance is a photographer that always have at least one flash with him and some sort of portable light modifier and combines this added portable light to perfection with available ambient light. I could be wrong but many of the pictures are made to look at snap shots but aren't. Poses and light are just to perfect at times, although the added light often gives a nice 3d-ish effect. Many are really wonderful pictures. But like i said i doubt very much the format of the camera as anything to do with the overall feel of the series, it's more about light and care put into it. IMHO

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:28 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to achieve photos similar to...

Based upon what I'm seeing here, I don't see many pictures (except maybe the first one of the person in the red top) that represents much of the shallow depth of field that larger sensors usually allow for.

I see a lot of fantastic lighting here, though . I think that's what this photographers talent really is. Unique use of lighting.

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:30 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to achieve photos similar to...

yes excellent lighting indeed. What about the processing. I would love to achieve a look like the second photo (well any of them ) Say I did have the lighting down, is this just a simple vsco kind of edit?

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to achieve photos similar to...

You can try to replicate his shots, copy them, whatever, but your challenge is that this photographer has his own vision, and that's his style. It doesn't really matter what camera he's used, I'm sure it's changed over the years. What does matter is that it's his style, and even if you do an awesome job copying one of his shots, or his style, it's still his style. His shot. I think you'd be better off focusing on developing your style. Use his work to inspire you. That's just me.

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:25 PM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to achieve photos similar to...

I didn't mean his style of photography, but I would like to achieve something similar color wise. Style takes years and years to achieve, I'm not trying to copy anyone here.

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to achieve photos similar to...

The photo's have that film like look to them.

You can buy film type presets for lightroom from places like VSCO.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/07/19/vsco-film-the-best-film-look-conversion-software-i-have-tried/

This guy shows you how to do it on your own:

Filmbot has free presets you can download.

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:36 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to achieve photos similar to...

See the cinematic thread over at POTN.

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:59 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.