New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

I've had a few piece of long glass over the years and I've always appreciated the hard trunks to take the 300+ 2.8 and beyond in the trunk to shoot. Or when traveling.

They now give us a small black sack made of flammable nylon and velcro to haul $5,000.00 around inside.. I can see the costs saving for them, I don't see how it's doing us any favors. I ask this question as I've just received my first Barbie dollhouse lens bag from Nikon and I'm just not feel'in the love here anymore...

What say you?

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:04 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

Sell the nylon case on ebay for like $100, and buy a pelican for the same price.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:23 PM
mmarconi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

I have soft case for my 300 2.8 and both the trunk and soft case for my 500 f4. Gotta say I like/use the soft cases much more. Easier to transport with and you can have a body attached when using the soft cases. The trunks are great for shipping but how often do you do that.

Mike

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

Case? What's this "case" you speak of?

Seriously, I usually keep my long lenses in a rolling case with multiple pieces of gear. I have some big Think Tank case right now that keeps the 600mm - and pretty much the rest of my gear - all in one place. Anytime I'm about to use the lens though, it's out and mounted to a tripod in my truck - no case.

I never liked the trunks and never used them - I feel like it's too obvious a target for thieves.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:40 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

I use the http://www.tenba.com/Products/Transport-Long-Lens-Bags-300mm-2_8.aspx for my 300/4 with the body and TCs attached. Of all my bags (and I have plenty) this is number one, and really the only one for the 300/4, IMO. It is reasonably priced and of extremely high quality.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:41 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

Keeping in mind, Nikon has to supply 'something' to house the glass. That being said. Do you feel that Nylon bag is the equivalent to what we used to get as part of our purchase?

So clearly no. Hell, even if you wanted to use it as a novelty item it has more value than this black sack.

Their manufacturing costs have fallen, we still pay higher prices for the glass. And then end up buying ThinkTank, TENBA.. whatever to carry them. Whether you felt the hard cases were some sort of target or not. They worked. I dropped them down 35 step escalators... tumbling away, only to find my gear in 100% working order. You wouldn't get away with a fall like that with this nylon sack.

Jan 07, 2014 at 12:52 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

The hard case is a real pain to travel with: heavy, hard to carry with either the handle or shoulder strap, and attracts attention. After using it on one trip I bought a Kinesis soft case.

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:14 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

my 200-400 is in the sack..... it works fine for me

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:35 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

For all reasons other than practical, I *much* prefer the hard case. In reality, for moving around I'm already handling a Pelican 1510 and at least two tripods - and since I'm by myself most of the time, with the nylon case I can at least sling it over one shoulder and still manage. So I had to begrudge my vote to the nylon case.

Jan 07, 2014 at 01:46 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

I would bet that most of the trunk style cases ended up in storage due to their bulk. I think most big lenses end up in backpacks as the newer nylon cases aren't roomy enough to carry any extra gear.

Jan 07, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hard Transport trunks or balistic Nylon sack cases

I have absolutely no use for the trunk my 400mm came in. Prefer a nice, well padded soft case that allows body attached.

Other than that, if I wanted a hard case, I'd get a Pelican or similar. Much better made, better padded for impacts, and much more water resistant. you can also customize the foam inside for filters, accessories, etc., and usually much nicer to carry and lug around than the factory trunk. Also doesn't scream "EXPENSIVE CAMERA EQUIPMENT" like a golden box with NIKON across the face.

Jan 07, 2014 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.