Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

D7100 Grips ???

ahamp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7100 Grips ???

I know there are some old threads. But, I was wondering if anyone had some fresh perspective. I feel I would like a grip for my D7100 as I had them on my 300/300s/700 cameras. I will use this mainly for vertical release when mounted to long glass and not tripod mounting. I use my D600 with L-bracket for tripod work. I tried out a Nikon MB-D15 at a local camera store. Although I liked the build, there was still more flex between the grip and body than I would have liked. Any first-hand experience with the third parties? Pixel, Bower, Photix or others?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:58 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7100 Grips ???

Hmmm, my MB-D15 is rock solid on my D7100. The new tightening dials make it really easy to lock down compared to the D7000 grip. Might want to try out another of the same to make sure it was just a faulty grip.

Jan 08, 2014 at 06:02 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7100 Grips ???

I have a Vello grip but there is a little movement between the grip and body.

Jan 08, 2014 at 06:21 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7100 Grips ???

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Hmmm, my MB-D15 is rock solid on my D7100. The new tightening dials make it really easy to lock down compared to the D7000 grip. Might want to try out another of the same to make sure it was just a faulty grip.

I didn't have the grip for my D7000. But, as mentioned I did have for other bodies. The salesman attached it initially. I did not get flex under normal use. But, there was give with only a little pressure. I tightened it as much as I could and still got play. I use this camera predominantly with big glass - mainly on a Wimberley gimbal head. But, I don't want any accidents.

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:12 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7100 Grips ???

VinnieJ wrote:
I have a Vello grip but there is a little movement between the grip and body.

Thanks for the information.

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7100 Grips ???

I have the MBD11 and MBD15 for my D7000 and D7100 and they tighten down to where I think they are solid. You can feel some flex, but i don't see any way around it with two parts held together by a single bolt. I prefer the Nikon factory grips. I just tighten them down so they are snug without overtightening.

Watch the BS forum and you can buy them at a discount.

I don't see any concern regarding "accidents" when using long glass on a gimbal head since the lens is conncted to the ball head, not the body/grip.

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jason_Brook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7100 Grips ???

I have a vello on my D7100. I've only ever used the camera with the lens attached to a gimbal or monopod, so I've been perfectly happy with it. If the camera got used more, I'd switch to the real deal as the vello is a bit cheap feeling. On my D700 I use a nikon since I use the camera very frequently. In the instance of the D700, the Nikon grip is leaps and bounds better than the third parties.

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:06 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7100 Grips ???

I am using the Pixel grip on my D7100 and it's been great so far. Build quality is very good and no fiddling or flex.

Jan 09, 2014 at 01:10 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7100 Grips ???

Red Rover wrote:
I have the MBD11 and MBD15 for my D7000 and D7100 and they tighten down to where I think they are solid. You can feel some flex, but i don't see any way around it with two parts held together by a single bolt. I prefer the Nikon factory grips. I just tighten them down so they are snug without overtightening.

Watch the BS forum and you can buy them at a discount.

I don't see any concern regarding "accidents" when using long glass on a gimbal head since the lens is conncted to the ball head, not the body/grip.

Thanks for your input. They are far and few on the BS forum ..... or eBay or anywhere for that matter! My D7000 is at Nikon as we speak from an "accident". The head wasn't balanced properly and swung around, bumping the car. The mount held on to the lens just fine. But, the plastic body came right off!

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:15 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7100 Grips ???

Jason_Brook wrote:
I have a vello on my D7100. I've only ever used the camera with the lens attached to a gimbal or monopod, so I've been perfectly happy with it. If the camera got used more, I'd switch to the real deal as the vello is a bit cheap feeling. On my D700 I use a nikon since I use the camera very frequently. In the instance of the D700, the Nikon grip is leaps and bounds better than the third parties.

Thanks.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:16 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7100 Grips ???

hijazist wrote:
I am using the Pixel grip on my D7100 and it's been great so far. Build quality is very good and no fiddling or flex.

I was looking at these. I believe they had a decent warranty.

Jan 09, 2014 at 02:17 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password