Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

jasonyuen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

I haven't looked in depth at the reviews but if what you say is true then it may be faster just to put say a 64gb micro SD card into your phone, pair it with a memory card reader to offload 50gb from the memory card onto your phone using an OTG cable, then pair a hard drive to the phone and transfer from the phone to the hard drive. It's not an elegant solution but it's probably one of the most economical considering the amount of storage needed. If you have a Galaxy note 3 then it's a bonus since it supports USB 3.0.

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

are you done cobbing together things?

Feb 13, 2014 at 01:18 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

jasonyuen wrote:
Actually this option is not slow and does not depend on an internet connected wifi. The hard drive itself uses wifi for connection and you could be in the middle of the desert and still backup. Something like the Seagate Wireless Plus gives you 1 TB of storage. The problem might be cost. Around $160 plus shipping on ebay. That comes to around 16 cents/gb which is much cheaper than using extra memory cards.

Yes it is SLOW.
And he will be camping in Iceland.

Feb 13, 2014 at 04:48 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.5 #4 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

Ok, so I'm looking for a bit of consensus (however unlikely that may be).

I won't have a laptop.

I've cobbled together almost 300gb of cards.

I want to be backed up each day (mine is a once-in-a-lifetime trip).

One of my cameras (Canon 7D) doesn't have dual card slot.

I'm thinking some sort of hyperdrive with a large (at least 500gb) SSD would be a very usable option (yes, expensive).

Is this correct? If so, what ones have people used that work reasonably well (reliable, easy and fast)?

Feb 22, 2014 at 08:10 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.5 #5 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

Which SSD? I have a 500gb 840 seriesSamsung in mine which has done everything I've asked. For a none-laptop backup system, I quite like the Hyperdrive.

Feb 23, 2014 at 01:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

The 500GB Samsung works fine in the Nexto 2730 and the HyperDrive UDMA, though I don't have the HD-UDMA v2 to test with. Almost any modern SSD will work in a PSD, and the speed will be limited by the PSD. Some SSDs may be more power efficient and allow more downloads per charge.

EBH

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:05 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.5 #7 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

I bought the Hyperdrive UDMA and two 500GB SSD, figuring that we can back up to each, each night, keep one in her suitcase and one in mine, and have a very good chance of getting all the photos home. And if we run out of cards, we can re-use them, since we'll be twice-backed-up.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #8 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

FYI, I've now obtained a 2TB Samsung (Seagate) M9T drive. I have not done full testing yet, but it seems to be fine in the ColorSpace UDMA and the Nexto ND2730. It's a great option for those needing high capacity such as for extensive videos in the boonies.

EBH

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:16 AM
thefig

p.5 #9 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

I use my Galaxy S5, connect external hdd to the usb OTG cable (micro usb to usb female), use a usb hub to connect a flash card reader as well, copy from flash card to hdd all through the phones built in file browser, usb 3 is pretty fast.

May 04, 2014 at 12:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.5 #10 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

What is powering the drive, surely not the cell phone?

EBH

May 04, 2014 at 03:11 AM
wvchevy3

p.5 #11 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

I take lots of cf and sd cards, all of mine are between 8-16gig.

May 04, 2014 at 12:30 PM
chriseu

p.5 #12 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

Dustin Gent wrote:
If all goes to plan, I will have my air fare/car rental to Iceland booked next month for a 15 day trip in October. I will be camping/sleeping in car the whole time. More fun that way

There is a good possibility that I won't have a laptop with me. The camera has dual slots, so I could "back up" that way (write same image to both cards). In my searches, I came across THIS INTERESTING solution. I would obviously test this extensively to see how safe it is.

So any suggestions on what to do? I would just
...Show more

Interesting back up solution! I'll have to give that a try sometime. I'm trying to find some low-cost, effective, and portable solution too, since I'll be traveling to the Philippines for about 3 weeks. More of a videographer, so I'll potentially be moving even more data than would be expected.

I've been shopping around and I'm starting to feel that a cheap laptop / netbook is probably one of the easier solutions. Can find some used netbooks for $100 or less. I'd second other people's idea to take lots of cards, but it gives me peace of mind knowing I also have everything on an external hd.

May 06, 2014 at 02:33 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.5 #13 · Traveling w/o computer - backup solutions?

I have made a couple of trips to Africa for extended periods and here is my strategy:
1. take lots of cards so you don't have to delete images just to shoot, cards are pretty cheap these days.
2. I have a Sanho Album which has been replaced with the Hyperdrive, I bought the shell and put a 500 GB drive in it.

Every night after the last game drive I would load the cards into the Album and copy them to the drive while I cleaned the gear, once a card was full it got a red sticker on it, meaning full, do not use. I set up a folder system on the drive so each card had a unique folder for its images. An incremental backup after the first full backup shortened the copy time and saves battery power.

When I got home I essentially had two copies of each file, one on the cards, one on the drive. Murphy never showed his face, probably the belt and suspenders scared him off. But like you, these trips cost a bunch and the opportunity to return may not come your way again and toying with disaster just adds an element of angst to the entire trip you can avoid.

May 08, 2014 at 12:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password