New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Recommend a lightmeter

m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend a lightmeter

With a 2.8E Rollei on the way I'm going to need a light meter. The sunny 16 rule is great, and I'm wanting to get more intuition for lighting, but I'm going to have to confirm with some numbers. In some cases I'll bring the D800, but I don't always want to be hauling two cameras.

I'm thinking a basic meter will do but I see 1 degree spot being really recommended by landscape photogs, especially for B&W. Also, I'm a little confused of the benefit of a retractable lightsphere vs. one that is fixed.

I'd obviously prefer spending less than more and getting only as much meter as I need but I'm having a hard time figuring out what specs to really nail down.

-Matt

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend a lightmeter

The 1 degree meter would work well for landscape work, but there is a leaning curve, you need to know what to meter and how to analyze the info. The retractable dome is just for convenience to get it out of the way when not needed.
There are alot of nice meters on craiglist and ebay, people bought them and found out there was no real need for it. With the Rollei it'll come in handy.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:37 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend a lightmeter

The Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III Meter ($205 new) is a very good, uncomplex, analog ambient light meter. The Kenko KFM-1100 Auto Digi Meter ($305 new) is equally good with digital readout.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend a lightmeter

I have a Sekonic L-358, it's a really good meter.

Jan 09, 2014 at 10:24 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend a lightmeter

An investment into a meter is THAT, an investment.

That being said, If you're not a regular user of a meter..there's going to be an adjustment to your shooting style full out. So complexity is not an issue. You mention the D800 and landscapes..

So the spot metering is a big factor here for you. And given the size of these files, the unusual lighting one encounters whilst shooting landscapes.. Profiling the sensor for the meter will go a long way in work flow.

The L-758DR will offer up everything you'll need and more. Once you have made this part of your shooting methods...It's the same as turning on your blinker to make a turn.. You don't even know you've done it.

I've used meters since the mid 80's with Minolta's line up with the 5 / 1 percent spot metering. When the profiling came out.. I was not only surprised by the variance in sensor/meter, but the accuracy of the two once calibrated and working as a team.

EDIT:

I just thought about a blof you may want to read on.. Gentleman's name is Frank Doorfoh. Fashion and urban photographer from the NL. HUGE proponent of the light meter in work flow.

This is a starter article, but there is much to read..

Frank Doorhof's take away on light meters and uses

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:18 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend a lightmeter

Really appreciate all the comments. Decided on a Sekonic L-478D Litemaster Pro with the 5 degree spot meter. It uses more conventional batteries and while doesn't do 1 degree like some of the others, it's the latest with lots of features I'll have fun getting acquainted with I'll post a follow-up once I've had some time with it.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend a lightmeter

I would go with any of the Sekonic 400 series and above depending on your exact needs

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.