FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Trevorma wrote:
Again, this is YOUR OPINION. Maybe Nikon does not want to continue it's PRO DX line. Maybe they (Nikon) feel that if the D7100 is not for you, then you should go FX..... Maybe Nikon does not see the world the way YOU do....

The longer Nikon goes without a PRO DX DSLR refresh the more I am leaning towards Nikon feeling they don't have any gaps in their line-up and you are going to be left hoping for something that will never come......

Dude, take a chill pill ... or X-lax if you can't get a prescription until tomorrow.

Two of the missing bodies I mentioned are FX, not DX ... besides, the thread was suppose to be a joke about high-spead itteration ... hmm, let's see, where is that "hide" button.

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:52 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Trevorma wrote:
There is sarcasm and then there is obsessing.....

You have a D400 thread where you are all over Nikon for the lack of a D400, then you posted in the D4s thread about your feelings regarding the lack of a D400, now this one......

Here is a thought: Did it ever occur to you that Nikon does not view a l D400 (or a Pro DX format DLSR) as a need anymore?

I hear Canon has some good stuff these days..... maybe they have a pro DX body

+1 It sure seems like this is an obsession. While you might think it's funny, most of us are tired of hearing whining about a D400. For the rest of us we have moved on and to see this daily crying about a lack of a D400 has gotten beyond old... Go buy a D3s and shoot in crop mode or something... but more than anything just get out and go shoot instead moping about an imaginary camera...

Jim

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:00 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

The longer Nikon doesn't take care of us loyal D300(s) owners who are buying lenses, the better Sony & Fuji begin to look....

Hey Andre, maybe by iterating at the lower end, they're trying to build enough of a market for a pro level DX? Or another Duh model....

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Bernie wrote:
The longer Nikon doesn't take care of us loyal D300(s) owners who are buying lenses, the better Sony & Fuji begin to look....

Hey Andre, maybe by iterating at the lower end, they're trying to build enough of a market for a pro level DX? Or another Duh model....

I'm actually more interested in seeing what Sigma does over the next year or two.

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:33 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Let's give the guy a break. He was trying to be funny. If you don't like what Andre has to say,
you don't have to open his treads. There is no call for anger. After all, he wasn't claiming that
Canon was superior to Nikon, heaven forbid!

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Hey if you are tired of hearing about a D400 think about us canon guys who have to put up with those waiting for the Holy Grail, a digital EOS 3. Whatever that would be....

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:40 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Bernie wrote:

So where is the D300 equivalent in the Sony/Fuji camp?
Don't see anything that even has the slightest hint of a D300 equivalent...

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:41 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Andre Labonte wrote:
... hmm, let's see, where is that "hide" button.

Found it!
Just joking, this is a stupid remark...

Edited on Jan 09, 2014 at 02:01 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Willy Y.
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Trevorma wrote:
Again, this is YOUR OPINION. Maybe Nikon does not want to continue it's PRO DX line. Maybe they (Nikon) feel that if the D7100 is not for you, then you should go FX..... Maybe Nikon does not see the world the way YOU do....

And again isn't this YOUR OPINION? sorry couldn't resist. It's a forum people get to post what they want, if you don't like someone joking about a lack of a camera body they would like to see then don't read it. IMO I think Nikon would have been much better off releasing a D400 than releasing the DF. Especially considering their new stance on "releasing products with a higher profit margin" - That really is what the D400 would be as DX sensors are cheaper and they could sell the body for $1600. Looking at the product line they still have the D300s listed as the Flagship DX body and they still sell them new in the Nikon store. So, if the d7100 were meant to replace it then why wouldn't they discontinue it? Anyway, I would really like to have a D400 myself - 20-24 mp DX with a real buffer and 8fps would be an awesome wildlife camera. Especially if it had the low light ability of the DF and D4 which none of the DX cameras possess at this time.

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:13 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

You know, they did say a camera would be officially announced on January 17. We already heard about the D3300 and the D4S (even though the latter's still in development).

It might just be that D400 that'll force you to change your pants. Or the Nikon DUH.

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:18 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Trevorma wrote:
There is sarcasm and then there is obsessing.....

You have a D400 thread where you are all over Nikon for the lack of a D400, then you posted in the D4s thread about your feelings regarding the lack of a D400, now this one......

Here is a thought: Did it ever occur to you that Nikon does not view a l D400 (or a Pro DX format DLSR) as a need anymore?

I hear Canon has some good stuff these days..... maybe they have a pro DX body

What about the endless threads asking "what camera, lens, strap, case etc. should I buy"

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Willy Y.
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

MazeRunner wrote:
You know, they did say a camera would be officially announced on January 17. We already heard about the D3300 and the D4S (even though the latter's still in development).

It might just be that D400 that'll force you to change your pants. Or the Nikon DUH.

It would actually make sense sales wise to release a prosumer body with high FPS right before the Olympics - I bet they would sell a few.
On a side note Canon Rumors is saying very recently that the canon 7d mark ii is definitely coming in 2014 - according to a CR3 level person... whatever that means. so I can't imagine Nikon wouldn't answer with the D400.

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Willy Y. wrote:
It would actually make sense sales wise to release a prosumer body with high FPS right before the Olympics - I bet they would sell a few.
On a side note Canon Rumors is saying very recently that the canon 7d mark ii is definitely coming in 2014 - according to a CR3 level person... whatever that means. so I can't imagine Nikon wouldn't answer with the D400.

Hmmm ... so maybe we should follow the Canon Rumors to predict Nikon releases ...

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Andre Labonte wrote:
In keeping with our ongoing policy of not filling in obvious gaps in our line-up while excessively itterating up-to-date bodies, we are proud to introduce to you the Nikon Duh.

The Duh is an exciting update of the Df with the D610 sensor but the D600 shutter. We regret that the additional MP of this new sensor means that FPS will now be only 4 with a 1/2 second buffer ... but hey, it's retro and awesome ... Duh!

And better yet, we will introduce the camera with yet another 50mm lens; this time a nice retro looking 50mm f/2 AFS
...Show more

Ha! Nicely done

I'm going to hold off for the DUHs.

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:28 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

To: Product Development Team, Consumer Imaging

Hey Guys & Gals!

Our dear friend Mr. Labonte really has his panties in a wad over on the Miranda forum again. January's monthly prize ($50 gift certificate to Amazon) will be awarded for the best idea on how to start a leak that makes it to NR about a new "pro" level DX body with 24Mp and 14fps using the new Expeed 4 chip in development for the Olympics.

Remember, this is the fun part of the job!

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

no camera will ever be perfect.

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Gaylon Holmes wrote:
Ha! Nicely done

I'm going to hold off for the DUHs.

the s version of the Duh! Now that is funny!

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:15 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Andre,
I am not sure if Nikon wants to release a semi pro DX like the D300. The price point where the D200/300 were released is now occupied by an entry level FX, the D610. The pros who were buying D1/D2 etc are now buying D3s, D4 etc. The serious enthusiast and some pros are buying the D800 and some D610. So some of the Nikon users who had budgeted around $2000 for a camera have bought the D610 and won't get a second body. So, the market for the D300 level DX has shrunk. Thus, to make it economically justifiable as it knows it will sell a smaller number of cameras, Nikon either has to increase the price for the D300 successor (which will make it more expensive than D610 and perhaps shrink the market further) or reduce features (and you get the D7100). It is a tough position for Nikon.

My question is do we really a D400 to shoot? If you need reach, D7100 is there but the buffer is limited. However, with proper timing and anticipation a lot of the spraying can be reduced and it can be used in a pinch. You can also use the DX crop on D800, which is adequate coming from D300. The fps is again not there, but it is not too bad. I think everyone wants a camera exactly to their specifications and if it is not there, they start to complain. Actually, with some compromise, Nikon's current lineup is offering more choices than ever. Instead of saying thank you to Nikon, all I hear is complaining that my exact needs are not being met. Kind of getting boring. So, even if you are making a joke, it is not being heard as such.

Rant over for now!!!

However, after two years of releasing the D800, Nikon must have got a good return on that body. Now they can slap a 24MP DX sensor on it and market it as D400, and 24MP FX sensor and market it as D800h, the successor for D700. Perhaps the new Expeed 4 engine can be added to it to get the extra fps. Perhaps then the cost will be lower, as the major part of the R&D costs for the body has already been recuperated.

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Fist of all, this thread was NOT ABOUT THE D400 ... the D400 was not mentioned in the original post and I purposly tried to avoid it in subsequent posts.

The orignal post was simply meant as a joke and parody of Nikons current behavior in releasing new bodies regardless function, format or target consumer.

People are reading far too much into what I write and are making far too many assumptions about my intention ... not to mention their hostile and unbecoming behavior. I've been around this forum a lot longer that most of the "bitchers" and can tell you, they are the ones turning this place into dpreview.

AMaji wrote:
My question is do we really a D400 to shoot? If you need reach, D7100 is there but the buffer is limited. However, with proper timing and anticipation a lot of the spraying can be reduced and it can be used in a pinch.

You can also use the DX crop on D800, which is adequate coming from D300. The fps is again not there, but it is not too bad.

You know, I see people make the D7100 + timing argument all the time. It clearly shows a lack of understanding of certain kinds of action photography. I've watched football plays go on for 6 or 7 seconds with continuous good action, all photograph worthy, with twists and turns that nobody could anticipate. Also, while I can anticipate where and when many plays will occur, I can't anticipate facial expressions and good FPS with a good buffer makes sure I get a good marriage of the two aspects. Similarly, many panning shots involve action that goes on longer than 1 second. Seriously, a 1 second buffer depth is completely inadequate.

As for getting a D800 … now does it really make sense to get an FX camera only to shoot it in DX crop mode most of the time? Or to spend tens of thousands of $$$ to update my lenses to match the FOVs I current cover in DX? I think not on both counts.

Sports / action photography is nothing new and does indeed require a specialized tool. The same goes with a good segment of wildlife photography. For instance, sports and wildlife photography individually are significant enough to get their own boards here on FM and get a high level of traffic. Yet out of Nikon’s current line-up of 10+ DSLR bodies (including all supported models currently available as new) has only the D4 and the D300s that covers these two major areas of photography. That’s pathetic if you ask me.

Now that we have gone so far afield ... perhaps people would be kind enough to be

1) Civil
2) Add some humorus options to the Duh!

Jan 09, 2014 at 10:26 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Introducing the Nikon Duh

Andre, really sorry I made a possibly hurtfull (but not intended as) comment. But it's always you who are 'joking'. You can joke about something once, maybe twice, but after that it's not joking anymore and it has become teasing others. It's just not fun to have a forum with 50% of the topics/comments about the lack of this and that and about camera's that don't exist. That's what might turn FM into DP (visited that thing once and never gone back).
No offence intended in any of my posts.

Jan 09, 2014 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.