Thanks for looking.

Bob

Jan 07, 2014 at 07:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carousel

Just right !!!

A carousel ... IS ... a cornucopia of busy.

The pole and horse might be a bit too sharp ... pulling from the priceless princess a bit. I also, might crop or reduce the contrast on the horse a bit as its mass also competes with her. The jacket forearm a little bit competing also (contrast/sharp).

The wind in her hair and eyes of amazement at all the activity are fitting to the busy sights and sounds of the timeless carousel. I'm not much of a snapshot fan of other people's family, but this has captured the spirit of a universally timeless moment that could be a hundred years ago, or a hundred years from now (she'll be showing it to her great-grand children).

NOTE: Subtle and judicious adjustments/refinements only.

A stab at illustrating the tweaks. Not quite where I want them, but hopefully the gist of the horse @ sharp/mass vs. her shows a little shift her way.

Edited on Jan 08, 2014 at 02:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carousel

I don't have any complaint with the sharpness of the pole or horse. I see those elements as part of the story. I would try to darken the background a bit. I find the bright areas to be distracting.

Nice overall, but again I would do a bit more PP on the background.

Jan 08, 2014 at 12:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carousel

Selecting everything except the subject for a gamma bump and adding some vignette and some selective eye and mouth sharpening:

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carousel

RustyBug wrote:
Just right !!!

A carousel ... IS ... a cornucopia of busy.

The pole and horse might be a bit too sharp ... pulling from the priceless princess a bit. I also, might crop or reduce the contrast on the horse a bit as its mass also competes with her. The jacket forearm a little bit competing also (contrast/sharp).

The wind in her hair and eyes of amazement at all the activity are fitting to the busy sights and sounds of the timeless carousel. I'm not much of a snapshot fan of other people's family, but this has captured the spirit of a
...Show more

Kent,

Thanks for your thoughts, kind comments, and re-work. Yes, a WIP but seeing others' renditions helps - perhaps somewhere between Karen's and your versions.

Agree - critiquing another's family captures could be like walking into a minefield

Bob

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carousel

Camperjim wrote:
I don't have any complaint with the sharpness of the pole or horse. I see those elements as part of the story. I would try to darken the background a bit. I find the bright areas to be distracting.

Nice overall, but again I would do a bit more PP on the background.

Jim,

Thank you for looking and commenting - we have consensus on the background requiring more work

Bob

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carousel

AuntiPode wrote:
Selecting everything except the subject for a gamma bump and adding some vignette and some selective eye and mouth sharpening:

Karen,

Thank you for the rework - I think the horse is still problematic, I need to think about that more.

Regards,

Bob

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.